Fred and Wilma - The Keys to The World - A pre-trip report

wilma-bride

<<This space intentionally blank>>
Well, here we are again folks. With only 4 months to go until our trip and having almost run out of things to plan, the time has come to start the pre-trippy.

The Cast:

Me – I am Joh and have recently turned 39. For info, I will not be one of those people who turns 40 gracefully. It’s fair to say that I’m dreading the big ‘four oh’ more than a trip to the dentist. Anyway, I digress. I am the (over) planner and organiser. I am a little bit OCD and love nothing more than planning everything to the final detail. This will be my tenth trip to WDW, the first one being 8 years ago for my honeymoon with…

My long-suffering DH – Gary is 45 and this is also his tenth trip. He most dreads the words ‘I’ve been thinking’, which usually precede me begging him to agree to take another trip to Orlando. Those who know me probably think Gary is under the thumb. However, those who know Gary know that he most definitely is not. He does love Orlando and, deep down, I think he probably loves Disney. He agreed to this trip on the understanding that we would be seeing a lot more of Florida. More of that later but, for now, onto the final member of our travelling party…

Our DS, Daniel – 9 years old, this will be his last year as a ‘child’ so we are making the most of buying tickets at child prices. Daniel is a football mad (what that child doesn’t know about football is not worth knowing – mind you, most of what he does know is not worth knowing either), non-stop, active little boy who never stops talking. He wears us both out but we love him dearly. Daniel loves rollercoasters – the wilder, the better – and has finally hit the magic height of 54” so the sky’s the limit now. On our last trip in October, he was still a little (probably no more than a cm) too short for some of the biggest rides so there will be no stopping him this time.

Here we are on the Disney Magic in October 2011
DCL2.jpg

The Background:

As I alluded to before, DH dreads those fateful words, knowing that it means there will be no peace until he agrees to my latest demands. Well, not quite but I’m sure you get the picture. This trip actually took a fair bit of persuasion as Daniel’s behaviour on our last holiday in October last year left an awful lot to be desired. A combination of tiredness, over-excitement and a really bad case of heat rash meant that he was unbearable (at best) for almost the entire holiday. The night that the counsellors at the kids’ club had to speak to us about his behaviour was the last straw and harsh words were exchanged, with Daniel left in no doubt as to what would happen to him if we had any more problems. He did improve towards the end of the holiday but, it’s fair to say that Gary and I were in no real hurry to take another trip with him any time soon. Anyway, given that I am far more forgiving than my dearest husband, it wasn’t long before the lure of Orlando was too much for me and I broached the subject. Gary was not prepared to budge but, once I presented my case, his weak (our child is a badly behaved brat) argument didn’t stand a chance. Due to a change of circumstances in our household, we have no child care (Daniel having previously been cared for in the school holidays by his older sisters and Grandparents) for the latter part of the summer holidays, meaning we were faced with the prospect of having to take at least 3 weeks off work. All I had to do was persuade Gary that 3 weeks in Florida would be far preferable to spending that time at home and the deal was done.

The Plan:

Now, I could tell you here that we don’t have a plan as such and that we are just going to play it by ear. But you will all know that I am lying so here it is, in all its glory…

Sat 11th August – Fly to Miami. Drive to Key Largo. Stay overnight at the Ocean Pointe Suites, Key Largo.

Sun 12th August – John Pennekamp State Park. Drive to Duck Key. Check in to our home for the next 3 nights, the beautiful Hawks Key Resort.

hawkscay.png

hawkscay1.jpg

Mon 13th August - Day at Key West and dinner at Turtle Kraals with fellow DISers, Karin (dizneeat) and Tom

Tue 14th August – Explore the Keys

Wed 15th August – Drive to Bradenton, stopping for breakfast at Knaus Berry Farm. We are planning to drive the Tamiami Trail across to the West Coast, hoping to see some wildlife along the way. Check in to Shorewalk Vacation Villas.

Thu 16th August – Busch Gardens. This is at the request of the men in my life – who am I to refuse!

Fri 17th August – Chilling/exploring. We are hoping to visit Anna Maria Island and possibly Sarasota. Dinner tonight will be at Yoders Restaurant, of Man v Food fame.

Sat 18th August – On the move again. Today we are off to St Augustine and will be staying at the Hilton Historic Hotel on the bay.

hilton.png

Sun 19th August – Exploring St Augustine. We have pre-purchased the ‘Maximo’ package, which includes trolley tickets, Old Jail tour and entrance to the Alligator Farm (at Daniel’s request) as well as St Augustine History Museum and the oldest store museum experience. We loved St Augustine on our last visit and are really looking forward to spending some more time there.

Mon 20th August – Drive to Orlando. Check in to Royal Pacific Resort, Universal.

Tue 21st August-Thu 23rd August – Universal and Islands of Adventure. We also have tickets for Legoland so will probably visit on one of these three days. Plus, we have tickets for Blue Man Group on the Thursday night.

Fri 24th August – Home sweet home, Disney here we come. Today we will check in to the only WDW DVC resort we have yet to stay at, Beach Club Villas. To say I am excited is an understatement. Gary and I have stayed at Boardwalk Villas and love the location and proximity to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, so I have no doubt that we will be happy here and I am sure that Daniel will equally love Stormalong Bay. We will spend the remainder of our holiday here and have 6-day hoppers for Disney so haven’t got any firm plans for these few days, we will just – gasp – go with the flow.

So, there you have it. I am fairly sure we will need a rest when we get home, although that is why we have planned our Disney stay for the end of the holiday. We have been to WDW enough times now that we don’t feel the need to have to do everything. Also, given that it is only the three of us, we are able to go with the flow somewhat. Although our accommodation plans are set in stone, everything else that we have planned can be done to suit so, if we are tired or don’t feel up to it, we can rearrange things to a certain extent.

Thanks for sticking with me this far.

Joh your plans sound amazing, Pete is sooo Jealous he has been longing to take a trip like yours for years. Our annoying almost 16 year old refuses to venture very far from his comfort zone so for peace and quiet the farthesrt we have managed is Miami. we cant wait to read all about your adventures :thumbsup2

I love your pre tr ha it made me chuckle your persuading sounds familiar as I'm always presenting DH with reasons why e should go ha ha!!!

Love the photos of some of the hotels you are staying at they look very nice! I was surprised there was other parts of Florida! It isn't all theme parks lol?!?!

X

Joh your plans sound amazing, Pete is sooo Jealous he has been longing to take a trip like yours for years. Our annoying almost 16 year old refuses to venture very far from his comfort zone so for peace and quiet the farthesrt we have managed is Miami. we cant wait to read all about your adventures :thumbsup2

Rachel, I'm still not convinced it's the best idea with Daniel. He is not the most patient of children and there will be a lot of travelling/driving. Still, Gary has waited long enough for his mini tour of Florida and we are all looking forward to it.

I love your pre tr ha it made me chuckle your persuading sounds familiar as I'm always presenting DH with reasons why e should go ha ha!!!

Love the photos of some of the hotels you are staying at they look very nice! I was surprised there was other parts of Florida! It isn't all theme parks lol?!?!

X

I do spend a lot of time trying to persuade DH but I usually end up telling him that we both know he will eventually give in so he should just save us both time and effort and say 'yes' straight away :rotfl:

Hi Joh. Your plans look so exciting, this must be the longest you've been for. Hoping to still meet up, did you get my pm?

Hi Joh. Your plans look so exciting, this must be the longest you've been for. Hoping to still meet up, did you get my pm?

Yes, I did. Definitely hoping to meet up with you and hopefully share a drink (or two) around the pool at RPR :thumbsup2

I think our next Florida trip might be similar to this so looking for lots of tips please.

Like the TR title but where are Fred & Wilma!?!?

I think our next Florida trip might be similar to this so looking for lots of tips please.

Like the TR title but where are Fred & Wilma!?!?

Gary came up with the title. I just forgot to add Fred and Wilma in - have edited the title to show that Fred and Wilma are still alive and kicking :)

Sounds like a great trip Joh. Look forward to hearing all about it. :thumbsup2

All sounds wonderful Joh - I am sure you will all have a fabulous trip.

Can't wait for the trip report proper when you get back

Tam

Sounds very exciting, DH wanted to explore more of Florida but it'll be our 1st trip to WDW that will have to wait.

Turning 40 isn't that bad, just embrace and enjoy! I agree with not being graceful about it though!

DD1 has a tendency to be badly behaved when out of routine and on holiday, so fingers crossed that the excitement of WDW will distract this, we've got lots of breaks and water park visits planned.

That's a lovely photo of the 3 of you on the cruise, Daniel looks like "butter wouldn't melt in his mouth"!!!

Sounds good. Still find it funny that yet again you are travelling back when we go:rotfl2: so one day we might meet in floriday:thumbsup2

Your trip sounds absolutely amazing! Can't wait to read more :)

It's always the most sweet angelic looking ones who have the inner Stitch in them ;)

Yay, looking forward to this one. I'll hoping for lots of tips too.:goodvibes

Can't blame me for this one, it's all your own work.

But I've been thinking...............;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts