Freaking Out!!

littlebitsmom

Mouseketeer
I just checked my credit card statement, and I have been charged $296.45 for Shipboard charges that I have no idea what they are! I reconciled my summary of charges that we received the morning we left (which was this past Tuesday), and everything we spent was on there. I just called the 800 # and filed a report, but they said it could take 2 to 3 weeks. Did this happen to anyone else? Anybody know how I can get this resolved ASAP? I was not counting on these extra charges and am very upset it takes so long to figure out what they are for!

I fully agree that it makes no sense that it takes weeks to get a documentation of what the charges are for. I am trusting that you are checking your credit card statement on line. My suggestion is that when you receive your credit card statement in print that if you have not yet received the DCL explanation you dispute the charge with the credit card company. That way you will not pay this charge until the dispute is resolved.

It is a very odd amount--thus it doesn't make sense that it could be tips, stateroom damage/theft, etc.

No, I am not accusing you of theft, but if your host reports something missing from a room, a charge is applied and you need to fight it!

I fully agree that it makes no sense that it takes weeks to get a documentation of what the charges are for. I am trusting that you are checking your credit card statement on line. My suggestion is that when you receive your credit card statement in print that if you have not yet received the DCL explanation you dispute the charge with the credit card company. That way you will not pay this charge until the dispute is resolved.

It is a very odd amount--thus it doesn't make sense that it could be tips, stateroom damage/theft, etc.

No, I am not accusing you of theft, but if your host reports something missing from a room, a charge is applied and you need to fight it!

I am racking my brain trying to figure it out. Our big expenses were the Couples Massage, Gratuities and the Atlantis Aquaventure. But all of these were definitely on our Folio. We did not take anything from the room, and double-checked right before we left that both wave phones were there and that we had turned in our DS's wristband from the Oceaneer Lab. These aren't fuel surcharges are they?

I am racking my brain trying to figure it out. Our big expenses were the Couples Massage, Gratuities and the Atlantis Aquaventure. But all of these were definitely on our Folio. We did not take anything from the room, and double-checked right before we left that both wave phones were there and that we had turned in our DS's wristband from the Oceaneer Lab. These aren't fuel surcharges are they?

Did you purchase anything the last morning...like photos from Shutters? Those charges would not show until you left the ship...depending on what time you picked up photos.

Also, sometimes they do get it wrong and may have charged someone else's charges onto your account.

Definitely follow advice from previous poster.

MJ

Did you purchase anything the last morning...like photos from Shutters? Those charges would not show until you left the ship...depending on what time you picked up photos.

Also, sometimes they do get it wrong and may have charged someone else's charges onto your account.

Definitely follow advice from previous poster.

MJ

We ordered 1 8x10 photo on the night before we left, and picked it up and paid for it the morning we left. So I fully expected to see an additional charge for $19.95. That charge does appear on my card and it is separate from the $296.45 unknown amount. I did call back and talked to a supervisor. He said he would call me back either today or Monday... I just hope I can wait that long. This is very frustrating! I'm just glad it's $300 and not $3,000!

Have you checked the total of your folio against what was charged to your card? All your charges may be on your folio, but may not have been processed -- they do this when your charges reach a certain amount.

For example, your total charges are $1100...first DCL uses any OBC you have, then charges your card when the balance owing reaches around $500,then reconciles the last morning.

On our recent cruise, we had OBC of $375, then a charge of about $550, then one of around $400, then one of around $250 the last morning.

So, I would compare the total you spent, against your OBC and CC charges.

We ordered 1 8x10 photo on the night before we left, and picked it up and paid for it the morning we left. So I fully expected to see an additional charge for $19.95. That charge does appear on my card and it is separate from the $296.45 unknown amount. I did call back and talked to a supervisor. He said he would call me back either today or Monday... I just hope I can wait that long. This is very frustrating! I'm just glad it's $300 and not $3,000!

Don't stress, I am sure they will find the original sales receipt and that it was charged to the wrong account! I am probably happens on every cruise. We had it happen to us one time and found that the cast member had written down the card number but they are European and their hand writing looks a little different than American and it was quickly corrected.

We had at least 3 separate charges on our credit card. They charged the card twice while we were still on the ship and then the remainder of the account on the last day. Did you add up all of shipboard charges that show on your credit card and compare it to your final Disney statement and you were still off the $294?

Call your credit card company ASAP and give them the heads up about what is going on. They will fight this on your behalf if you have been charged in error and will let you know exactly what needs to happen for you to "dispute" the charge (most likely a letter to the credit card company that documents the facts to date and your calls with DCL attempting to resolve it).

I feel like an idiot :confused3

I keep track of my credit card charges on a spreadsheet, and the other day when I got home I entered all the charges from the Folio in my spreadsheet. Well, this morning I assumed all charges had posted from the cruise, so I entered the new charges. My balance was a lot higher than I expected, and what I just realized is I entered the $296.45 when I got home and entered it again this morning when I looked at the new charges on my statement.

Sorry for the false alarm. Now I feel terrible! The worst part is I'm an accountant :scared1:

Guess I'll have to wait for the nice guy from Disney to call back now so I can explain to him that is was me and not them...

I keep track of my credit card charges on a spreadsheet, and the other day when I got home I entered all the charges from the Folio in my spreadsheet. Well, this morning I assumed all charges had posted from the cruise, so I entered the new charges. My balance was a lot higher than I expected, and what I just realized is I entered the $296.45 when I got home and entered it again this morning when I looked at the new charges on my statement.

Sorry for the false alarm. Now I feel terrible! The worst part is I'm an accountant :scared1:

Guess I'll have to wait for the nice guy from Disney to call back now so I can explain to him that is was me and not them...

Don't fret!! :goodvibes
If anything you have given us all I good reminder to keep track of expenses and charges to our Credit Card accounts. I know all too often I just pay the bill and don't review the charges, :eek:which is much worse, than your oops.

Glad you found the error :upsidedow . Just goes to show you what the "Post Cruise Blues" can do for your thought processes, eh????:)

You could call now and possibly turn off the 'investigation'.

Would you like to investigate an accounting problem of a client for a couple of days and then have them say, "oh, I figured that out last week."

Would you bill them for the time?

DCL won't bill you - we all just see it down the road . . . yes that's an exteme statement but you catch the point.

Glad you figured it out, we all make mistakes. But like a previous poster wrote; I too am wondering why you don't call and tell them it was a mistake on your end and stop the investigation on their end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter