Freaking out! Have to use trip insurance, anyone BTDT?

megs1313

DIS Veteran
Booked through a TA. purchased insurance. we have two reservations at AKL, one under our name that has DH/me/two kids and one under my mom with her and our 3rd kid. my mom has been admitted to the hospital today and they're keeping her for a week! She was supposed to leave Saturday with our 3rd kid. I assume the trip insurance will work for my mom, BUT my 3rd kid was supposed to be in that room so the tix are linked there along with the park pass reservations AND AKL won't work for my family with our 3rd kid....so I don't know what we will be doing with OUR reservation? Has anyone ever had something like this happen? I've never had to use the trip insurance before! TIA!

Oh no, I'm sorry. I hope your mom is ok.

I would call your TA and see what your options are as they should know what's a covered event and what's not. I think whether you can cancel the whole trip and get money back is going to be dependent on if the trip insurance covers both reservations or if it's separate policies but travel insurance is usually so vague, you may not know until you call. I'd just give the TA a phone call and read over the policy if you can. Good luck. I hope all is ok.

I'm so sorry to hear this - it must be very stressful. First of all, have you called Disney to arrange for your 3rd child to have a place to stay? Will you have to cancel your trip completely? Hopefully, you'll be able to change your resort reservation so your 3rd child can stay with you in your room, and your mom's room will just be canceled. I wouldn't worry about the insurance until I had all of that worked out. As above, you need to contact your TA to get a copy of the travel insurance policy and find out what the process is for filing a claim.

We have used travel insurance once, but not for a Disney trip. DH and I had booked a trip to Europe with a tour group, but then our son had to have open heart surgery, and we had to cancel our trip so we could be home when he was in the hospital. What you need to do is to pull up the travel insurance policy and read through it to find the instructions for filing a claim. There will be forms to fill out, and you may or may not need to have your mom's doctor complete and sign one of them, confirming that she and/or you had to cancel because of her illness. The forms will also ask for you to list what $ losses you had because of this - if you lost the deposit you had on the rooms, the cost of airfare you couldn't use and couldn't change, etc.

However, none of that needs to be done today. Take care of your mom and contact the TA to get details of the policy, then go from there.

Thank you for your kind responses. Our TA worked with Disney, we do have to move resorts, but they transferred my kid to our reservation so we didn't lose her park pass reservations. I'm supposed to double check that it all went well through MDE. They said it could take up to 12 hours to be correct in there, so hopefully there are no issues.

Thank you for your kind responses. Our TA worked with Disney, we do have to move resorts, but they transferred my kid to our reservation so we didn't lose her park pass reservations. I'm supposed to double check that it all went well through MDE. They said it could take up to 12 hours to be correct in there, so hopefully there are no issues.
Oh good, I'm glad that's taken care of. Hope all goes well with your mom - keep us posted as you can, please!

Not for Disney but my parents had to use it for a cruise. My Dad ended up in ICU on a vent days before he was supposed to be on the cruise. They covered my Dad but not my Mom?!?!? She even consulted an attorney but ended up dropping it as the cost was not worth legally pursuing.

Not for Disney but my parents had to use it for a cruise. My Dad ended up in ICU on a vent days before he was supposed to be on the cruise. They covered my Dad but not my Mom?!?!? She even consulted an attorney but ended up dropping it as the cost was not worth legally pursuing.
Wow, that’s sad - and maddening! Everything depends on how the policy is written and the specifics of what it covers.

wouldn’t your Mom need to be quarantined so she couldn’t go or was the cruise 7 days away so she would be out of quarantine?

Could they have done something through the credit card company as no goods/services were provided for the cost.

wouldn’t your Mom need to be quarantined so she couldn’t go or was the cruise 7 days away so she would be out of quarantine?

Could they have done something through the credit card company as no goods/services were provided for the cost.
This was in 2019 pre-covid so there was no quarantine issues at play. He had pneumonia.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter