France ABD and a wheelchair?

Mommywithapassport

Earning My Ears
So I've scoured the interwebs and haven't found much info regarding reviews on the France ABD tour. DH and I are considering taking my son (12yo) and my grandmother (88yo). The problem is she isn't as spry as she used to be. We would bring a collapsible wheelchair as she wouldn't be able to keep up on her own though she could manage a handful of stairs. I spoke with a vacationista at ABD who recommended this tour as being one of the most wheelchair friendly, but I'm wondering if anyone has taken this particular tour and may have input? I generally plan all our vacations, but due to the fact that we're trying to appeal to a wide variety of ages and I don't speak French this seemed like the perfect solution (plus DS and I are addicted to all things Disney...). Any and all input is welcome!

Having traveled to Europe a number of times and find as a whole most areas are not ADA compliant for there is no ADA laws mostly. Small villages in the countryside consist of ages old cobblestone streets and narrow doorways with elevators few and far between. Disney usually does stay in "western" standard hotels but on our Germany trip some were not ADA compliant. I would call back and ask for a supervisor that could give you accurate information. Hopefully the supervisor can speak to one of the actual tour guides to get first hand knowledge of exactly what the trip entails. I hope it works out for you and your family for I'm sure your mother would be thrilled to travel as an extended family.

I'd agree with @carpenta above that in general Europe is challenging for those in wheelchairs. While ABD will do everything it can to assist, at times the barriers will be quite a challenge. The OP indicates that her grandmother is still able to walk around so that will go a long way towards making this do-able. Just be aware that many of the surfaces that she may be asked to walk over can be pretty uneven.

Why oh why can't medieval Europe be ADA compliant lol? The vacationista I spoke with did say that most of their European adventures would not be suitable but that given my situation she thought that Ireland or France would be our best bet and that my grandmother should be able to participate in most of the activities as long as she can manage a bit on her own (which she can- she just doesn't move very fast hence the plan to bring a wheelchair). I guess what I was really hoping for was someone who had recently completed the France itinerary and could chime in.

We just went to france (not on a tour) with DD who was 3, so we had a stroller when walking around a lot. I commented multiple times how much I couldn't imagine being in a wheelchair (esp in Paris) as previously mentioned, it is SO not ADA friendly. That being said, if I was to go with a wheelchair, I can't think of a better company to go with, knowing they will be sure to do the homework ahead of time and get us where we need to go. So if they are saying that a wheelchair is okay, I would definitely not hesitate to go!

As others have said, it would be challenging.
Monet's House at Giverny - we walked up and down steps, and it was a little far from where the bus parked, so I'm not sure if there is another more realistic entrance here.
Mont St Michel would be completely out. You could see the exterior, but the entire day is walking up and down many stone staircases.
Omaha beach may have some limitations, but the bus does parks close to the monument and you could stay up on the sidewalks overlooking the beach. The American Cemetery would be doable.
L'Orangerie I think would be doable. That's a pretty small museum and the Monet's water lilies are on the ground floor.
The Louvre has at least one elevator (I'm sure they have several) but probably not conveniently located, you'll probably cover a lot of ground in the museum.

The Louvre has at least one elevator (I'm sure they have several) but probably not conveniently located, you'll probably cover a lot of ground in the museum.
We found the Louvre to be very complex in its layout and there seldom seemed to be an elevator. Lots of different levels with a few steps between them. Frequent enough to make it inconvenient.

Monet's House at Giverny - we walked up and down steps, and it was a little far from where the bus parked, so I'm not sure if there is another more realistic entrance here.

Agree, the house itself would be very difficult. Narrow halls and stairwells. The house is old and some of the floors are a bit off-kilter. However the beautiful grounds may be doable. I believe that mobility impaired folks can be dropped off much closer to the grounds than the usual field used for bus parking.

OKW Lover & Cousin Orville, y'all have provided me with the exact type of information I was looking for. I feel she'll be able to tackle the house without her wheelchair and with DH by her side (she can walk over a mile by herself when the stars align, paths are even, etc.). It does look as though Mont. St. Michel will be completely out. She'll enjoy L'Orangerie and I believe the highlight for her will be the American Cemetary. We can make the Louvre work as she can walk a (single) flight of stairs (once again DH will save the day and carry the collapsible wheelchair up). I *think* the trip will be doable. Many many thanks to everyone for the input!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter