FP TIER changes at DHS as of August 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was so surprised when they didn’t do this. I was sure they would to help spread out the crowds.

Yesterday I was listening to some podcasts from March, when they announced opening dates for SW:GE. People were saying it sounded like the relevant Disney employees were themselves surprised by the early opening announcement.

I'm not convinced that people close to the parks' operations truly believed that Aug. 29 was the best opening date for guests' experience. The MMRR delay seems like a possible symptom of that. WDW had been confidently promoting a 2019 opening for MMRR for awhile; that seems like a pretty abnormal unforced error for a PR machine like Disney. (I really could be wrong about that. I'd be interested in how frequently WDW PR has to announce such long delays, so close to the originally-announced opening.)

It seems possible that pushing up the SW:GE opening was an unprecedented internal disruption, and that the parks are less prepared than anyone there is accustomed to being. That's totally speculative, but there's a vibe of chaos in all the last-minute changes, especially for a brand that everyone thinks of as a well-oiled machine. That's just my impression, anyway.

I don't get what benefit this is for them to move RnRC and ToT back to Tier 1? The only thing I can think of is they are concerned that the capacity crowds will eat through all the TSL fastpasses, if they were to remain the only ones in Tier 1, before you get anywhere near day of and they need to have something as a Tier 1 available to people. Interesting. Makes me glad my last planned HS day on our end of August trip is Aug 28th.

Have no idea if it's true or not but perhaps you would be able to get 2 Tier 1. That would make sense given the distribution of rides.

I'm new to the SWGE logic. Why will they open that early? Is there any chance they will postpone? It just seems messy.

It seems more and more with SWGE that they had most of the land ready and all of the merch, so why wait on the last ride - let's sell those lightsabers! (at 220 dollars a pop). I'm just amazed at the cost and how many items are available, especially when it's only a simulator ride to start it off. I'm excited for rise of the resistance but I feel they should have waited until it was complete.

I was also reading that they put a restriction on the imagineers to only use Disney canon for the land. That makes me sad since there were a lot more exciting locals available than a new outpost only featured in one book so far. I'm guessing the next trilogy is going to be a tie in with Thrawn...

So, is this change an attempt to make standby lines at the more popular rides longer to try to control crowds in SWGE? I mean, now you need to burn through one Tier 1 and two Tier 2's to try to get a FP+ for another Tier 1, so essentially, delaying people by at least 2 hours to attempt to get that second Tier 1. Does that make sense?

I would interpret it as a move to try to dissuade people from going to HS. The park will already be packed with people who want to see SWGE in earnest and the visitor with the casual interest now has even less incentive to make their 3 FP selections there now and will probably decide to use them in another park, thus spreading the crowd a bit.

I am beyond pissed about this. So I’ll spend the entirety of my DHS days in line.

Universal is going to be a welcome change when we switch to it for the latter part of our vacation. Disney is really screwing up all my plans.

Seriously. I am so turned off by dhs for September now I am concidering dropping 2 days of tickets and not going to the studios and taking the family to universal for a Day or two...

Ugh--we like Star Tours, and it looks like that's going to be an impossible ride to get a FP for with these changes. I'm also worried that these changes will push people into shows who previously wouldn't have gone to shows just so they can use their Tier 2's. So will all the shows suddenly get a lot more crowded and have longer standby waits? We're going for a short trip in November (after EEMH ends) and will have only half a day for HS. We knew that might mean that we had to skip GE, but we figured we'd still enjoy the rest of HS. Now I'm wondering if going to HS will even be worth it for a half day. I suspect that we'll go to HS if they extend EEMH to our dates, but if they don't we may change our last day plans entirely and repeat one of the other 3 parks. I'm so impatient--I want to plan it NOW, not wait and see for months.

Ugh. I am extremely annoyed by this. I booked the first week of September for lower crowds and food and wine. (Well before the awful news of the early GE opening)
if Disney’s plan was to get people to avoid HS, it’s working.
I will probably just skip it all together. 1 fastpass on top Of ridiculous crowds is not worth going. I have zero desire to wake up at 4:00 to get ready for a 6:00 opening either.

Universal is going to be a welcome change when we switch to it for the latter part of our vacation. Disney is really screwing up all my plans.
This doesn't screw with my plans too bad because we already were wary of DHS and were thinking of doing EPCOT instead -- but it's another thing that makes me see the Universal part of our trip as kind of a relief. The only planning surprises I've gotten from Universal are actually positive surprises. I'm not worried about ending up in a bad spot there, except the usual illness, injury, hurricane, earthquake, assorted acts of God.

But on the WDW side ... it seems like Disney puts this really elevated planning burden on the guests, but they keep moving the goalposts. It has me feeling like I've got to watch my back.

Trust issues, man. They're not vacationy. 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter