Fort Wilderness Cabin or AKL?

chrisann

DIS Veteran
I never even thought about this before, but I was just reading about these cabins , and it seems they'd be perfect for us. We have an 18month old and a 5yr old. We currently have a savannah view at AKL reserved and I know that you can't really compare them but I'm wondering which one is easier to get from MK(where we will be spending most of our time), plus I'm wondering if anyone has any other picture other than the ones posted on allears.net

Thanks

FW is on the South side of Bay Lake - think of Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake as a set of dumbells laying on their side with the channel between the two bodies being the water bridge next to the Contemporary, Bay Lake is the 'bell' to the right with FW on the bottom (South) of it.

The MK is located on the 'top' of the Seven Seas Lagoon 'bell' so to get to the MK you take a very pleasant boat ride past WL and the Contemporary to the park. Oh - there is also a modest bus ride (or walk or rent a golf cart :-) to get from your Cabin to the boat dock.

Alas AKL is as far as you can get from the MK :-( and still be at WDW. I love the place and we've stayed there the last two trips - but our kids are all grown up now.

The cabins are basically disguised trailers and are very comfortable, expecially for families who want to spread out a little and do their own cooking - a condo sort of thing.

Not to muddy the water - but when our two were little we always stayed at the Polynesian. The ability to get back to the hotel from the MK for a nap in less than 5 minutes was priceless. So unless you are planning to do your own cooking I'd suggest that.

Have Fun!

I would keep the AKL room. We found the cabins to be incredibly inconvenient. To get around the resort (and it's huge), we rented a golf cart. It was $40 per day. We didn't want to wait for the buses, so we had to factor the cost of the golf cart in when comparing resorts. Once we got to the boat dock, we had to park the golf cart and then get a long boat ride over to MK, with stops at CR and WL as I recall.

AKL has buses that run directly from AKL to MK with no stops anywhere else. We thought that was fine. Frankly, we found staying off-site at HIFS to be more convenient that the FW cabins.

Finally, nothing special about the cabins, except the separate bedroom to put the kids in while you watch TV in the living room is nice. Just as nice, however, would be putting the kids down and then enjoying some quite time out on the balcony watching the animals. AKL with a savannah view is an entirely unique and special experience IMO.

I'd keep the reservations you have.

According to someone on another board who was scheduled to check in today, Fort Wilderness is closed indefinitely. They suffered some tree damage from Frances and with Ivan looming in the near future, I guess they felt uncomfortable reopening so soon. People who currently have reservations are being shifted to other hotels, mostly Port Orleans.

(9/10/04 9:22 am)

OK, just got off of the phone with the Disney Operator.

We have to go to the front desk of Fort Wilderness, and when we get there, they will let us know which hotel we are being moved to.

There is tree damage, and some of the roads are not drivable, and they dont want to fill the resort if they are going to have to empty it in a few days if Ivan comes, that is what they told me.

Keep the AKL reservation...your kids will LOVE seeing the animals from the balcony! We found the bus service very efficient, as there is only the one AKL stop, then straight through to wherever you are going. Don't worry. I did (about being SO FAR from the MK) and it turned out to be a non-issue. It was roughly 15-20 minutes on the bus, and we never waited more than 5-10 minutes to catch a bus. You'll have a great time!

Just wanted to add that my DD was 17months when we were there. It was SO great! :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts