Fort Lauderdale vs Miami post cruise

Partyof4LA

Mouseketeer
We are cruising on the Magic out of Miami in February. We fly southwest, so will have to fly into and out of Fort Lauderdale airport. We haven't nailed down the details since southwest hasn't opened flights yet (that's tomorrow), but we are thinking we'll fly in the night before, take a shuttle from FLL to a hotel closer to port in Miami, then a cab or something to port in the morning.
We have a few nights after the cruise before we have to fly back home. We've never been to either Miami or Fort Lauderdale before. With two kids aged 10 and 5, which city would you stay in? Pros/cons of each? Any suggestions on things to do?

Are you going to have a car? That would open up your options significantly as there are fun things to do with kids in both places. We stayed in both cities numerous times with our kids before and after cruises.

If you like zoos the Miami Zoo is one of our favorites. Jungle Island is also a really neat place to take the kids. For the 5yr old, The Miami Children's Museum is right next to Jungle Island and has a play cruise ship area among other things.

In the Ft. Lauderdale area Flamingo Gardens is kind of neat, the Museum of Discovery and Science is also worth a visit. The riverfront area is very nice and there is always the water taxi or a canal tour. Further north the Palm Beach zoo is smallish, but really well done and with a visit if you are going that direction.

Maybe head out to the everglades and do one of the tours that includes an airboat ride.

I would pick what you want to do first and then make your hotel location choice based on that. Grab a car for the couple days after the cruise and then it won't really matter so much which city you are staying in.

Thanks for the suggestions! We are flying in and weren't planning to rent a car, but can if we need to. I've heard driving in Miami is scary haha

You can easily see alligators and other wildlife at Shark River Valley in the Everglades. The water taxi in Fort Lauderdale will take you all over town- there's a day pass, and may be a discount through Groupon or LivingSocial (water taxi and water shuttle are NOT the same- the water taxi has a bigger route system). There's always the beach!

There are several beaches north of miami very appropriate for families (not miami proper). In the past 14 months, we've vacationed in both Ft Lauderdale and a beach north of miami, and with a car, I would recommend looking a bit north of Miami but south of Ft Lauderdale if that helps.

What we did was stay at a hotel with shuttle to the airport at ft Lauderdale. We could then take the shuttle to the airport and then catch the SAS shuttle to the Miami Cruise Port. While we were staying in Fort Lauderdale we used a car to visit the Everglades and Miami sights ( about 1 hour by car ) and the local sights.

Even if you stay in Miami you probably need a car.

What we did was stay at a hotel with shuttle to the airport at ft Lauderdale. We could then take the shuttle to the airport and then catch the SAS shuttle to the Miami Cruise Port. While we were staying in Fort Lauderdale we used a car to visit the Everglades and Miami sights ( about 1 hour by car ) and the local sights.

Even if you stay in Miami you probably need a car.

If you don't mind walking or using a combination of HOHO buses, the Metro Mover (I think that is what it's called) and lyft, there is absolutely no need to rent a car. I spent 7 days in Miami Beach and Miami between winter break and spring break and didn't even ponder renting a car.

If you don't mind walking or using a combination of HOHO buses, the Metro Mover (I think that is what it's called) and lyft, there is absolutely no need to rent a car. I spent 7 days in Miami Beach and Miami between winter break and spring break and didn't even ponder renting a car.

OP has little kids so public trans may become more of a hassle than it's worth. And my girls must have heard the "bad" Uber news stories and won't use them. Lol We didn't need a car either in FLL or Miami but our resorts were on the beach and there was everything we needed in walking distance. But the cabs to and from the airport were probably as much as renting a car would have been. Parking costs were why we opted not to rent.

OP has little kids so public trans may become more of a hassle than it's worth. And my girls must have heard the "bad" Uber news stories and won't use them. Lol We didn't need a car either in FLL or Miami but our resorts were on the beach and there was everything we needed in walking distance. But the cabs to and from the airport were probably as much as renting a car would have been. Parking costs were why we opted not to rent.

I don't use uber either. I use lyft. Much better experiences.

And by HOHO I did not mean public transportation. I meant the HopOnHopOff tour buses. Most will hit the spots people want to see and you can get off at them if you choose.

I don't use uber either. I use lyft. Much better experiences.

And by HOHO I did not mean public transportation. I meant the HopOnHopOff tour buses. Most will hit the spots people want to see and you can get off at them if you choose.

I.knew what you meant, i should have said "mass transportation," hard when herding little ones in unfamiliar cities. ..

We stayed at the Sheraton FLL and had SAS pick up up at the hotel and take us right to the port. It was $13 per person because we had six. Fewer people is $15 per person. They can pick you up at port and take you back to the hotel or airport after. We wanted to see Miami so we rented a car and drove around and saw the beach before making our way to the FLL airport. All the car companies have shuttles that pick up at port and you can rent a car in Miami and drop it off at FLL.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!
What is SAS? I've seen several posts about it and figure its a transportation company but wasn't sure.

There is a doubletree being built in Hollywood Beach, it opens this November and we cruise in February. I got a great price for it with an employee discount so I tentatively have that booked. It is a little south of Fort Lauderdale and not far from the FLL airport. The website says it is steps from the beach and there is a Fort Lauderdale water taxi stop at the resort. Anyone familiar with the Hollywood Beach area? Is it a clean, family friendly area? Is it too far from everything or will we be able to find things to do nearby?

Thanks for all of the suggestions!
What is SAS? I've seen several posts about it and figure its a transportation company but wasn't sure.

There is a doubletree being built in Hollywood Beach, it opens this November and we cruise in February. I got a great price for it with an employee discount so I tentatively have that booked. It is a little south of Fort Lauderdale and not far from the FLL airport. The website says it is steps from the beach and there is a Fort Lauderdale water taxi stop at the resort. Anyone familiar with the Hollywood Beach area? Is it a clean, family friendly area? Is it too far from everything or will we be able to find things to do nearby?
http://www.ridesas.com/ I don't know anything about the hotel though

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter