Former DVC Owner Wanting to Purchase Again

famsen

DIS Veteran
So my scenario is that about 10 years ago we purchased DVC. About 5 years into it I lost my job and things were very tight financially. We "gave back" our DVC about 3 years ago. Things have since changed and we are in a much better financial situation than we were 3 years ago. I've been with my current employer over 3 years and make a much better salary than I did when we first bought DVC. My husband is with the same company for 20 years. Giving up DVC was so heart breaking. We just returned from our stay at WL and SO badly wanted to take a tour and buy into DVC again. My concern is would it be frowned upon by DVC that we gave back our ownership several years ago? Would there be any issues with them given our past record? It was a clean breakaway because as they always said when we bought it, if ever the day comes that you can no longer afford it you can give it back no harm done and that is exactly what happened. It does not affect our credit at all since it is not reported to the credit bureaus. Our FICO scores are even better than they were 10 years ago. Has anyone else been in this situation?

To my best knowledge DVC don’t care. They make a sale if you go direct, I you buy resale DVC don’t have any saying.

I would assume that they would welcome you back with open arms. They were able to take your partially paid off contract and then sell it for full price to someone else. Like you said, no harm done there. I would bet they would just treat you as a brand new buyer once again. What's the harm to them if the same thing were to happen again (not that I think it will)?

Are you sure it was truly a clean break with no ramifications? If there were any outstanding dues owed, I’d expect them to bill them against your new membership. And, I know Disney is very lenient with their financing, but I think Someone who defaulted with them 3 years ago wouldn’t qualify for a loan.

Since you’ve been members before, you should know how the system works. My main advice would be to buy resale, buy where you want to stay, and don’t finance.

Hopefully you don’t need financing for your purchase, but if you do I would look outside of DVC for your loan. There are several lenders who have better rates, especially if you have a decent credit score. Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter