Formal, semi formal & Lumiere's

Tab2Disney

Mouseketeer
Hi,
I'm trying to prepare my very informal family for the formal and semi formal nights onboard the "Magic"
I have been reading in the Passporters guide and I'm a little confused.
On pages 132 and 133, they have a Dining schedule (for the 7 day E. Carib), and what they call an "Anticipated Dining Rotation"
Now I understand nothing is, written in stone, these can change and I am only making a guess based on how other cruises have gone.
But, If the second day of the cruise is the Formal night and that is our night at Lumiere's, then the sixth day is the Semi formal night then based on rotation we would be at Animator's Palate. In the book (on pg 312) where you read about the Formal and semi formal wear, they comment: "In addition, you are asked to wear semi-formal attire when you eat dinner in Lumiere's."
So, basically what I am trying to figure out is that with this type of rotation we would need Formal wear for one night and semi-formal wear for two more nights. One night being the regular scheduled one the other one being our last night at Lumiere's. Am I correct in the way I understand this?
Does anyone know anything different?
Thanks!

Now I know why I've never purchased the Passporters.

Dress is by the night, not the restaurant. There is one formal night, one semi-formal night, one priate night, and the rest are cruise casual.

I am sure there will be many that will expand on this.

Bruce is correct....except as noted above, the suggested dress for each night is "cruise casual." The obvious exception is if you choose to dine at Palo, which has its own dress code and that code is enforced.

With the advent of luggage charges, the cruise has generally become a bit more casual. We aren't seeing as many real formals as we used to.

Now I know why I've never purchased the Passporters.

Dress is by the night, not the restaurant. There is one formal night, one semi-formal night, one priate night, and the rest are cruise casual.

I am sure there will be many that will expand on this.

:rotfl2: That line sounds like it has not been revised since the first DCL PP was printed. The dress used to be with the dining room along with the formal nights but that hasn't been the case in a very long time.

OK,
So for my crew that basicly "loves their jeans" and can handle Khakis; what's the best course for planning?
One dressy outfit (a suit, but is tie optional?) for formal night, and will Khakis and a nice button down work for semi formal?
:confused3
Comfort is key for these guys. They aren't into being to hip and stylish.
Thanks for the help!

I'm taking a group of 5 new high school graduates on my next cruise...the guys don't want to dress up at all. I've asked them to do khaki's and a button down shirt for both formal and semi, and said that I'd appreciate a tie, but won't require it. I know, it's not as dressed up as many people think is proper, nor is it as dressed as we do as a family, but it will be OK. For the other nights, I've told them jeans or khaki's and a collared t-shirt. Basically, I told them to look like they were wearing their choir "dress" uniforms for the dress up nights.

We also have very limited luggage space, which works with their desires. The girls, on the other hand, want to re-use their prom dresses......

Here's my paln for my very casual family.

DS is 17 need I say more?! Khaki pants and button up shirts for dinner since he owns no Polos I will not go and buy them just for a cruise. Jeans are ok on casual nights so long as they have no rips or tears--taht eliminates most of his jeans, but I am noticing a trend towards more tidy lately.
For semi formal and formal night he will wear charcoal Dockers and a white dress shirt with tie. I may let the tie slide on semi formal night.

DH will have a suit for formal night and Palo, Dockers and shirt with tie for semi formal night, and khaki's and polo shirt/Tommy Bahama shirt other nights.

DD and I will have semi formal dresses and formal dresses--though I may choose a pantsuit for semi formal, and for the rest we have capris and blouses.

Here's my paln for my very casual family.

DS is 17 need I say more?! Khaki pants and button up shirts for dinner since he owns no Polos I will not go and buy them just for a cruise. Jeans are ok on casual nights so long as they have no rips or tears--taht eliminates most of his jeans, but I am noticing a trend towards more tidy lately.
For semi formal and formal night he will wear charcoal Dockers and a white dress shirt with tie. I may let the tie slide on semi formal night.

DH will have a suit for formal night and Palo, Dockers and shirt with tie for semi formal night, and khaki's and polo shirt/Tommy Bahama shirt other nights.

DD and I will have semi formal dresses and formal dresses--though I may choose a pantsuit for semi formal, and for the rest we have capris and blouses.

:worship:
Now that sounds like a great plan!!
Thanks a million!!
This takes a load off my mind and a lot a problems out of the packing.
:thumbsup2

I'm going to defend Passporters a little here. Their current 2009 Passporter DCL is factual on this information and it's listed on page 128. (One formal, one semi, one pirate, four casual-not dependent on restaurant) Now their 2009 WDW book is pretty hopeless on some of the info in there. Still no review of T-Rex. ADRs are still listed as 180 days.

My tip for the OP:Things change very fast in the world of Disney. While you don't have to have an up to date guide book, if you don't there will be some stuff in there that isn't current. Some of the people you talk to from Disney might even contradict other people from Disney. If something doesn't sound right, don't be afraid to ask someone else.

Hi,
I'm trying to prepare my very informal family for the formal and semi formal nights onboard the "Magic"
I have been reading in the Passporters guide and I'm a little confused.
On pages 132 and 133, they have a Dining schedule (for the 7 day E. Carib), and what they call an "Anticipated Dining Rotation"
Now I understand nothing is, written in stone, these can change and I am only making a guess based on how other cruises have gone.
But, If the second day of the cruise is the Formal night and that is our night at Lumiere's, then the sixth day is the Semi formal night then based on rotation we would be at Animator's Palate. In the book (on pg 312) where you read about the Formal and semi formal wear, they comment: "In addition, you are asked to wear semi-formal attire when you eat dinner in Lumiere's."
So, basically what I am trying to figure out is that with this type of rotation we would need Formal wear for one night and semi-formal wear for two more nights. One night being the regular scheduled one the other one being our last night at Lumiere's. Am I correct in the way I understand this?
Does anyone know anything different?
Thanks!

You also have the option to eat at Topsider's if you don't feel like dealing with any of it. We've never done it but keep saying 'next time' we'll try it. Sometimes packing so much stuff gets old fast.

Just got back last night from the Magic. My rotation was APLAPLA, formal night was on Sunday and Semi Formal was Thursday. Pirate Night was Tuesday (day we were in Tortola). The rest of the days were cruise casual. Also we had the 8:15 dinner seating

On formal night my three boys wore khaki pants, & button down shirt (NO TIE) & pretty much the same on semi-formal night. I didn't notice what anyone was wearing & I'm sure they weren't looking at us. My kids were comfty & relaxed & well-behaved. That's all I can ask for. DO NOT STRESS.

Just got back last night from the Magic. My rotation was APLAPLA, formal night was on Sunday and Semi Formal was Thursday. Pirate Night was Tuesday (day we were in Tortola). The rest of the days were cruise casual. Also we had the 8:15 dinner seating

No more APLLAPL, etc.? Were your seating times staggered or were they all at 5:45 for early and 8:15 for late?

As of April on the Magic...no more staggered dining times. All are either 5:45 or 8:15....and have the "dine and play" option where the CMs pick up kids from the dining rooms after a brief eating time.

As of April on the Magic...no more staggered dining times. All are either 5:45 or 8:15....and have the "dine and play" option where the CMs pick up kids from the dining rooms after a brief eating time.

I called TA yesterday who in turn called DCL..we are on 6:00 dinning time for 6/13. Wonder if the times are staggared again?

Is a polo & khakis expectable for semi-formal for DH??

You will see everything from casual to very dressy on formal night. I don't think anyone honestly pays any attention. We dress up because we love doing so and it's about the only chance we ever do so. Also, it's a great time to get family pics with our hectic schedules. I think khaki's and nice shirts are fine and they'll be comfortable also. :)

You will see everything from casual to very dressy on formal night. I don't think anyone honestly pays any attention. We dress up because we love doing so and it's about the only chance we ever do so. Also, it's a great time to get family pics with our hectic schedules. I think khaki's and nice shirts are fine and they'll be comfortable also. :)

DH were dress shirt & tie last time, but needs new dress shirt. He has plenty of polos that he wears to work, so that will work! Thanks!

People do wear a broad range of styles for the formal & semi-formal nights. That said, there is always that one family who shows up to formal night in jeans or shorts, and they look noticeably out of place. I know some people don't like to dress up, but there's no need to thumb your nose at the dress suggestions either by deliberately wearing your rattiest clothes.

No more APLLAPL, etc.? Were your seating times staggered or were they all at 5:45 for early and 8:15 for late?

The Western cruises have the repeat on nights three and four, the Eastern do not (so the Eastern equivalent would be aplapla).

And, as posted, no staggered times on the Magic (till they change it again).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter