For those who think the DCL food is "meh"

I loved Palo the first time I ate there. The 2nd time I was seasick and could only nibble a bite or 2.
I still say do the brunch because the food is good and it is different than any other dining on the ship.

While I agree that the food might be "over-hyped", I don't think the overall experience of Palo is "over-hyped". We loved our server (possibly the best service we've ever had, anywhere), and the quiet, cozy atmosphere was splendid. Getting dressed up to visit an "exclusive" restaurant is a pleasure unto itself. I don't see how anyone could "not enjoy" a dinner at Palo... the food isn't 5-star, but it *IS* better than the main restaurants (for the most part) ... and best of all, you can enjoy a romantic dinner without the kids! ;)

We had dinner at Palo, then strolled the deck to watch the ocean... and ended up having some coffee at the Cove Cafe. It was a nice, grown-up evening. We will certainly do it again.

I have to agree that the food may be slightly over hyped - but the fact that you can try everything on the menu or off the menu for that matter and not pay extra (above the $15) along with the athmosphere it makes for a special night out away from the kids. As an example this past september we were velebrating our 17th anniversary. Surf and turf wasn't on the menu but they got it for my hubby. I was having the lamb and they brought me a lobster tail to try... they also brought a salad for each of us, a pizza to share, 3 appetizers aboive what we had ordered. We were stuffed at the end of dinner and tried to pass on dessert, but they brought out a souffle and 2 others. We didn't even sample any of them we were so stuffed. We walked the deck and when we got back to our cabin there was a dessert tray with 4 desserts, and a message to call Palo. When we called they were ready to send a souffle to the cabin. We politely said no. The next night at dinner Pascal brought us our dessert and it was chocolate souffles for the table. Sorry - you can say the food isn't the best in the world, but it is the service and the athmosphere that make it special!

Sue

We recently ate at Palo (Sept 09) for dinner for the first time (have done several brunches in the past). While it was good, we felt it wasn't something that we needed to do again. The service was wonderful and we were very happy with the meal but for us it really wasn't worth it.

Palo was about 3 steps better than the main dining rooms.. which frankly,overall, disappointed us except for the occasional first or second course.

the ONLY desert I liked the entire week ..was Palo's Souffle

That being said, I have eaten MUCH Better here in the DC area on a regular basis.

It was good, and worth the extra price for what you get above and beyond the food itself, but NOT Michelin Cuisine by any stretch.

To be honest to he overall food quality was the most disappointing aspect of the entire cruise and was enough of an issue that we will really need a major great deal like we had for the Magic in September to tempt us to spend that kind of money again on DCL.

Palo is Horrible~ No one should go there~ the food is the worst~ especially the tomato pizza , the Fillet Mignon, the chocolate souffle, the lasagna too! We ate there every cruise we went on, sometimes two times a cruise~ Stay away! Never ever ask for Sasha, he has always been our server on the Magic, very bad don't ask for him.
Especially during the Month of July 2010,(Wonder Double Dip) while I'm at it, the Cove Cafe is just as horrible, as well as the adult only pool deck chairs. The chairs on the port side by the pool, the first two are the worst in the industry I would not sit there if I were you in the morning from say 0900 to 1200 and after lunch from 1300 to around 1520.
;)

OT - but never, ever, for any reason try to book the Roy or Walt....

To be honest to he overall food quality was the most disappointing aspect of the entire cruise and was enough of an issue that we will really need a major great deal like we had for the Magic in September to tempt us to spend that kind of money again on DCL.

We agree. My husband is against booking Palo because he thinks DCL food is much like what he ate at WDW counter service. I'm hoping for better at Palo brunch since we'll be celebrating our anniversary.

We LOVED Palo. while the food & experience were fantastic, i think it stood out so greatly because we felt the 3 main dining rooms were pretty awful. On our next cruise, we plan to try to eat in Palo as much as possible.

We agree. My husband is against booking Palo because he thinks DCL food is much like what he ate at WDW counter service. I'm hoping for better at Palo brunch since we'll be celebrating our anniversary.

Relative to the rotational restaurants, Palo would be the park equivalent of the best WDW Signature restaurant - whichever you think that is (excepting V&A). It is still Disney but is a HUGE cut above CS or for that matter "regular" TS restaurants.

Is it the best meal I've ever had?; hardly. But the experience is nice, the service is good and the food is much better overall than the rotation restaurants. Your choice for brunch over dinner is wise. We thought brunch was much more interesting and overall more consistent.

The choc souffle was tasty and the cheese and grape pizza a winner though!

We LOVED Palo. while the food & experience were fantastic, i think it stood out so greatly because we felt the 3 main dining rooms were pretty awful. On our next cruise, we plan to try to eat in Palo as much as possible.

Agreed. The standard of excellence is relative on the ship...

If we didn't have children with whom we wish to spend "quality time" at meals, we too would be trying to maximize our Palo time.

Is it the best meal I've ever had?; hardly. But the experience is nice, the service is good and the food is much better overall than the rotation restaurants. Your choice for brunch over dinner is wise. We thought brunch was much more interesting and overall more consistent.

The choc souffle was tasty and the cheese and grape pizza a winner though!

I completely agree with all of these comments. I am a person who thinks the food in the rotational rooms is "meh" at best. As someone else said, some ok first or second courses, but I did not enjoy a single one of the main entrees. A couple of bites and I was done with those.

Palo is a nice experience and I enjoy it very much, but I definitely prefer the "stinky cheese display" and multitude of seafood at brunch.

We are food snobs but I still like the food on Disney Cruise and at the parks but only because I am not cooking it. It is more of a vacation for me. I think the food is better than TGI Fridays, Chili's, etc... So, I don't think the food at Disney or the cruise is at the BOTTOM of the barrel. I do agree with the PP about the grilling part. Grilled food tastes so much better not saying that you cannot have a good meal without grill. I like the food at Palo much better than the dining rooms. One of my favorite meals that I enjoy is at Mama's Fishhouse in Maui. For the 4 of us our bill is usually in the $300 range. It is the best food I've ever had in my life. However, realistically we cannot eat food at the price on a daily basis. So, I'm happy with Palo and DCL food.

It is really difficult to get my family to eat out at home because they love Mom's cooking. However, sometimes I need a break from the duties. So, I'll be happy to eat anywhere on the Cruise!

My wife and I are somewhat "food snobs". She is not a pro, but does follow the "Jacque Pepin method" and cooks dishes at home that could put many chefs to shame. We have a hard time finding restaurants we like, because (in our opinion) my wife cooks way better versions at home.

That being said... we found the food at Palo's to be prepared and presented well, a noticeable level above the food in the regular dining rooms. However, it doesn't approach the flavor/quality we expected... there was no "wow, this is so good I think I died and went to heaven" moment for us.

My personal opinion is that it's because no open flames are allowed upon a cruise ship. Some dishes just can't be prepared "right" unless they are cooked over an open flame. Can an item truly be labeled as "grilled" if it wasn't cooked over a nice big fire?

I would love to hear from a professional chef on the matter.... how does gas versus electric/convection affect your ability to cook?

On the positive side - the ambience and service at Palo's are EXCELLENT. You will certainly enjoy your dinner there.

My DH is a chef and he totally agrees with you on every point
Do we enjoy Palo? Yes - will we go back? Yes but it isn't a wow factor for us
We normally skip it on shorter cruises

We've done the brunch, supper, and my wife has done the tea. On our last 2 cruises, my wife did not want to attend the Palo's tea...she has lost weight, and doesn't want to over-eat; and the food was just average.

We prefer the brunch to dinner,but there is so much food, that it made me want to look away before I gagged. Too, too much food. We also feel that palo's is over-rated. It is northern Italian 'cuisine'... it's just Italian food. I am probably at fault for feeling this way, as food is not, nor has ever been the reason that I go on cruises. Food has never been a big deal in my life. Give me a piece of chicken or a good hamburger (like you get at lunch at 'Lumiere's), and I'm good to go. I tried filet mignon at Palo's and was under-whelmed... it;s just a piece of beef, and a small piece at that. We have been on 9 cruises so far, and we'll definetely leave room for other's to take our place at Palo's. The waiters however, were delightful, polite and couldn't do enough to try to please; except that they do not understand it when a person doesn't want anymore. They keep trying to entice with more food.

I'm a picky eater but generally happy with decent quality restaurant food. I definitely wasn't overly impressed with the food on our 7 day EC cruise in August. The first night I had the ribeye (I think, definitely some sort of a steak) and I'm not even sure it was choice meat. The rest of our dinners were decent, but far from outstanding. Palo was good, but the main draw of Palo for me is the view (we had a beautiful sunset to celebrate our 10th anniversary) and the lack of children (specifically mine!) in the restaurant. We did breakfasts at Lumiere's after trying Topsider the first day (a bit too close to college cafeteria food for me). I would be hesitant to recommend DCL to my friends who are really picky about their dining experience.

Have been to Palo 3 times and have never been overly impressed. I'm always waiting for that WOW that I hear others talk about, but it still eludes us. Our servers have always been efficient and friendly, but never fantastic...but we have observed other tables receiving fantastic service, so I think it just depends on who you get. Food has been o.k., but again, nothing to write home about. My favourite part of Palo is the kid-free dining. Not sure whether we'll try for Palo next cruise or not...leaning towards not.

The only "wow" factor at Palo is the service. The food is good but not outstanding. I've had better in fine restaurants DH and I have been to in the multitude of places we've lived while in the military--Okinawa, Napa Valley, New Orleans, and even here in good old St. Louis.

I sometimes wonder if those who are wowed by Palo's food are those who rarely eat at places other than chain-type restaurants like Chili's and Applebees? I'm not slamming anyone with this remark BTW--just am truly puzzled by the rave reviews and am curious as to the background/fine food exposure of the folks who give them. Maybe it's just that I'm too picky.... ;)

At any rate I do think Palo is worth it for the service/experience alone. The main dining rooms are just too loud and too busy. I felt ignored by our servers most of the time in the main dining rooms, but our Palo server was amazing. And yes, the food is definitely much better than in the main dining rooms. Some of what was served in the main dining rooms was downright shameful!

I would pick brunch over dinner as well. I must admit the chicken parm with risotto I had at brunch was really, really good. But the filet at dinner was only ok. It was better than average, but certainly not deserving of the raves it seems to get on the boards IMHO. It didn't really have much flavor....it's like they just grilled up a steak, plopped it on the plate, and poured that sauce over it. They didn't seem to season the meat at all.

Chocolate souffle--good but not "wow".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter