? For those who have rented their points out.

AdamsMum

DIS Veteran
Have you ever had a renter charge purchases to the room and not be able to pay for them? I.E. cc expired, over limit etc.
Also have you ever been held responsible for damages to the room?

Have you ever had a renter charge purchases to the room and not be able to pay for them? I.E. cc expired, over limit etc.
Also have you ever been held responsible for damages to the room?
With Disney now placing incremental holds on credit cards, it would be impossible for a renter to put down an expired CC. I suppose that they could go over their limit on their last day but that would be between the renter and their CC company.

I don't rent my points to strangers often. Most of the time, my extra points are used by friends or family. But I have never had a renter damage a room. I did have one potential renter who wanted one weekend night in a grand villa. That signaled "party at the GF" to me and I declined to rent to that person.

Just be sure you take out your own CC if you have it saved. I had friends who just went on one night and the front desk did charge the room service meal to my card…they got it fixed right away…but had they been renters, don’t know how it would have gone.

I was not on the reservation but it was booked via my membership.

It has been reported but seems to be rare enough that I’d ignore it as less likely than lots of other bigger problems.

Yep. And those bigger problems are the renter never paying you the second half, the renter backing out after your banking window (and if you've promised a refund, leaving you with distressed points). Over the years, those two issues have been reported far more often than the very rare sighting of the member account getting dinged. Make sure that your contract with the renter protects you, that you get full payment in plenty of time to cancel, and that you consider your own use year in terms of when you make the reservation to give you some protection from cancellation. Especially if you aren't going to be strict on "unrefundable and no changes" and want to at least try and help if someone needs to change their trip - that's far easier to do early in your use year.

Just be sure you take out your own CC if you have it saved. I had friends who just went on one night and the front desk did charge the room service meal to my card…they got it fixed right away…but had they been renters, don’t know how it would have gone.

Where is your credit card saved??

I just rented out some points and want to make sure mine isn't saved anywhere that can be used. I do have it saved to My Disney Experience but I don't think I've saved it anywhere on my DVC account.

Where is your credit card saved??

I just rented out some points and want to make sure mine isn't saved anywhere that can be used. I do have it saved to My Disney Experience but I don't think I've saved it anywhere on my DVC account.

In MDE. So I would clear it out of there!

Never even thought they would look to my MDE on rented points. Good to know. Thanks

It may be because it was room service and my Cc was only one on file. They did not use MB for paying.

But, it’s probably good to take it out anyway if you have renters.

I rented a confirmed reservation from a broker, and the original renter’s CC info was still in MDE when I linked it to my account. I changed it, but I didn’t think that would ever happen.

Good information.

Thanks to all. Renting still making me a bit nervous, but good to have the information to make a decision with.

Thanks for this thread. I've never heard that a rentee could access the MDE account of the owner renting out their points. How does that work?

When we rented points through a broker site this happened to us. When I logged into my own mde their credit card was listed. I just deleted it and added my own.

I have since rented directly through a person and never had that happen. It’s always my card on file.

Where on DVC or MDE would the cc be listed. Thanks

I go through the website and access my profile....you will then see something regarding payment on file. You'd have to remove it from there....I don't know if you can do it through the app as well as I have never tried.

When we rented points through a broker site this happened to us. When I logged into my own mde their credit card was listed. I just deleted it and added my own.

I have since rented directly through a person and never had that happen. It’s always my card on file.

It’s shocking that this could happen!! 😳 I have rented a few times, and never had any issues, but it’s very good to know it’s possible!

I’ve usually rented to people we know too, but once I rented through a broker, and I had a trip that overlapped theirs. What would you do in that case??

It’s shocking that this could happen!! 😳 I have rented a few times, and never had any issues, but it’s very good to know it’s possible!

I’ve usually rented to people we know too, but once I rented through a broker, and I had a trip that overlapped theirs. What would you do in that case??

I think that you can add it for a trip without it saving for the others. But honestly, I don’t know how that might work.

What I might do in that case is delete it and not add it until I checked in onsite because hopefully at that point the guests would have checked in and added their own card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter