For those who have done the Med ...

momoftwins

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
How much money did u take to spend in the ports or did u just use credit cards?

Is everything on the ship in USD!

Thanks!!!

How much money did u take to spend in the ports or did u just use credit cards?

Is everything on the ship in USD!

Thanks!!!
Yes, all charges to your onboard account will be in US dollars.

For "small" purchases (soda, snacks, little souvenirs) we use local currency. For large purchases a credit card will work, in most cases.

Be aware that if you exchange for foreign currency on the ship and you have some left over, Guest Services will only take back paper currency and no coins. We usually add any leftover foreign currency to our tip envelopes on the last night of the cruise.

I'm almost certain everywhere you'll be, it's all Euro. So once currency should work everywhere (unlike a Baltic cruise.) We used our credit cards for any large purchases, and cash for small souvenirs. Several of our excursion providers wanted cash as well, which I got from ATM's. (We were on MSC and did all excursions I arranged thru TripAdvisor, etc.)

Frequently airports will have donation boxes for your extra coins/bills for charities also.

I believe we took about $100 in Euros for odds and ends spending money for the whole cruise (Med. 7 nights). Credit cards work, as mentioned above, for larger purchases. Be prepared for long days (you decide with your selection of excursions) but great adventures. Our stop in Monte Carlo was scrubbed because of high waves (tendering port) so we stopped at Marseilles the next day instead. Check Rick Steves books on Cruise Ports for a boatload of useful info.

We travel to Germany every couple of years to visit family so we just keep any leftover Euros (and we only use ATMs when we get there - we don't purchase any before we go). For both Med cruises and our Baltic one, we took the leftover Euros and some USD. But we mostly use credit cards if we buy anything, although we don't tend to buy much in the way of souvenirs. I remember on second Med cruise, the only time I actually used any cash was in Athens because most places didn't take credit cards unless you were making a big purchase. We had a handful of Euro coins which we used to buy a couple of drinks while we were waiting for our tour group to reassemble after some shopping time. I don't think we used cash any other time on that cruise. I remember using cash in Euros to buy some wine at a winery on Vesuvius and for lemonade outside of Pompeii and some wine in Nice on our first Med cruise. Everything else was purchased by credit card. I doubt we spent even 100 Euros in cash on each of the three trips. A lot of it depends on what you do and where you go.

I try to use credit cards instead of carrying around a bunch of cash, but I always have about the equivalent of about $100 in whatever country's currency. This is mostly for tips, if I want to buy something from a street vendor, and just for emergency. Also, I do not recommend exchanging money on the ship.

We also go to Germany frequently and the Europeans still deal in cash more so than Americans. The ATM is always your best bet for getting the best possible exchange rate, but if you are just withdrawing a small amount, the flat fees you will be charged will far outweigh the exchange rate loss. So if you are visiting multiple countries where they use the Euro, just make one larger withdrawal in the first country to use in the following countries as well. Also, to make sure you don't get caught up in fraud prevention scenario where you get declined, inform your bank (and credit card company) before you leave as to where you are going and for how long.

Last edited:
In 2006, 62% of all payments in the UK were made using cash; in 2016 the proportion had fallen to 40%. By 2026, it is predicted cash will be used for just 21%, according to figures from UK Finance.

What about payment for taxis? I rarely use taxis and don't really know what is expected. Do they take cards or just cash?

What about payment for taxis? I rarely use taxis and don't really know what is expected. Do they take cards or just cash?

Taxis in Germany expect cash. I would assume it is the same in other European countries. Like I said, they are still a much more cash-centric society. It is easier to just withdraw cash from the ATM when you get there.

I have paid for taxis using a credit card in France and Italy several years ago and the Netherlands recently, but I try to just use Uber so I get charged through the app and don't have to worry about it. I used Uber only in South Africa and it was a breeze. I realize you are asking about Europe, but I feel certain it would be simple there, too.

We have done the 7 night med cruise twice now and both times we took 1000 euros that I ordered from my bank. Paid cash for excursions and hotel post cruise as well as tips, lunch, souvenirs etc. Came home with about 250 euros the first trip and 10 euros in coins the second.

In the Netherlands we hardly use any cash, I really have to contentiously go to the ATM to get some if I need it. However, we don't use credit cards either, so if you only have credit cards, it might be more of a problem. We mostly use debit cards (even the charities going door to door accept debit cards now, *** to most market vendors and yes, taxis)

Even at a table service restaurant in Germany, the vast majority of the people still pay the waiter with cash. Whereas in America it seems most people, even at McDonald's, pay with a card.

I haven't gone yet, but one thing I read in Rick Steve's book was that some European countries also require a PIN when using your credit card. I've never used a PIN for my credit card so I recently called my bank and they're mailing it to me. So it's a good thing to have your PIN just in case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter