For those who have cruised RCL.....

We have only ever cruised on Disney. So, soft drinks are free at the drink stations, room service is free except for tips, food is included except specialty dining, and obviously alcohol, excursions and purchases are not included. Its pretty all-inclusive!

I have booked DH and I for a surprise 25th anniversary cruise next April on Disney---4 Nights on the Dream in a verandah room for approx. $2,700.

However, just for giggles I priced the same cruise on RCL (same nights, Verandah room) and it is $1,300.

So, my question is what else do you have to pay for on RCL? They have things listed like drink packages, upgraded dining, etc. Since I've never cruised with them I'm unsure what we would be paying in addition to the price of the cruise?

I love Disney and would love this to be a Disney cruise, but I'm thinking that extra $1,400 would get me a few days at the parks before/after the cruise.

Anyone with RCL experience?

I've done 2 DCL cruises with my wife and two kids (<10yo kids). 7 day Christmas 2016 cruise on the Magic, and a 3 day cruise on the Dream in Feb 2019. I have my in-laws flying in from Hong Kong, and we will be doing an 8 day Disney Fantasy cruise at the end of June 2019 (2 Veranda rooms). This is a preface that I love Disney, but I want to explore, kind of like you...

Last night I signed up for a 3 day RCL for the beginning of June 2019, as a test for my wife and myself for our 13th anniversary. I still think that DCL is a better environment for my kids. Same itinerary to Nassau and private island with the exact same sailing day was 1/2 the price for the balcony / veranda on RCL. Here are a couple bullet points that I see so far....
  • The RCL private island seems like a neat water park, although most things are an extra charge.
  • I quickly loaded up on extras (The Key, better food reservations). Added ~$380 pretty quick, without the drink package.
  • My wife doesn't drink that much, so the drink package wont work for us @ $104 / day / room.
  • The soda package with RCL is about $10/day/person. I think I heard RCL charges $3.50 / can of soda. Free with DCL.
  • "The Key" is pretty neat. We paid about $120, and get 2 device streaming (Netflix capable) internet, and lots of other neat platinum / concierge like perks. (check out the youtube videos on it).
  • The list of available port adventures seem to have more options available with RCL. Some of them seem really neat, even for Nassau.
  • Cabanas are available to rent from RCL private island for about $400-$450. They dont look like they have a fridge full of soda though. All 3 cruises I have signed up for with DCL had no cabanas available, as of 2 minutes after being able to check in. They are pretty rare.
  • DCL allows you to add activities, and doesn't charge your account until the time of that activity. RCL will charge your CC immediately when you sign up for activities. You can still cancel RCL activities, and get refunds, but this is just "different"
  • I love the DCL food, and have ordered two of some dinner items before, because I can. Watching a bunch of youtube videos, the included DCL food looks much better than RCL included food.
Overall, It looks like they nickle and dime you on better food (Yes DCL also has Polo), alcoholic drinks, and soda. It still seems cheaper with RCL after the nickle and dimeing.

My kids and I still love Disney, the DCL shows are awesome, and the crowd on DCL seems 99.9% mindful to a family setting. RCL videos give me the appearance that there are a lot of $250 inside rooms sold to people there to binge drink for the weekend, not throwing stones, just worried what the kids see walking around. I still see DCL right now as a trip for the family for several more years. I cant wait to visit the kids areas of RCL though to see how they are different.

Last edited:
- Sounds like you are going to Coco Cay. The water park is interesting. Seems a little pricey, and I'd like to see the stats on actual volume before committing to it.
- I had said before that I thought the Key was good value for a party of two on a 3-5 day cruise. Having read @nancy drew's trip report on Symphony I'm convinced that it doesn't work for my family of four.
- People have reported that Royal allows one adult to get the drink package provided that the other adult purchases a non-alcoholic package. But you do have to provide a reason for doing so - "my wife doesn't drink" has allegedly been an acceptable answer.
- I'm a fan of the pre-pay option, as it removes a bit of the sticker shock at the end of the cruise. Instead, you get sticker shock BEFORE the cruise even starts. :) YMMV here. But expect sticker shock at some point.
- Royal's auto-gratuity is slightly more ($14.50 standard/$17.50 suites) than DCL's recommended gratuity ($13.50/day)
- Also, Royal charges an 18% gratuity on every purchase, whereas I think DCL does 15% on most purchases?

-
- I'm a fan of the pre-pay option, as it removes a bit of the sticker shock at the end of the cruise. Instead, you get sticker shock BEFORE the cruise even starts. :) YMMV here. But expect sticker shock at some point.

Interesting thoughts behind paying ahead of time. I view it as RCL borrowing money from me for 2 months. I pay my credit card off twice a month, but think of the interest incurred if I didn’t. I’d rather spend the money as I use it. Personal preference...

On the other side, DCL has squatters in the cabanas because it doesn’t cost any skin in the game to sit on the reservation for the cruisers, and DCL will always be able to rent them out.

Interesting thoughts behind paying ahead of time. I view it as RCL borrowing money from me for 2 months. I pay my credit card off twice a month, but think of the interest incurred if I didn’t. I’d rather spend the money as I use it. Personal preference...
Completely understand.

At the end of the day, they're still getting our money, so the cruise line still wins in the end.

I'm just curious about the merchandise pushing. They do have shops, but I've never felt that they are pushy about it at all. Do you feel like the march is pushed upon you? I'm not trying to be contrary, I'm genuinely curious since I've never felt like that.

My kids each get to pick one thing. The small ships have three shops one of which is tucked away in the adult area. And another that is mostly adult merch.

I don't feel that DCL is pushy about selling their merchandise. However, I tend to spend more in the shops on Disney cruises because I like Disney stuff. I don't care about souvenirs that say "Royal Caribbean" (or another cruise line's logo) - so I buy very little on non-Disney cruises.
Yes pushy was probably a bad choice of words. My point was people talk about extra money spent onboard I think it has to be a consideration. I know the only time I buy souvenirs is when I'm on a Disney cruise. When I see people walking out of the shops with hundreds of dollars in Disney stuff I often wonder if it was planned or impulse. I know when my kids were little I got talked into a few items I hadn't planned on. Now I'm only tempted by the Dooney and Bourke purses.

It's funny because last year the people next to us got our bill left on their door by mistake. I could hear the dad asking who's bill was this and "I can't believe they didn't buy any merchandise". Yes if you have connecting rooms you can hear just about everything your neighbors say.
My bill on Royal and Disney is always about the same. The only thing that will swing the needle to Disney is if I visit the gift shop.

Like I said before most of your onboard spending is optional no matter what ship you sail on.

It seems like the DCL vs RCI conversation often comes down to a talk about money. Before we sailed on Royal all I heard was how they "nickel and dime you for everything!" Well...

I bought the drink package for myself and my kids when it was on sale, which was paid for before we sailed.

I bought one excursion, also paid before we sailed, and the price dropped at one point so we saved money on that (I have never heard of Disney dropping the price on their excursions).

I bought The Key, which was a waste so I am not counting it because it is the one thing I won't buy again (unless they make some major changes).

On board we bought a bunch of souvenirs.

My daughter also spent about $50 in the arcade.

We walked off the ship after paying a bill that was under $200.

On DCL we walked off the ship having paid another $1K in excursions, drinks, souvenirs, etc. And that is on top of paying at least $2K more for the actual cruise.

So for me, I would much rather be "nickel and dimed" and still pay thousands less than we would spend on DCL :confused3

However, I did like that you can split the bed into two twin beds.

FYI I think Royal is getting rid of that option as they redo ships. :(

We did New Zealand on Explorer of the Sea. We enjoyed the ship a lot, watched the ice skating show and DD and I went ice skating ( you get about 15 minutes on the ice then it’s another groups turn).

That’s quite a difference from Freedom! Freedom had much longer skate sessions from what I recall.

what extras? Soda? It's hard to know what you are referring to when you don't list them.

Agreed.

RCL videos give me the appearance that there are a lot of $250 inside rooms sold to people there to binge drink for the weekend, not throwing stones, just worried what the kids see walking around.

What Royal videos are you watching?

The ONE drunk person I have seen onboard a Royal ship was a mom with her kid. She had already been cut off. She was loud and annoying. And every other parent in the area was watching out for her son, out of the goodness of our hearts, because she wasn’t quite capable.

That’s it.

On Disney I don’t pay attention to others because the cruises are so short I don’t have time to take care of anyone but me and my family. There might have been drunk people, but I wouldn’t have noticed.

My kid has seen nothing disturbing.

I cant wait to visit the kids areas of RCL though to see how they are different.

My son has been in the kid clubs three times on Royal. 4 times on Disney Dream. And the teen club once on Royal.

His take. Disney club and lab is quite visually nice, and he loves the dance floor since he’s a dancer. This makes him quite popular with girls there. But. Apart from scheduled scheduled activity times, it’s a free for all. Family groups (siblings, cousins etc) don’t open their fun to stranger-kids, which makes it a bummer for only kids like mine. He never once got a shot at playing video games.

And after two bits of nonsense when he was there over a mealtime, he refused to go there at such times. The first time they wouldn’t let him have an offered cheese sandwich because he said he was a vegetarian. Given that cheese sandwiches are part of his main diet, lol, that was odd. They called us to make sure it was ok. They called out stateroom phone. Not the wave phone. We got the message hours later. They didn’t let him eat. (Though right now I wonder if someone got confused between vegetarian and vegan. Maybe always let the actual vegetarian know what they can eat, Disney? At the time I thought that he should have meat and couldn’t figure out why they would have a cheese sandwich at all) The second time, because of that first time, we fed him before he went. And they made ALL the kids stop, go through the food area, look at the food, and sit. My son wasn’t hungry. And they made him sit. (His once chance at videogames, thwarted.)

Before that second time, we had been on Freedom. Because we homeschool we could go at school times. Which meant the kid clubs were empty. So the 6-8 year olds were put on with the 9-11. Vice versa, actually. Big age span.

The rooms are stark and kinda boring. But the counselors are 100% involved. They lead games and activities and keep the kids involved and engaged the whole time. My son loved this.

So when we went back to Dream he started ONLY going to the Lab during a scheduled activity. Then he would use his no-SIM old cell phone to use the Navigator app to have us come get him. He enjoyed it more than the old way, but far preferred the way it works on Royal.

Then he aged into the teen club on Royal. Went one night. He’s tall and his voice changed early. They thought he was older. It was not comfy. He hangs out with lots of older kids at home, because of dance, but these kids made him feel uncomfortable because of thinking he was older.

Anyway, that’s one kid’s take on the clubs!

Cabanas are available to rent from RCL private island for about $400-$450. They dont look like they have a fridge full of soda though. All 3 cruises I have signed up for with DCL had no cabanas available, as of 2 minutes after being able to check in. They are pretty rare.

I think that sort of cabana on
Coco is nearly brand new.

I think I heard RCL charges $3.50 / can of soda. Free with DCL.

Cans on Disney are not free. If you want soda delivered to your room on either line you’ll pay for it.

People have reported that Royal allows one adult to get the drink package provided that the other adult purchases a non-alcoholic package. But you do have to provide a reason for doing so - "my wife doesn't drink" has allegedly been an acceptable answer.

Have they switched back again? Last I heard that wasn’t allowed.

At the end of the day, they're still getting our money, so the cruise line still wins in the end.

Well, hopefully the cruiser is getting an experience with the money, so everyone wins.

Fwiw I like paying as I book, personally.

Like I said before most of your onboard spending is optional no matter what ship you sail on.

So true.

On Disney I get tervis cups. On Royal I get blingy lanyards and my now-ex got sucked into watches. Bah.

On both I order drinks a la carte because the ex doesn’t drink, neither he nor our son drink soda, and I cannot make a drinks package work for me no matter how much I try. I pay for espresso drinks on both (except for the two times the now-ex wanted concierge so I drank meh cappuccinos in the lounge “for free”). We don’t eat the included ice cream or soft serve on either because of ingredient issues. On Royal I get the Evian package assuming they still have it. On Disney now I’d be bringing that on since last I checked they stopped selling Evian and only have Dasani. I *have to* drink spring water onboard. When I drink the water on a ship I swell massively. When I drink bottled spring water, I only swell normally. There’s a difference, I don’t care why, but spring water makes the difference. Dasani is filtered municipal water and I don’t see the point.

Last edited:
  • "The Key" is pretty neat. We paid about $120, and get 2 device streaming (Netflix capable) internet, and lots of other neat platinum / concierge like perks. (check out the youtube videos on it)...
To me, "The Key" is a waste, especially on longer cruises. At $20/day per person, it can add up quick. For us, we just get one internet device and switch off when we need to. Frankly, its nice to at least partially disconnect. Maybe on a shorter cruise it might not be so bad, but when you get into the 6 and 7 night cruises, its pretty expensive.

...RCL videos give me the appearance that there are a lot of $250 inside rooms sold to people there to binge drink for the weekend, not throwing stones, just worried what the kids see walking around. ...

Don't get the impression that all RCL cruises are like that. We've been on 3 RCL cruises and the only one that was like that was the 3 night weekender out of Miami. Definitely a rougher crowd; there was even almost a fight near the elevator for the tender line at CocoCay (RCL has organized that better now)...but, the other 4 and 7 night cruises we've taken have been very family oriented and a really nice crowd (although you get the deck chair hoggers, but thats a problem even on DCL). I won't do a 3 night weekender again, on any cruise line, probably even Disney.

I'm hoping that's not the case, as we've occasionally taken our adult (DD/DS) children and had them use a separate stateroom with the split beds. For what its worth, we were on Adventure of the Seas last summer, which had been redone recently, and they still had the split bed option.

We have only ever cruised on Disney. So, soft drinks are free at the drink stations, room service is free except for tips, food is included except specialty dining, and obviously alcohol, excursions and purchases are not included. Its pretty all-inclusive!

I have booked DH and I for a surprise 25th anniversary cruise next April on Disney---4 Nights on the Dream in a verandah room for approx. $2,700.

However, just for giggles I priced the same cruise on RCL (same nights, Verandah room) and it is $1,300.

So, my question is what else do you have to pay for on RCL? They have things listed like drink packages, upgraded dining, etc. Since I've never cruised with them I'm unsure what we would be paying in addition to the price of the cruise?

I love Disney and would love this to be a Disney cruise, but I'm thinking that extra $1,400 would get me a few days at the parks before/after the cruise.

Anyone with RCL experience?
The only addition to DCL in ykur case would be room service ( continental breakfast still free ) and soda drinks. Tea, flaovered water, coffee, breakfast juices also free.

People think you are getting more tangibles on DCL. Only tangles are soda and room service.

Not non- tangles such as service, theming etc. character M&Gs is a different discussion. FYI we are sailing Oasis in 2 months only additional we budget upfront compared to DCL was the soda package for the kids. Though we might cancel as you can also bring 2 bottles wine plus 12 - 12 ozs own non- alcoholic

As someone who has spent two cruises being eaten by RCL's lack of willingness to buy the belts to strap them together, I would WELCOME one bed.

Seems like it would be cheaper to just buy the straps though. (They think they can hold the beds together just by making the lower sheets really tight. They think WRONG.)

Everytime I cruise DCL I see people spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars in the gift shops buying souvenirs. Most of the time for their kids. People talk about nickel and diming on other cruise lines, but always forget to mention how Disney pushes their merchandise. Again all optional, but I bet a lot of parents leave the ship spending way more then they thought they would.
Amen! I hear you. We spent 800 on our last cruise. Of course my bad decision. But I had to have DCL pins and ornament lol!
Actually this is what I’m looking forward to with our oasis cruise in June on the med. I even booked for the four of us 2 separate flight fares. Only two of us have a ticket that allows checked luggage. We are fine with two suitcases as I have no expectations of going crazy buying souvenirs on an RCI boat. Now for upcoming Disney cruise that’s a different story I already have in the back of my head I need to leave Half a suitcase empty. Of course people can decide what they want to spend or not I just know for our family anything Disney means spending additional funds on merchandise which for us is part of the fun it’s like a given and needs to be budgeted. Unfortunately for Disney that means budgeting tons of money

I don't believe that Royal nickles and dimes you. They give you choices.
I have to say that I smirk when someone comments how soda is free on Disney. That's great...but Disney cruise also costs $1-2K more similar itinerary/cruise length.

With Royal, you can add on the soda package, refreshment package (coffees, juices, water), or alcoholic package... Or you can buy a la carte. Or if you don't drink, then not at all. In our family DH gets the soda package, the rest we buy as we want them (although on our last cruise, they offered 10 drinks that were sharable for $79). Also, we bring 2 bottles of wine with us.

Similarly, you can pay for specialty restaurants (single or packages) or stick with the MDR, windjammer...and the larger ships have many other included options (Solarium Cafe, El Loco Fresh, Park Cafe, Cafe Promenade, Sorrentos, etc).

Most activities are included. Only a few are extra like jewellery making (don't know how populate that is), cupcake decorating, sushi making, private Flowrider lesson.

Spa is extra but I think that is with any cruise line. Same with internet.

We don't get internet at all as we like to disconnect when away, and so have no need for The Key. You can still get good seats for shows (just not first 2 rows) and the rest of the features aren't worth it for us. It's a personal decision though and is an extra cost if it's something you'd like.

And yes they are enhancing CoCo Cay with waterslides and such, but there is also a lot included including a huge pool that looks amazing, and of course the beach.

Both cruise lines are amazing and have their own thing.

I'm just curious about the merchandise pushing. They do have shops, but I've never felt that they are pushy about it at all. Do you feel like the march is pushed upon you? I'm not trying to be contrary, I'm genuinely curious since I've never felt like that.
No disney is not „pushing“ to Sell their merchandise. They just know There is a good chance that most of their passengers are Disney addicts in someway. So they got them hooked in to buy. I can ask to meet an alcoholic at a bar but still not push Drinks on him; but there’s a chance it’s tempting.

Now where DCL does push and it is really annoying, is their service staff. Near the end of the cruise constantly asking you if their service was “excellent” and if you can please mark that on the survey

Last edited:

What Royal videos are you watching?

I was watching videos about the Deluxe Beverage Package on YouTube, and found a "is it worth it video." There was a guy on RCL, and he was slurring so bad, he dubbed the audio over himself a few times.

Several other are they worth it drink package videos

A male lapdance competition on the Oasis Aqua Theater - pierpaolo rossitto

Explaining how many drinks must you drink to break even with the Delux Drink Package - Cruise with Ben and David

literally about 40+ hours more of videos, while I'm working over the past month.

I haven't formed my opinion, I only have a preconception based on "sensationalized TV"... I'm smart enough to realize that that preconception will most likely be aimed at a small handful of people out of a couple thousand people. I'm not bringing my kids on my first RCL test cruise. It's 3 days, and I fully expect that it will be a great time.

I was watching videos about the Deluxe Beverage Package on YouTube, and found a "is it worth it video." There was a guy on RCL, and he was slurring so bad, he dubbed the audio over himself a few times.

Several other are they worth it drink package videos

A male lapdance competition on the Oasis Aqua Theater - pierpaolo rossitto

Explaining how many drinks must you drink to break even with the Delux Drink Package - Cruise with Ben and David

literally about 40+ hours more of videos, while I'm working over the past month.

I haven't formed my opinion, I only have a preconception based on "sensationalized TV"... I'm smart enough to realize that that preconception will most likely be aimed at a small handful of people out of a couple thousand people. I'm not bringing my kids on my first RCL test cruise. It's 3 days, and I fully expect that it will be a great time.

Then again, you can purchase the package, get a couple of drinks during the day and something at dinner and just not stress about sticking it to the man/breaking even. For me the convenience is not having to budget for individual drinks not knowing what I might feel like getting and limiting it to a pre-set budget. If I've got the package, I can just get a drink when I feel like it. The peace of mind for me is worth more than the headache of "OMG, did I drink enough to justify this?"

To me, "The Key" is a waste, especially on longer cruises. At $20/day per person, it can add up quick. For us, we just get one internet device and switch off when we need to. Frankly, its nice to at least partially disconnect. Maybe on a shorter cruise it might not be so bad, but when you get into the 6 and 7 night cruises, its pretty expensive.

We're doing a 3 day, so not too expensive. I need to stay connected for work. Not that bad for cost. I hate waiting in lines, and hope it will help with getting on / off. $120 for 2 people, remove $60 for internet for 2 people, and $40 for our lunch at Cheff's, and $20 to hopefully skip the lines for getting on and off. If the cruise was 7+ days, they math would be way different, and I probably wouldn't do it, especially with a family of 4 or 6...

Don't get the impression that all RCL cruises are like that. We've been on 3 RCL cruises and the only one that was like that was the 3 night weekender out of Miami. Definitely a rougher crowd; there was even almost a fight near the elevator for the tender line at CocoCay (RCL has organized that better now)...but, the other 4 and 7 night cruises we've taken have been very family oriented and a really nice crowd (although you get the deck chair hoggers, but thats a problem even on DCL). I won't do a 3 night weekender again, on any cruise line, probably even Disney.

I'm not really worried. To date Disney feels better for our family, with my 7-9yo kids. I have a chance to test RCL without the kids, and RCL seems neat enough for me to try. My wife felt that DCL Dream 3 day trip in Feb seemed bla. It was all about the kids, and too short. She's excited about out RCL test.

Then again, you can purchase the package, get a couple of drinks during the day and something at dinner and just not stress about sticking it to the man/breaking even. For me the convenience is not having to budget for individual drinks not knowing what I might feel like getting and limiting it to a pre-set budget. If I've got the package, I can just get a drink when I feel like it. The peace of mind for me is worth more than the headache of "OMG, did I drink enough to justify this?"

Our math would be 1 drinks during the day for my wife, and 2-3 for me, and then a really nice bottle of wine for dinner that we split. There is a discount for the wine, but I don't think the package will work for us. But then again, I haven't been on vacation with just my wife in 10 years. We spend a week walking all over London from pub to pub having pints, and touring castles.

This is a smart take on the drink package. I think you can worry about whether you will "break even" pre-cruise, but once you're on board, don't think too much about it.

And don't forget that this package includes soft drinks, bottled water and non-Starbucks kiosk specialty coffee. That should factor into your pre-cruise purchase evaluation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter