For those who go in the Summer

gulliesmom

Mouseketeer
How do you handle navigating the parks in the heat and humidity? I honestly feel like I could not even consider a Summer trip because we would be so hot and uncomfortable. Curious for those of you who have BTDT, how you manage.

Take frequent breaks, cut through shops to get AC, and avoid lines that are outside. There's no sure-fire way to avoid the heat, but it's all about managing it. Animal Kingdom, in my opinion, is the worst when it comes to the heat as there doesn't seem to be as much covered or indoor opportunities. It's going to be an uncomfortable time, as there are tons of people that go then too.

Ok we go every summer. And I hate the heat and humidity lol. But we do it because it’s when we can go. We rope drop, head back to hotel to swim all afternoon and back out for dinner and evening touring. Stay hydrated, take advantage of air conditioned shops, attractions, etc and you’ll be fine.

Take frequent breaks, cut through shops to get AC, and avoid lines that are outside. There's no sure-fire way to avoid the heat, but it's all about managing it. Animal Kingdom, in my opinion, is the worst when it comes to the heat as there doesn't seem to be as much covered or indoor opportunities. It's going to be an uncomfortable time, as there are tons of people that go then too.
Agree with this. Animal Kingdom is the hottest park so we only go there in late afternoon/evenings.

We have to ditch the parks between 2:30-5:30. It’s too hot, it’s too crowded, the lines are too long.

I disagree with AK being the hottest. I personally feel World Showcase is.

But this works for us:
Keep water with you at all times.
Cut through stores with AC.
Do an ADR for lunch instead of dinner.
Save long AC shows or rides with AC queues for the hottest part of the day.
Admit defeat and leave for a swim when everyone is hot, crabby & not having fun.

How do you handle navigating the parks in the heat and humidity? I honestly feel like I could not even consider a Summer trip because we would be so hot and uncomfortable. Curious for those of you who have BTDT, how you manage.
long story short because of way court order written we were not allowed to take grandson out of school without birth mother permission so summer was our only choice. we just took our times and used as much AC as possible. only trip that had problems was last one with young infant. was too hot to wear both for mom and baby. made sure the kids enjoyed the splash pads we came to. used shows with AC for afternoon breaks where possible. we didn't look as it being extra hot but this was when we were allowed to go and made it work for us.

We've done 2.5 week long trips each of the past 4 summers, and have made probably 8 or 9 summer trips in total. How you handle/deal with it has a lot to do with how you handle heat in general and how acclimated to it you are.

Personally, I don't follow the theory of needing a mid-day break. If you want it, there's nothing wrong with doing it. However, even on the hottest of days, it's not necessary IMO. There are countless attractions that are indoors and/or have lines that are in a/c. You can spend the entire afternoon in a/c, except for the time you have to walk from one attraction to the next. Things like FoLK, CoP, Philharmagic, Dinosaur, Muppets, Storytime w/Belle, Laugh Floor, Soarin', Living w/Land are all perfect mid-day attractions. So is Kali if you want to get wet and cool off. So for us, instead of wasting time travelling back and forth to our condo (we stay offsite, but it's still the same concept if you stay onsite), we stay in the parks until we're done then leave. If we want to swim, we do it when we get back to the condo...or we'll swim first and then go to the parks mid-afternoon and stay through the evening.

Drink plenty of fluids. You can get free, filtered ice water at any QS place.

Light clothing. Doesn't have to be moisture wicking (not that it's bad, it's just not necessary), cotton works well.

Spend time in stores.

Do the outdoor rides early in the morning or late at night...Astro Orbiter, Tomorrowland Speedway, Safari, PW, Teacups, etc...

Some people like misting fans or cooling towels. Personally, I find them gross and they only make things worse.

We love, love, love summer at WDW. A hot WDW is light years better than a cold WDW for us. We've done cold days at Disney and they were miserable. Just use a bit of common sense and you'll do fine.

Everything that's already been said, plus we use cooling towels and spray fans (the ones Disney so helpfully keeps on ice all over the parks). My kids also grab ice cubes whenever we pass by a drink cart, too. We just take it slower, as well.

We go during the summer as well - I will not pull DD from school during the year. I agree with all - drink water, even if you are not thirsty. Don't forget to use sunscreen on your legs - especially the back - to avoid the Disney rash. Take breaks as you need them.

Its really not that big of a deal.
We hit the parks early.
We get hot walking from attraction to atrraction but then cool off in the attraction.
We grab food/snacks indoors.
Really not much to it.

We love, love, love summer at WDW. A hot WDW is light years better than a cold WDW for us. We've done cold days at Disney and they were miserable. Just use a bit of common sense and you'll do fine.
Couldn't agree more about this. While the heat can wear a person out quickly, I've never had less fun at WDW than when it was in the 40's. Give me the heat every day and I'll take an A/C power nap listening to The Five Bear Rugs at Country Bear Jamboree.

Couldn't agree more about this. While the heat can wear a person out quickly, I've never had less fun at WDW than when it was in the 40's. Give me the heat every day and I'll take an A/C power nap listening to The Five Bear Rugs at Country Bear Jamboree.

So true. My sister and I were freezing this past December.
Nothing as bad as shivering all day long.
Much rather sweat and then cool off in the AC.

Also, don't get disappointed if your evening or night time plans get drowned, literally. Last year we went in mid August, I had plans to see fireworks and/or outdoor shows, and I got rained out all 3 nights. Summer is the rainy season for sure!

Our son thinks Disney Springs is the worst. He compared it to the Wrentham shopping outlets we live near. He said "this place is like being at Wrentham on the surface of the sun." :rotfl::rotfl:

Ha!
I grew up in Millis (I mention this bc it’s a tiny tiny town nobody’s heard of, so I get excited when maybe some e has) not too far from those outlets! Live in NJ now. ::waves::

As for summer, I found delightfully low crowds in August 2018. I don’t do heat well but it wasn’t as bad as I had built it up to be in my head. SUNSCREEN and strategic A/C

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter