For those that ship boxes - is this to big?

Anjelica

DIS Veteran
So I tend to overpack and therefore am sending a box down tomorrow for our September 15th cruise. However, I was wondering if anyone thought this may be to big - 33lbs and box dimensions are 29x16x16. I am putting in there a sun shade canopy that pops up since we are spending quite a few days at beaches, pirate gear, sand toys, sunscreen, folding cooler, etc.

That is a big box...remember, don't ship anything you can't get back home with you in your already overpacked luggage.

So I tend to overpack and therefore am sending a box down tomorrow for our September 15th cruise. However, I was wondering if anyone thought this may be to big - 33lbs and box dimensions are 29x16x16. I am putting in there a sun shade canopy that pops up since we are spending quite a few days at beaches, pirate gear, sand toys, sunscreen, folding cooler, etc.

My, that is a biggie. You don't need to worry about the return trip if you plan on leaving everything from the box in Florida; will be able to include the box in your checked luggage on the return trip; or will be able to mail it to yourself after you leave the ship (this works best if you are spending a day or two at a resort before flying home).

As to the weight/size combination, you should check with your carrier of choice for their limitations. Our boxes tend to be a bit on the large size, but we've got our pirate costumes packed and those hats take up a lot of space (so they're not particularly heavy).

Yes we plan on shipping back the box. I priced out the box with both ups and fedex (on website) and the highest was 20.00 - I don't think that's to bad so we are going to leave box the same current size and ship down.

OK got information for anyone that needs it about shipping stuff to IDS - Norm and I had to go by there and decided to stop in and speak to Dave Adams who is the owner. We know him casually but know his drivers more.
Anyhow Dave took us on a tour of the warehouse and I was stunned how large it was since it didn't look that big from the outside - anyhow he explained to us how "things" worked - he holds a very tight custom licenses among a number of other licenses and if at any time customs come in to inspect, things better be on the up and up. Everything is exrayed now and they have the right to open up anything that is sent to them for inspection.
There is NOT TO BE any type of liquor, glass containers, water or anything that could cause a red flag - he does deliver only to DCL for a charge - he requires that the cartons be a type of record storage box 12x12x6 and no more than 20 lbs. Anything that should not be sent, will be taken out and custom destroys it in the back inside a bin. He says baby food must be in plastic jars and wrapped tightly and diapers are all acceptable.
Your packages are held in a holding bin with the correct ship and date of sailing - I know that they are at the ships the same time we are which is usually around 7 to 7:30AM - it was great getting the chance to see what the inside was like. His daughter works for him and he seems to have a great staff.
Anyhow just thought I would pass the info to you - the phone number is 321-799-9100.
Always
Shirley

OK got information for anyone that needs it about shipping stuff to IDS - Norm and I had to go by there and decided to stop in and speak to Dave Adams who is the owner. We know him casually but know his drivers more.
Anyhow Dave took us on a tour of the warehouse and I was stunned how large it was since it didn't look that big from the outside - anyhow he explained to us how "things" worked - he holds a very tight custom licenses among a number of other licenses and if at any time customs come in to inspect, things better be on the up and up. Everything is exrayed now and they have the right to open up anything that is sent to them for inspection.
There is NOT TO BE any type of liquor, glass containers, water or anything that could cause a red flag - he does deliver only to DCL for a charge - he requires that the cartons be a type of record storage box 12x12x6 and no more than 20 lbs. Anything that should not be sent, will be taken out and custom destroys it in the back inside a bin. He says baby food must be in plastic jars and wrapped tightly and diapers are all acceptable.
Your packages are held in a holding bin with the correct ship and date of sailing - I know that they are at the ships the same time we are which is usually around 7 to 7:30AM - it was great getting the chance to see what the inside was like. His daughter works for him and he seems to have a great staff.
Anyhow just thought I would pass the info to you - the phone number is 321-799-9100.
Always
Shirley

Uh-oh - I just sent my box off yesterday at it was aroun 30lbs. It didn't have any liquids, food, etc. except sunscreen bottle in a ziploc bag - hope they don't freak on that. Do you think they will turn away my box?

Uh-oh - I just sent my box off yesterday at it was aroun 30lbs. It didn't have any liquids, food, etc. except sunscreen bottle in a ziploc bag - hope they don't freak on that. Do you think they will turn away my box?

Norm will be at the docks this morning so I will tell him to let Victor, the driver know so they won't turn it away - Being inside the warehouse yesterday gave a lot of insight to a lot of things - I saw the xray machines which were amazing, I saw a number of beautiful art pictures of the Wonder that DCL had given Dave and he had hanging on his wall - like I said quite an experience - Dave did mention the time when folks ordered water from Staples to be delivered to the ship that he had 19 pallets come in and had to refused them for that was well over the limit as to what he will take or not take. He values those licenses too much to take any chances. He too has been awarded a contract to check out everything that is brought to the port, so he stays quite busy. I am sure that if you will keep it legal and play fair, he will play fair also. He is a super nice person.
PS thought I would give you an idea how your box arrives so magically to your rooms at the ships,
first they are received at IDS and put through the machines before being put into the right bins.
second on the day of delivery, the boxes are loaded on to a large IDS truck and taken by one of the drivers to the ship - they wait until one of the dock drivers can take them off and put on pallets - the pallets are then put on the docks until space can be made to take on to the ship - once on the ship, they are sorted by room numbers - then the cast members puts them in LARGE carts and are taken to the rooms. I believe the service that is offered by DCL is awesome for they are the only ones that allow it since RCCL nor Carnival will allow their guest to have this privilege so when it comes down to being very accomadating DCL takes the award and does all it can to make their guest feel very special. So hats off to DCL for allowing such act of kindness at their expense.
Always
Shirley

Norm will be at the docks this morning so I will tell him to let Victor, the driver know so they won't turn it away - Being inside the warehouse yesterday gave a lot of insight to a lot of things - I saw the xray machines which were amazing, I saw a number of beautiful art pictures of the Wonder that DCL had given Dave and he had hanging on his wall - like I said quite an experience - Dave did mention the time when folks ordered water from Staples to be delivered to the ship that he had 19 pallets come in and had to refused them for that was well over the limit as to what he will take or not take. He values those licenses too much to take any chances. He too has been awarded a contract to check out everything that is brought to the port, so he stays quite busy. I am sure that if you will keep it legal and play fair, he will play fair also. He is a super nice person.
PS thought I would give you an idea how your box arrives so magically to your rooms at the ships,
first they are received at IDS and put through the machines before being put into the right bins.
second on the day of delivery, the boxes are loaded on to a large IDS truck and taken by one of the drivers to the ship - they wait until one of the dock drivers can take them off and put on pallets - the pallets are then put on the docks until space can be made to take on to the ship - once on the ship, they are sorted by room numbers - then the cast members puts them in LARGE carts and are taken to the rooms. I believe the service that is offered by DCL is awesome for they are the only ones that allow it since RCCL nor Carnival will allow their guest to have this privilege so when it comes down to being very accomadating DCL takes the award and does all it can to make their guest feel very special. So hats off to DCL for allowing such act of kindness at their expense.
Always
Shirley

You are great Shirley always helpful in every aspect.

Before I read your post, my husband and I actually called Dave this morning. WOW - what a great and nice guy. He said my box size would be fine as well as the poundage. I apologized to him as I didn't know they had size/weight limits and didn't even bat an eye. He just wanted to make sure I didn't have any liquids, etc. but he said my sunscreen was fine - no issue.

You are great Shirley always helpful in every aspect.

Before I read your post, my husband and I actually called Dave this morning. WOW - what a great and nice guy. He said my box size would be fine as well as the poundage. I apologized to him as I didn't know they had size/weight limits and didn't even bat an eye. He just wanted to make sure I didn't have any liquids, etc. but he said my sunscreen was fine - no issue.

Yep I said Dave was a sweetie and Norm had already seen IDS at the dock also and he said it was fine.
Always
me

WOW - What awesome service from Dave. We didn't even ask him to call us, etc. and he called and let us know he got our box. WOW - that is great customer service. I hope they get paid well because from face value - they do a GREAT job!!!

I believe ours was around 30+ pounds also. A lot of things are one-way, except our pirate costumes of course.

Of course we did have to buy a box later on during our vacation due to dh's love of new t-shirts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter