For those that have used the Ziploc bags for packing...

momoftwins

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
I know that space travel bags (you do not need a vacuum) are suppose to be pretty good, but for those of you that have used the Ziploc bags to pack your clothes, did this work ok?

I guess what I was wondering was are you able to squish the air out and really make the packing squich down more? Did that make sense? They alway show clothes stacked 3 ft high, then squished down to 6 inches - lol.

I would think, that Ziplocs, although may not be quite as efficient, are certainly cheaper.

Were your clothes wrinkled beyond recognition?

I would appreciate any help. We are going to DL in April and since we already have to drag two booster seats with us, I wanted to keep the suitcases to a min.

Have a great Disney day.

I go to wallmart and get their 2 gallon size. I sit on the bags as I seal them! If you pack as you seal it works great! I also brig a thing of Downy wrinkle remover.

If you use the larger 2 gallon size you can fit a conseiderable amount of clothing in them. I have my seven year old sit on them and I seal the bag. Occasionally my 11 year old (with mens size 10 feet) will stand on them for me. I find that they are less expensive, serve the same purpose and if careful when folding I don't get way too many wrinkles. The bags can be used for wet clothing at the water parks or at the theme parks as well. Good luck!

Here's a little trick - try it. You'll be amazed!

Put your clothing in the ziploc bags, then insert a straw into the bag halfway (so part of the straw is sticking out). Now close the ziploc until it pinches the straw. Now take a deep breath in and suck the air out of the bags! Take it easy - don't hyper ventilate:D

When you need to take a breath just pinch the straw, take a breath then do it again, until you've vacuum sealed them. Now just hold onto the part of the straw that's in the bag (pinching it closed) and slowely pull out the straw while zipping the bag up. It may take a few tries, but you'll figure out how to take the straw out without losing the vaccum seal!

I've done this with food and clothing - works great!

One more thing!

If you have the vacuum attachment that has a "straw" type tip, you can use that instead of hyper ventilating! Not as easy keeping the seal that way, since you can't pinch it closed, but if you move fast you can keep it pretty tight!

The ziploc veggie bags have little holes in them so the air squishes out of them!!!!

we took clothes for a family of 4 for 10 days in 2 suitcases using gallon zip locks! They are wonderful!

Heres a little known benefit: pack a days clothes for each child in one bag. then the kids can dress themselves much much easier.

It really does Work!! The clothes don't come out wrinkle...Its great for socks and underwear,,LOL:p ...I sit on mine or one of my kids....it really does hold. I use ziplock bags for everything....or some clothes a roll up...also save alot of space.

I always use ziplocs for my toiletries and things that I'm afraid will spill.

Never used them for clothes. What are the benefits to packing clothes in ziplocs.

As was said above, the big advantage to packing clothes in ziplocks is in organization...

Put a shirt, shorts, socks and underwear in the bag tiogether...

The suitcase stays neat, you can find things quickly, and in the morning-- everyone just grabs a bag and gets ready to go

No more arguments about why you can't wear the orange striped t-shirt with the porple madras shorts ..........LOL

Jetmom,

too funny. I guess that's a good idea. Never thought of it.

These are great ideas. I can't wait to try them on our next trip. Thanks for sharing.

Tammy

On our Nov/Dec trip I bought 2 gallon Ziploc bags and placed an entire days worth of clothes in 1 bag. I rolled the bags to squish the air out and then sealed. Wrinkles were not a problem because I brought jeans and leggings.
I swear by Gymboree and I can easily coordinate accessories. I buy enough to have separate outfits for each day we are there from 1 Gymboree line. I put the entire outfit including underwear and 2 pairs of socks in each bag. In the morning each child just grabbed a bag of their choice and got dressed. Because the matching accessories coordinate (hair stuff, jackets, sunglasses, etc.) I didn't have a tough time working that out.The 6YO was great. The 3 YO needed a little bit of help but it worked wonderful!
I also brought a large garbage bag and stain stick. I just put the dirty clothes straight in the garbara bag (to wash at home later) and spotted them as necessary before they went in the bag.
Every time we go I try a new trick I read here. The above was a very useful idea, the Britta water bottles were another story but thas thread is not about water bottles. LOL!

I did the same as M&M's mom - except at the end of the day I put the dirty clothes in the same ziplock bag, rolled all the air out and marked it "D" (for dirty, or Disney Dirty...) for the return home.
I too read this idea on the boards, and it worked great. The morning was so much easier with the kids able to pick a bag and get themselves dressed!

That sounds like a great idea, but my 4 year old DS is so picky about what he wears, I'm not sure the effort would pay off for me.

Does it really save so much space?? We have 6 of us going for 10 days and I don't even think I own 10 different pairs of shorts. Was definitely planning on doing laundry.

Lizzie64 - I actually only do this for the kids.
A suggestion for your son - make a game out of the packing and have him group the items into the zip bags (with your guidance, of course!) Therefore, he is picking what he wants to wear a head of time. My DD (7) loved helping me pack, especially squishing the air out of the bags. Tip: If the clothes are folded well in the bags (open up the socks) if you roll the bag to get the air out the clothes stay fairly wrinkle free. Zip the bag almost all the way - leaving only about one inch, roll, then zip the bag all the way and then flatten out the bag.
As far a laundry - just rezip the clean clothes back into the bags they came from, and wear them again (I did get a few strange looks at the AKL Laundry putting clean clothes in zip bags!)
I don't put my clothes in zips, but I do put my underwear, socks, t-shirts and smaller items. It's so much easier to throw the bag in the dresser drawer and find things.
I'm not sure if it saves a lot of space, but it sure keeps things organized and easier to get dressed in the morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter