For Those of You Waiting to Buy….

CLE2WDW

Mouseketeer
For those of you that are waiting for the right opportunity to come across to purchase DVC I believe your prudence is about to be rewarded. Interest rates are rising, consumer confidence is wavering, global recession on the horizon, supply of DVC inventory is increasing, and the massive bank of points from COVID is shrinking. Add that all up and I foresee a buyers market in the 3rd and 4th quarter this year.

Only time will tell I suppose but let’s not forget that it was only 2 years ago that Disney didn’t the unfathomable and paused buybacks. The time will come when 2042s are no longer appealing to buyback so a perfect storm may be brewing.

I totally agree and am hopeful to get Boardwalk with 10-12 years to go at a great price. But everything you said about the economy (which I agree a recession looks imminent) is not the greatest factor but Disney's actions themselves

Would you be referring to resale only? I have been stalking listings since early 2020 and just waiting for the right time (mostly for when I'm ready to commit). I was almost ready to buy and then the pandemic hit. Now I've been uncertain ever since. (we're also in Canada so that makes things even more complicated). I have been leaning towards buying direct so we can get our blue cards however if there are good resale options I might reconsider. Really just a reasonable Boardwalk contract would make me happy too :D

Age was a huge factor for us in eliminating resorts. We are in our 30s and 40s, so any 2042 resort was off the table. We certainly want to be going much longer than that.

I totally agree and am hopeful to get Boardwalk with 10-12 years to go at a great price. But everything you said about the economy (which I agree a recession looks imminent) is not the greatest factor but Disney's actions themselves
That's about when we'll be selling our BWV contracts, but only because we will probably be too old to travel then, and I won't want to fuss with renting. :)

That's about when we'll be selling our BWV contracts, but only because we will probably be too old to travel then, and I won't want to fuss with renting. :)
We just bought BWV. We are in our mid 40's so some would say it wasn't wise... however, we absolutely love the Boardwalk and with the improvements going in there with restaurants and (hopefully) room makeovers, we know we're going to want to be there... So, even if we have to walk away with nothing after 20 years, I think we'll still be happy that we were able to get 20 years out of it! We plan to go 2-3 times a year so I think it'll be perfect for us. That said, I'm still hopeful that Disney will offer some renewal or extension incentives for existing owners when the time comes... but not holding my breath.

ETA - we also got a GREAT price on the contract and were not willing to go higher if it was ROFR'd. If it had been taken we were going VGF.

Last edited:
Global Pandemic aside, Disney and DVC are some of the more recession proof things out there. There will be some downward pressure on prices for sure, but outside of the parks literally closing down again I don't anticipate crazy fire sale prices. Maybe there will be pressure on Disney at that time to offer great incentives so they can move the Poly2 points. A guy can hope, right? Not that I'm hoping for a bad economy

Global Pandemic aside, Disney and DVC are some of the more recession proof things out there. There will be some downward pressure on prices for sure, but outside of the parks literally closing down again I don't anticipate crazy fire sale prices. Maybe there will be pressure on Disney at that time to offer great incentives so they can move the Poly2 points. A guy can hope, right? Not that I'm hoping for a bad economy
I would say recession proof, but heavily recession resistant. We all thought prices were going to fall with COVID and that didn’t happen. Agree, that a recession will have a big impact but there still seems to be a lot of folks spending on DVC. Planes are packed with $600 flights. To me, the next slow down will impact different groups differently. It does seem like the hockey stick of pricing has to slow….

We just bought BWV. We are in our mid 40's so some would say it wasn't wise... however, we absolutely love the Boardwalk and with the improvements going in there with restaurants and (hopefully) room makeovers, we know we're going to want to be there... So, even if we have to walk away with nothing after 20 years, I think we'll still be happy that we were able to get 20 years out of it! We plan to go 2-3 times a year so I think it'll be perfect for us. That said, I'm still hopeful that Disney will offer some renewal or extension incentives for existing owners when the time comes... but not holding my breath.

ETA - we also got a GREAT price on the contract and were not willing to go higher if it was ROFR'd. If it had been taken we were going VGF.
I personally would not buy a 42 contract resort at this point but I would not say that it isn't wise to do so as each family is unique.

You want to be able to bring your family to BoardWalk as that is your happy place so that seems like the right call for you.
20 years is still a long to make some great memories and with no added stress of trying to book BoardWalk at the 7 month mark using SAP.

I hope they will offer extensions as well :)

Congrats on your purchase!!

I bought BWV a couple of years ago and 'overpaid' at the time. Prices today put me back in the green if I had to sell today. It expires when I am 70 so that actually played well into our plans. We'll transfer our BLT and PVB to our girls unless they just want us to sell them. The 2042 termination actually helped in our decision as we figured we would be downsizing then anyway.

If you enjoy BWV the is was the right thing to do
enjoy it

I check the resale sites every day. It's true the open listings get stacking up, but it's a small market, so I'm not sure what I can conclude from it.

For my case, I'm just watching the listing and closing price for now since I had a plan to sell some of my stocks and buy dvc points, but the stock price sucks now. I have to wait until rebounding... 😭

Certainly seems like prices will be coming down given the number of contracts out for sale and how many have already been reduced. Prices are still way above what they were a year or two ago, so we'll just have to see how things pan out over the next 12 months.

For those of you that are waiting for the right opportunity to come across to purchase DVC I believe your prudence is about to be rewarded. Interest rates are rising, consumer confidence is wavering, global recession on the horizon, supply of DVC inventory is increasing, and the massive bank of points from COVID is shrinking. Add that all up and I foresee a buyers market in the 3rd and 4th quarter this year.
Maybe. Maybe not.

I don’t know, but I wonder if anyone else knows this…..
Do DVC purchases go up between thanksgiving and Christmas ?
Or 4th of July and Halloween for resale to allow for ROFR….
I can she families buy DVC as a family present?

I don’t know, but I wonder if anyone else knows this…..
Do DVC purchases go up between thanksgiving and Christmas ?
Or 4th of July and Halloween for resale to allow for ROFR….
I can she families buy DVC as a family present?
I think more people tend to sell around the holidays to avoid paying the annual dues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter