For the ladies, not dis related

tsme

DIS Veteran
This isn't Disney related & to some might seem stupid. Has anyone ever cut their hair short & hated it? If so, how did you deal with it until it could grow back? I had mine cut in an inverted short bob & started crying once I got home. I know it's so stupid to be so upset about hair that will eventually grow back & realistically, it doesn't look horrible. But I'm at an age where I don't know how much longer I can pull off long hair & feel like I cut it too short, too soon. My DH doesn't understand & tells me I look pretty, etc, which I appreciate, but what else is he going to say. I guess I'm just seeing if anyone else understands.

I'm sorry you hated it but remember, it really will grow back. I tend to cut mine pixie short, grow it out long then whack it off again. I've had hairdressers beg me not to cut it so short because they fear what happened to you will happen. I always say, it's just hair it will grow back, you can't ruin it. Just embrace the change and play with it, you might be surprised and keep it that way for a while.

Could you go back to the stylist and ask for some tips on different ways to style your hair while you wait for it to grow out? Maybe even consider using hair extensions? I dealt with alopecia as a teenager. I knew I was going to lose my hair before it happened, and I thought I was okay with it until it started to happen, and then I was surprised to find how upset I actually was at first. Eventually I got used to it. I think hair is more a part of people's identity than they sometimes realize, but it will grow back, as you acknowledged. I wore wigs until my hair grew back consistently, but then just played with different colors, accessories, etc. as it grew back out until it got to a length I liked.

Yes, years ago I cut my waist length hair into a bob and was absolutely miserable! It was amazing how much the change affected my mood/attitude, and is definitely something that I will not do again.

In your case, at least it doesn't look horrible, and yes it will grow back. In the meantime, try making the best of it by styling it different ways--wavy, curly, straight. Or use headbands to add a little something. But I do completely understand and have been there.

I also get your point about age. My hair is mid-back now, but I'm entering my mid--40s and really feel like it doesn't suit my age. Yet I remember so vividly how the short hair affected me, so I can't bear to cut it off again. I don't know what I'm going to do!

Could you go back to the stylist and ask for some tips on different ways to style your hair while you wait for it to grow out? Maybe even consider using hair extensions? I dealt with alopecia as a teenager. I knew I was going to lose my hair before it happened, and I thought I was okay with it until it started to happen, and then I was surprised to find how upset I actually was at first. Eventually I got used to it. I think hair is more a part of people's identity than they sometimes realize, but it will grow back, as you acknowledged. I wore wigs until my hair grew back consistently, but then just played with different colors, accessories, etc. as it grew back out until it got to a length I liked.

Yes I can call her. That's a good idea. thx.

Yes, years ago I cut my waist length hair into a bob and was absolutely miserable! It was amazing how much the change affected my mood/attitude, and is definitely something that I will not do again.

In your case, at least it doesn't look horrible, and yes it will grow back. In the meantime, try making the best of it by styling it different ways--wavy, curly, straight. Or use headbands to add a little something. But I do completely understand and have been there.

I also get your point about age. My hair is mid-back now, but I'm entering my mid--40s and really feel like it doesn't suit my age. Yet I remember so vividly how the short hair affected me, so I can't bear to cut it off again. I don't know what I'm going to do!

My hair is naturally straight & fine. I was thinking of trying some products & attempt waves, but my hair usually doesn't hold any wave or curl. Honestly, if it wouldn't be for my age, it wouldn't bother me as much. Getting older is so hard for women.

Thanks for all the positive feed back. I appreciate it. It made me feel better.

My hair is naturally straight & fine. I was thinking of trying some products & attempt waves, but my hair usually doesn't hold any wave or curl. Honestly, if it wouldn't be for my age, it wouldn't bother me as much. Getting older is so hard for women.
It really is a pain, ugh!!!

The only other things I would suggest are those new heatless curlers that look like mesh slinkies. They worked really well on a friend's daughter who has fine/thin hair. For beach waves, maybe braiding your hair damp and leaving overnight, or braiding and running the flat iron over it--I saw those on Pinterest. You may get some more ideas there.

Your stylist might be able to recommend some products that can help hold some wave! I'm thinking maybe a sea salt spray?

Another fun thing might be hair chalk. Get a couple of different colors; it washes out easily and at least you're doing something fun until it grows out!

For beach waves, maybe braiding your hair damp and leaving overnight, or braiding and running the flat iron over it--I saw those on Pinterest. You may get some more ideas there.
Sorry, I guess I wasn't thinking--it's short so maybe twisting if you can't braid?

And I love the chalk idea...or some fun highlights?

I'm too old for hair chalk, lol. My children would die of embarrassment if I tried it. But the product idea is good. Thx.

I'm too old for hair chalk, lol. My children would die of embarrassment if I tried it. But the product idea is good. Thx.

My teenager hates it but I tell her it's her fault I have to cover the grays so she can suck it up and deal. Ha!

I liked mine the first day and then hated it after that. I was so mad that no matter how girly I was people still called me sir and Mr and of all places this was in NYC. I know it is such a stupid thing to be upset about but even as a teenager people would call me a boy and it would always upset me so it just kind of brought back these feelings that I wasn't "woman" enough. Of course I hated dealing with the cut as well. I had to spend time actually styling it even if I didn't want to because I have wavy/curly hair so it would look like a mess when it was that short if I didn't do anything. On top of all of that the stylist cut the part wrong for my natural hair flow so I constantly was having to "train" my hair to fit the cut and not the cut fitting the hair.

I basically let it grow out for 6 months and didn't even get a trim. Then I got a trim to cut only the dead ends and let it grow another 6 months. By that point my hair was back to a nice length and I was satisfied again. I'll never go back to anything shorter than a bob.

I liked mine the first day and then hated it after that. I was so mad that no matter how girly I was people still called me sir and Mr and of all places this was in NYC. I know it is such a stupid thing to be upset about but even as a teenager people would call me a boy and it would always upset me so it just kind of brought back these feelings that I wasn't "woman" enough. Of course I hated dealing with the cut as well. I had to spend time actually styling it even if I didn't want to because I have wavy/curly hair so it would look like a mess when it was that short if I didn't do anything. On top of all of that the stylist cut the part wrong for my natural hair flow so I constantly was having to "train" my hair to fit the cut and not the cut fitting the hair.

I basically let it grow out for 6 months and didn't even get a trim. Then I got a trim to cut only the dead ends and let it grow another 6 months. By that point my hair was back to a nice length and I was satisfied again. I'll never go back to anything shorter than a bob.

I understand the feelings. It's so hard getting a haircut that work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter