For Sale By Owner? Is this even possible?

Song of the South

Mouseketeer
We have been considering selling for the past year or so and are ready to let go of one of our contracts. We bought through ********** and Fidelity. I find myself chagrined to pay a 8.5% commission for a website listing and faxing papers back and forth. Have you bought or sold your points yourself? I searched here but didn't find any threads with information on the process. What resources are you familiar with that would help someone to do this themself or is it a non-starter and I better just accept it?

i believe you need to have some sort of real estate license in order to do so. I hear ya 8.5% is hard to swallow

You wouldn't need a license to sell your own contract.

There just isn't any benefit to a buyer in buying privately. If you could find your own buyer at a good price, deal with the title company, etc then it is something you could do.

You wouldn't need a license to sell your own contract.

There just isn't any benefit to a buyer in buying privately. If you could find your own buyer at a good price, deal with the title company, etc then it is something you could do.

Realistically you might actually be able to find a buyer who provides zero cash up front and you set a price you think Disney will buy back.

That way you avoid dealing with the buyer for cash and you still come out more than if you listed with a site possibly.

Realistically you might actually be able to find a buyer who provides zero cash up front and you set a price you think Disney will buy back.

That way you avoid dealing with the buyer for cash and you still come out more than if you listed with a site possibly.
If you're setting a price low enough that it will be taken by ROFR you're probably no further ahead than just getting market value through a broker and paying commission. Then someone else can handle all the paperwork too.

If you're setting a price low enough that it will be taken by ROFR you're probably no further ahead than just getting market value through a broker and paying commission. Then someone else can handle all the paperwork too.

Not really contracts are taken through brokers and you pay 8% on top of it.

I saw a few listings on eBay recently, so I do think you can do it yourself. The listing indicated that they were posting on eBay to avoid the high commission fees and offered to split the difference with the buyer. It also indicated that Mason Title will be used, so the seller must have plans to contact them after a bid was accepted.

There's web sites where you can pay to list your own contract, they provide templates for the transaction, could be worth looking into.

Buyer probably pays less and seller nets more, 8.5 percent is a good chunk and there's definitely room there.

Not really contracts are taken through brokers and you pay 8% on top of it.
If you're setting a price that is low enough that you're intentionally trying to get it bought back that's a bit different than some random contract being bought back. You're obviously not going to set it at market value because then you only have a small chance of it being taken back vs attempting to guarantee a buy back. For buyers there really is no advantage but for sellers there could be if they can manage to get near market on their own and don't mind handling things themselves.

For me, that 8.5% got a quick sale at a top market price with no hassle and handled by professional realtors. Plus they have a huge marketing network to buyers. Years ago, it was 10%.

There’s a large website that lets people list all kinds of timeshare sales and rentals. I’ve seen a few deals from that site. It usually has a handful of listings, though I guess not right now. The whole resale market is tight right now.

You still use a normal title company, so this is a legit thing people do for lots of timeshares. I disagree that buyers wouldn’t be interested.

We have been considering selling for the past year or so and are ready to let go of one of our contracts. We bought through ********** and Fidelity. I find myself chagrined to pay a 8.5% commission for a website listing and faxing papers back and forth. Have you bought or sold your points yourself? I searched here but didn't find any threads with information on the process. What resources are you familiar with that would help someone to do this themself or is it a non-starter and I better just accept it?
There is a resale group that only charges 4%.
dvc magic

Editted by Mod to add link:
https://www.dvcmagicresales.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
There is another broker *************.com who charges 6.5%. I sold a contract through the sponsor in February and had a buyer in an hour. I priced it a bit high but only went down $3 PP. It was on to ROFR within 24 hours.

I emailed the 4% folks wanting an AKV six weeks ago (listing only showed partial info) and they NEVER got back to me. I would not list with them if they are not contacting potential buyers!

I've found myself paying full price on the past four contracts as they were listed at a great price. I bought them all within an hour or so of being listed. Different strategies for unloading contracts depending on how bad you want to sell... I would not try to sell myself, just my opinion. Good luck!

There is another broker *************.com who charges 6.5%. I sold a contract through the sponsor in February and had a buyer in an hour. I priced it a bit high but only went down $3 PP. It was on to ROFR within 24 hours.

I emailed the 4% folks wanting an AKV six weeks ago (listing only showed partial info) and they NEVER got back to me. I would not list with them if they are not contacting potential buyers!

I've found myself paying full price on the past four contracts as they were listed at a great price. I bought them all within an hour or so of being listed. Different strategies for unloading contracts depending on how bad you want to sell... I would not try to sell myself, just my opinion. Good luck!
I would still give them a try. It is a sellers market and the contract you contracted them about was probably already sold. Plus, the title co does all the work.

The market is VERY strong at the moment and as others have started it is DEF a seller's market. At the DVC Resale Market we're selling over 80% of listings in 7 days or less (many within hours!) and at all time high prices (so any dif in a lower commission could be easily offset by selling it for more and way quicker!) - if you have any questions feel free to reach out to me via email at derek@dvcresalemarket.com anytime and I can send you details of the simple process!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter