For Galaxy's Edge backstory - what books do you recommend?

sunflowerblooms

Mouseketeer
Looking for the chronological list of books for Galaxy’s Edge story line. I have found a few lists online but interested in what folks here are reading. We are going in Feb 2020 so we have plenty of time to do a deep dive into books and comics.

Black Spire by Delilah Dawson. Reading it right now, not only does it give you a complete look at BSO but also a nice backstory and character development of Vi Moradi which is a roaming character you will see inside Galaxy's Edge
The other book people are recommending is Crash of Fate, haven't bought that one yet
Black Spire will put you in line with the timeline beweet episode VIII and IX

Black Spire by Delilah Dawson. Reading it right now, not only does it give you a complete look at BSO but also a nice backstory and character development of Vi Moradi which is a roaming character you will see inside Galaxy's Edge
The other book people are recommending is Crash of Fate, haven't bought that one yet
Thank you. We are all looking forward to our visit and want it to be as immersive as possible so this is exactly what I am looking for regarding the backstory!

Yeah, Phasma was the first book by Delilah Dawson, and Black Spire uses two of the characters from that book, Vi Moradi (the spy) and Cardinal, a First Order stormtrooper captain. You don't NEED to read Phasma before Black Spire, but it will definitely add to your understanding of those characters.

Yeah, Phasma was the first book by Delilah Dawson, and Black Spire uses two of the characters from that book, Vi Moradi (the spy) and Cardinal, a First Order stormtrooper captain. You don't NEED to read Phasma before Black Spire, but it will definitely add to your understanding of those characters.

Vi! I was so close, just one letter off! lol

Just came back from Batuu and saw Vi after the land closed, she was inspecting the x wing before heading inside :) I told her I was reading about her in a book and she seemed intrigued as to how someone knew her story. I told her she was famous, she said to keep the info secret unless I knew for a fact that I was talking to a resistance ally :) this was taken at 10:25pm, the park closed at 10pm and we were the last out.

I just got done reading the 5-part comic series. I'd recommend that, because each book fleshes out how Batuu was "relevant" during different points in the original, prequel and sequel trilogies (as well as the comics). Just gives it a better "positioning" in the universe. It does also give some more background and info on Dok Ondar and his den of antiquities, but the main storyline is pretty meh. Still, it's perfectly positioned towards people anticipating a visit to SWGE!

Pirates Price is also a good one. It’s for younger readers but still entertaining. It explains how Hondo and the Falcon are at Black Spire. The audiobook is really entertaining if you know the character. It’s read by Jim Cummings all in Hondo”s voice.

As others have said.. Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire I got the audio book and the hardcover.. Barnes and Noble has a version that has a map in it. I didnt get it all read before hitting SW:GE but did have SOME backstory I was able to interact with Vi some. After being there and reading more of the book you can really visualize stuff.. It's pretty cool! I LOVE how everyone interacts with you. I just hope guests "get into it" or the CM's are gonna get bored..

is the comic series good for young children? aged 6 - 9?

I'm not a parent so take this with a grain of salt, but I didn't think anything in the comics was inappropriate, and definitely nothing was too much if they are already familiar with any of the main Star Wars films. They may not understand a ton of the plot (only because it jumps around a lot and isn't that cohesive anyway), but I'd think it'd be cool to show them some of the scenes and characters in the comic and then have them recognize them in the park.

I'm not a parent so take this with a grain of salt, but I didn't think anything in the comics was inappropriate, and definitely nothing was too much if they are already familiar with any of the main Star Wars films. They may not understand a ton of the plot (only because it jumps around a lot and isn't that cohesive anyway), but I'd think it'd be cool to show them some of the scenes and characters in the comic and then have them recognize them in the park.

Thank you!

As others have said.. Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire I got the audio book and the hardcover.. Barnes and Noble has a version that has a map in it. I didnt get it all read before hitting SW:GE but did have SOME backstory I was able to interact with Vi some. After being there and reading more of the book you can really visualize stuff.. It's pretty cool! I LOVE how everyone interacts with you. I just hope guests "get into it" or the CM's are gonna get bored..
This is so true. I first went for an AP preview, which was before the book came out. After reading the book I really can visualize so much of the story. The tie is in stunning. You come to a real understanding of why GE is Batuu and not something else from a prior story. You realize it's "current" so to speak, in the SW story realm at least. Anything else would have been based on a past story.

Thank you for the recommendation. Just put this on hold at our local library for my kids.

I had a hard time getting into the book at first, I felt like it was just ticking off boxes. Like here's the Droid Depot, here's the cantina, etc. But now I'm about 100 pages in and am liking it more.

I’m about 30% through Black Spire and I’m really enjoying it. I’ll probably buy it someday. It’s interesting and well written. The downside of reading the books with BSO in them is I now want to wander the BSO described in the books instead of our mini version. It’s still increasing my enjoyment of the land though.

The Crash of Fate novel was not good. While the plot was ok, I thought it was poorly written. A few times I even had to turn back a page to make sure I hadn’t missed something as the flow didn’t make sense. It’s not an issue of it being a YA book; I’ve read nearly all of the new canon SW chapter books, whether adult, YA, or older kids books, and this is the first I’ve found to be written poorly.

I had a hard time getting into the book at first, I felt like it was just ticking off boxes. Like here's the Droid Depot, here's the cantina, etc. But now I'm about 100 pages in and am liking it more.

I fully agree with this - definitely felt like they were making a point of including every store/shop and mentioning each food item by name available

But once you get past that you get a lot more about Oga and Savi which I think is really great

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter