"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

We're not ones for really long driving days, so driving back to New England, we've decided to take our time and travel via the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive for part of the trip. We've never been and seems like a fun diversion. We're thinking of doing some short (2-3 mile) hikes to waterfalls along the way. Does anyone know generally how safe the parking is at trailheads along the parkway? We've going to have all the luggage and stuff from our WDW stay in the car. Thanks!

Hello fellow drivers! Seemed pretty quiet around here so I thought I would just stop in say hello. I have no plans of any trips coming up in the near further than 18 miles. Lol
I did drive up to Sanford airport to pick up my wife on Monday, traffic wasn’t bad at all. Just a brief northeast visit and couldn’t wait to get back home for some blue skies and sunshine! Florida living is tuff but it does grow on you after awhile. Lol
Well, I made it through my assessment on Saturday, my earning my ears tag is off! Worked my first shift Wednesday night, still a lot to learn but I’m getting there. It has been a fun ride going through the process. Hardest part for me is i always worked for small, family owned businesses. Now i see more people in one break room at a time than what I’m use to working with total. Lol
Everyone is very helpful, even the people who are not in the same role. Ive had several people help me find my way without even asking.
It’s been great and having the time of my life.
That’s it for me right now, remember….. keep your hands on the wheel and the shiny side up.
and I have to add, “watch your step and please remain seated…. Have a nice flight! Lol

Hello fellow drivers! Seemed pretty quiet around here so I thought I would just stop in say hello. I have no plans of any trips coming up in the near further than 18 miles. Lol
I did drive up to Sanford airport to pick up my wife on Monday, traffic wasn’t bad at all. Just a brief northeast visit and couldn’t wait to get back home for some blue skies and sunshine! Florida living is tuff but it does grow on you after awhile. Lol
Well, I made it through my assessment on Saturday, my earning my ears tag is off! Worked my first shift Wednesday night, still a lot to learn but I’m getting there. It has been a fun ride going through the process. Hardest part for me is i always worked for small, family owned businesses. Now i see more people in one break room at a time than what I’m use to working with total. Lol
Everyone is very helpful, even the people who are not in the same role. Ive had several people help me find my way without even asking.
That’s it for me right now, remember….. keep your hands on the wheel and the shiny side up.
and I have to add, “watch your step and please remain seated…. Have a nice flight! Lol
I told my wife that when I retire I wouldn't mind being a boat skipper. She said I wouldn't last a week commuting up and back on I-4. She's correct! LOL.

We start our 4th 2700 mile round trip early Wednesday morning… leaving the Durham Region east or Toronto… taking the standard 90/79/77 etc route… we normally drive straight through on the way down but decided to stop in Mooresville NC Wednesday night to do some shopping and have some Bojangles as this will be our first trip to the US since Covid.. we were at magic kingdom the last night they were open before the big shut down in March 2020.. we will be up bright and early Thursday morning to finish the drive and pull into the Polynesian mid afternoon! We have had 3 canceled/postponed trips during Covid so needless to say we are beyond excited to get this trip under way.. Disney.. American restaurants.. it’s crazy to think it’s been over 2 years since we were last in the US when it use to be every 2-3 months for either Disney trip or some cross border shopping in NY

I told my wife that when I retire I wouldn't mind being a boat skipper. She said I wouldn't last a week commuting up and back on I-4. She's correct! LOL.
It’s not too bad. Part time is max three days a week. Ive been scheduled for two days a week for the next two weeks. You can always pick up shifts if you want. I also requested, which isn’t a problem to work evenings. By the time I get out of work, no traffic at all. Lol
There are plenty of back roads I can take but I4 has been the fastest option every trip so far.
All though, sometimes I think I should have just went to the Winn Dixie at the front of our developement and be done with it. I could walk to work.

We start our 4th 2700 mile round trip early Wednesday morning… leaving the Durham Region east or Toronto… taking the standard 90/79/77 etc route… we normally drive straight through on the way down but decided to stop in Mooresville NC Wednesday night to do some shopping and have some Bojangles as this will be our first trip to the US since Covid.. we were at magic kingdom the last night they were open before the big shut down in March 2020.. we will be up bright and early Thursday morning to finish the drive and pull into the Polynesian mid afternoon! We have had 3 canceled/postponed trips during Covid so needless to say we are beyond excited to get this trip under way.. Disney.. American restaurants.. it’s crazy to think it’s been over 2 years since we were last in the US when it use to be every 2-3 months for either Disney trip or some cross border shopping in NY
Hi, I live in Mooresville. Just wanting to mention just north of Mooresville, rte. 77 in the Statesville area (exits 54 through just south of exit 48), is a big mess with a lot of roadwork so can be a bit of a slowdown. Not sure if they had everything torn up when you were last through there. Safe travels!

Hi Dave, can you tell me again where you’re working or does it change? I’ll be on the lookout for you when we’re there the week of the 17th.

Hi, I live in Mooresville. Just wanting to mention just north of Mooresville, rte. 77 in the Statesville area (exits 54 through just south of exit 48), is a big mess with a lot of roadwork so can be a bit of a slowdown. Not sure if they had everything torn up when you were last through there. Safe travels!
Thanks for the heads up!! I’ve going to that area for 25 years .. (big nascar fan and use to go to the fall race at Charlotte Motor Speedway but would stay in Mooresville to visit the race shops) and I swear 77 is always under construction somewhere!!

Hi Dave, can you tell me again where you’re working or does it change? I’ll be on the lookout for you when we’re there the week of the 17th.
Ahh, thanks for thinking of me. It’s a little ruff, 90 percent of the time I can’t take my eyes off what I’m doing. The only time I can have a conversation or even look away is when I’m a greeter. We rotate so your not doing the same thing for long. But, if you happen to see me, don’t be afraid to ask me if I’m Zerf, and pending what I’m doing I can at least say hello.
My wife and daughter seem to find me greeting but we have an AP called life 360, so they know where I’m standing because my cell phone is in my pocket. Lol

Ahh, thanks for thinking of me. It’s a little ruff, 90 percent of the time I can’t take my eyes off what I’m doing. The only time I can have a conversation or even look away is when I’m a greeter. We rotate so your not doing the same thing for long. But, if you happen to see me, don’t be afraid to ask me if I’m Zerf, and pending what I’m doing I can at least say hello.
My wife and daughter seem to find me greeting but we have an AP called life 360, so they know where I’m standing because my cell phone is in my pocket. Lol
I’ll be on the lookout!!

I’ll be on the lookout!!
Another good way, beside 5-8 and what little hair is left is grey lol, I’ll have shorts on. For some reason a lot of them wear pants. I also have a Mickey Mouse tattoo on the outside of my right calf.
It’s kinda far away but that’s me.

Attachments

• 772B7A0E-480A-4834-BA83-B96ECF845346.jpeg
    772B7A0E-480A-4834-BA83-B96ECF845346.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 25
We are enroute to Florida. The drive was the busiest we’ve seen yet ( driving thru the night). We were in construction traffic for over an hour at midnight last night in Maryland. And SC was VERY slow going! Took us forever to get out of that state!! 😩
I’m pretty sure this is an indication to how busy it will be this week. It’s always been busy Easter week but especially this year. We couldn’t believe the amount of people there in February. I’m a little afraid. But of course so happy to be back in warm sunny FL!!

Hello!

It’s been a while since we’ve driven down to see the Mouse. I’ll be headed down with my 15 DD this summer to Orlando for a VB tournament. Still won’t see the Mouse unfortunately 😔

Normally DH and I make the drive from chicago overnight. This will be my first time driving on my own and will be breaking it up over two days. My plan is to leave the Chicago area on a Friday. I’d like to get past Atlanta on day 1. Historically, it’s been about 12 hours for us to get to Atlanta. Plus 1 hour for the time change. I haven’t decided what time we’re leaving yet.

So here’s my dilemma. I’m anxious about getting thru Atlanta. Normally DH drives that portion but I’ve gone thru at 5am on a Saturday morning and it’s not bad at that time lol. I’m leaning toward the Atlanta bypass, west of the city. Has anyone taken that route vs going thru the city and have a pros/cons list for me?

Hello!

It’s been a while since we’ve driven down to see the Mouse. I’ll be headed down with my 15 DD this summer to Orlando for a VB tournament. Still won’t see the Mouse unfortunately 😔

Normally DH and I make the drive from chicago overnight. This will be my first time driving on my own and will be breaking it up over two days. My plan is to leave the Chicago area on a Friday. I’d like to get past Atlanta on day 1. Historically, it’s been about 12 hours for us to get to Atlanta. Plus 1 hour for the time change. I haven’t decided what time we’re leaving yet.

So here’s my dilemma. I’m anxious about getting thru Atlanta. Normally DH drives that portion but I’ve gone thru at 5am on a Saturday morning and it’s not bad at that time lol. I’m leaning toward the Atlanta bypass, west of the city. Has anyone taken that route vs going thru the city and have a pros/cons list for me?
I’ve never taken the bypass, so I can’t answer that.

Honestly, on a Friday, you’d almost have to leave late Thursday night to get through Atlanta before rush hour. I wouldn’t attempt Atlanta before 3 PM on a Friday. And that’s Eastern time. Go back 12 hours and that’s 2 AM Chicago time. Allow an hour or two for gas and meals, and you’re pushing midnight.

I’d leave about 5 AM your time and spend the night just north of Atlanta (Marietta) about 6-6:30 Eastern Time. Start off Saturday morning about 5 (so you’ll be going through Atlanta at 5 AM on a Saturday morning), and you’ll be in Orlando by noon.

I’ve never taken the bypass, so I can’t answer that.

Honestly, on a Friday, you’d almost have to leave late Thursday night to get through Atlanta before rush hour. I wouldn’t attempt Atlanta before 3 PM on a Friday. And that’s Eastern time. Go back 12 hours and that’s 2 AM Chicago time. Allow an hour or two for gas and meals, and you’re pushing midnight.

I’d leave about 5 AM your time and spend the night just north of Atlanta (Marietta) about 6-6:30 Eastern Time. Start off Saturday morning about 5 (so you’ll be going through Atlanta at 5 AM on a Saturday morning), and you’ll be in Orlando by noon.

After I posted this, I realized the obvious choice would be to stop before Atlanta 🤦🏼‍♀️ I think that will be the plan. Thank you :)

We are enroute to Florida. The drive was the busiest we’ve seen yet ( driving thru the night). We were in construction traffic for over an hour at midnight last night in Maryland. And SC was VERY slow going! Took us forever to get out of that state!! 😩
I’m pretty sure this is an indication to how busy it will be this week. It’s always been busy Easter week but especially this year. We couldn’t believe the amount of people there in February. I’m a little afraid. But of course so happy to be back in warm sunny FL!!
Welcome to sunny Florida!! It’s time to give up the drive! I was kind of surprised, I worked Friday night leaving my house at 3pm and the traffic locally wasn’t to bad. I will be leaving again in an hour to make Magic in less than hour. We had Easter breakfast this morning at Ohanas. Did a little swimming and took a nap, the old man can’t stay awake after midnight without a nap. Lol
Enjoy your vacation!

Hello everyone... we just came home from Disney back to RI and though we took 95N all the way down and we lucked out and hit no traffic until we reached Orlando, I can't say the same for us driving home. We hit so much traffic even in SC and forget about NYC. I remember reading there is a better way to go around 95 but I can't seem to find the directions. If someone has a better alternative I would appreciate it. TIA

Hello everyone... we just came home from Disney back to RI and though we took 95N all the way down and we lucked out and hit no traffic until we reached Orlando, I can't say the same for us driving home. We hit so much traffic even in SC and forget about NYC. I remember reading there is a better way to go around 95 but I can't seem to find the directions. If someone has a better alternative I would appreciate it. TIA
When you hit I4 heading towards Orlando, take exit 101, I believe it’s 101c but just follow the signs for Rt417. It is a toll road but it takes you around Orlando.
There are signs for Walt Disney World exit 3 and 6 I believe, just continue to the end. You will go through the toll booth and follow the ramp all the way to the end. Two big signs…. If you stay to the left you get on I4 heading towards Tampa. If you stay to the right, walt Disney world, it will take you right into property. No lights, no driving through town, it will take you right in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!