FOP Seating Request

EEva

Mouseketeer
Hi! I've read that if you are prone to motion sickness, then it is better to sit in the middle of a row on FOP. Has anyone had experience with requesting this? I imagine it would be like asking for B1 on Soarin'. I haven't heard any reports about asking for a specific location on FOP so wondered if the CMs can grant this type of request?

Like for anything else at WDW...
You can always ask, nicely.

I wouldn't even bother with the busiest attraction at WDW.

Soarin' was the busiest attraction at WDW for a very long time, and guests could always ask for particular
seating.
As long as the guest is polite, and is ready to accept "Sorry, but no" as an answer...
have at it.

Soarin' was the busiest attraction at WDW for a very long time, and guests could always ask for particular
seating. As long as the guest is polite, and is ready to accept "no" as an answer...
have at it.

I almost brought up Soarin. The one time we asked to sit B1 we got a really rude response. Never again. YMMV with the CMs at Soarin and FoP. Not always the best experiences, which sucks, because those are my 2 favorite rides.

Maybe just me, but I’m not even sure if I’d know enough about “where I am” in that building/those lines to know where/when to ask! It’s not like Soarin’ where it’s more obvious “where” you will be on the ride.

But again, probably just me!

I almost brought up Soarin. The one time we asked to sit B1 we got a really rude response. Never again. YMMV with the CMs at Soarin and FoP. Not always the best experiences, which sucks, because those are my 2 favorite rides.

One of the advantages of being on this board is to get a broader perspective of what "should happen"
vs what "happened one time."
If you had a bad experience once, that's not pleasant.
However, if you read the boards, it possible to see that asking to sit in "B1" is a very, very common request.
Most times, one that is available to you via pleasant and cooperative CMs.

One of the advantages of being on this board is to get a broader perspective of what "should happen"
vs what "happened one time."
If you had a bad experience once, that's not pleasant.
However, if you read the boards, it possible to see that asking to sit in "B1" is a very, very common request.
Most times, one that is available to you via pleasant and cooperative CMs.

It’s all good. Many weird experiences there over the years. Now I just book Garden Grill PPO. :)

I sat in the middle and I felt very sick. I was the only one in the entire group ( one side) that felt very motion sick.

For what it is worth, I am prone to motion sickness (can't ride Star Tours) but was determined to ride FOP. I was only a couple seats off from the middle and, while it was totally worth it, I really had to focus on my breathing and sometimes stare at specific objects to fight off symptoms . It wasn't about the angles or distortion for me, but rather the speed at which you fly through/past everything.

I felt better after a pineapple spring roll and night blossom from Pongu Pongu :)

FYI - I don't think "where" in the row makes much of a difference for FOP in terms of motion sickness. I get motion sick REALLY, REALLY easy. I can't keep my eyes open the whole time on FOP (can't watch the fast dives) - but I can watch a fair amount. For me - the trick with this one is to follow the direct line of sight in sync with my banshee. When actively flying - I don't look widely at the screen. I only really take in the whole screen when my banshee has come to a rest for a few seconds or is moving slowly.

I have sat in the middle and on the ends, I have been on bottom and middle floors.

I get nauseous, dizzy and have vertigo ongoing.

I had NO problems on FoP.

First ride I spent most the ride (long story) looking everywhere, behind, across, above, etc. It should have made me really sick doing that but it didn't.

What I did find in my "adventure" was go with your vehicle, do not try to stay stiff or not move. DO NOT move your eyes with the screen and not move your head. Move your whole head where you want to look, again go with the vehicle movement. The technology they have created with the vehicle and floor moving in sync with the movie should keep you from getting sick. If you fight the movement, even just head movement, you could find the screen blurry/warped. It immediately stopped when I moved my head.

Last edited:
Maybe just me, but I’m not even sure if I’d know enough about “where I am” in that building/those lines to know where/when to ask! It’s not like Soarin’ where it’s more obvious “where” you will be on the ride.

Nope. It’s not just you.

It’s us ;)

I have no idea where I am until the screen goes down (or up? Jeepers. That attraction has me so discombobulated) and the rest of the theatre is revealed.

I have sat in the middle and on the ends, I have been on bottom and middle floors.

I get nauseous, dizzy and have vertigo ongoing.

I had NO problems on FoP.

First ride I spent most the ride (long story) looking everywhere, behind, across, above, etc. It should have made me really sick doing that but it didn't.

What I did find in my "adventure" was go with your vehicle, do not try to stay stiff or not move. DO NOT move your eyes with the screen and not move your head. Move your whole head where you want to look, again go with the vehicle movement. The technology they have created with the vehicle and floor moving in sync with the movie should keep you from getting sick. If you fight the movement, even just head movement, you could find the screen blurry/warped. It immediately stopped when I moved my head.
So curious, is the screen wide enough that you can keep your head looking forward, no matter where you sit? I wonder if that would be the issue? If you had to look more left or right. Or is the view pretty much from the back of "your" banshee?

I guess I'm just gonna have to take my Bonine and take my chances! :)

I get motion sickness easily, Soarin is usually okay with me, Star Tours, it depends on when I go on it in the day (usually though I hate myself for going on it afterwards lol). FOP I had no problems. I ended up riding it 4 times in my trip and sat in a different place each time and was fine. Granted when I go to WDW I have Bonine on the bus to the park every day so I can prevent as much sickness as I can. Universal Studios though, I am down for the count after a few rides and need a good hour break or so to get myself together to power through more.

I also get car sick very easily. I have yet to ride Mission Space in my life and never will for the sole reason I am not trying to end my vacation early.

That is one of the reasons I thought to ask this question. With Soarin' it's pretty obvious when you are getting assigned your spots. And I've found asking "would it be at all possible?", and "I'm willing to wait" has worked for us.

When we were there last October we rode it 7 times- enough that we go to notice the differences in the experience from different locations. We liked being in the higher level best and the last few times we asked for it and each time they happily met our request. I know we requested for a different reason than OP, but hopefully they would get the same response.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter