FoP Rope Drop a Bust Today (Friday 11/8)

Christine

DIS Veteran
I rode FoP the other day with an FP so didn’t really need to do this but I had some free time this morning. Got over to AK at 8am. Got in the park quickly and waited for the drop at about8:50. We were pretty far back. I can’t even explain how far back we were. We finally moved with the crowed god knows where until they got us in a Lin formation. We finally got into a dead stop so faraway it was a joke. Wait time payed at 135 minutes and likely to be 65 minutes.

We left. Just way too long. My son did this last year and didn’t get to the line entrance until 9:05 and it was nothing like this.

I think I’ll stick to late night attempts!

We were there last weekend, and the wait said was either 70 or 90 minutes, so we (just me and 1 kid) gave it a shot. We were on board the ride in under 30 minutes. It was a walk all the way to just outside the lab.

Feeling lucky, we went back with the rest of the family when it said 100 minutes, and we waited for 45 minutes to get to the FP mesh point, and the guy told us it was 2 hours from there. We bailed. So inconsistent.

Yeah if you’re not there super early so you can be at the very front of the crowd you’re going to have a long wait. We like rope dropping AK and walking on to all the other rides while everyone else is in line at FoP. Last year we rode EE twice in a row with absolutely no wait.

Sucks that an hour early isn’t enough to put you at the front of the pack, but yep if you’re far back you’re almost better off changing plans and doing it at any other time of day (or trying for a FP) and walking on basically everything else after rope drop.

this line was something. People were joking in line that we were routed over to Hollywood Studios. Ended up doing quick rides on EE and Kali.

Sucks that an hour early isn’t enough to put you at the front of the pack, but yep if you’re far back you’re almost better off changing plans and doing it at any other time of day (or trying for a FP) and walking on basically everything else after rope drop.

Agree. Not a good use of time. Maybe crowds were really high today to kick off the holiday weekend.

I think this weekend is going to be nuts at WDW. I could never RD that ride. The one time we were there at 7am EMH I was very happy to be heading to NRJ instead.

Usually we RD the Yeti while everyone is over in Pandora. My partner loves to ride EE four or five times in a row with no wait. But a couple weeks ago, I was at AK solo, so I went over to FOP. Granted it was 7am RD during the additional EMH and it was a little rainy, but the line was not bad at all. I was toward the back and the wait was probably 20 to 25 minutes, but the line was moving continuously during that time. I wonder how much of a difference the early start and the rain made

Not sure what happened but the crowds last weekend got insane and didn't calm down on Monday at all. Last Wed-Fri were completely quiet(Fri night Halloween Party was swamped though), then Sat-Mon went crazy. FOP had a 30 minute stated wait time Thursday at 11:00 AM, the park was empty. I have photos of the guy playing instruments in Africa and I am the only person in the photo. Sunday at 11:00 AM the wait for FOP was 210 minutes. Not sure if the loss of the early morning EMH compacted the crowds, or if this week is just much busier overall. There definitely was a change on midday Friday from slow to crazy busy.

Not sure what happened but the crowds last weekend got insane and didn't calm down on Monday at all. Last Wed-Fri were completely quiet(Fri night Halloween Party was swamped though), then Sat-Mon went crazy. FOP had a 30 minute stated wait time Thursday at 11:00 AM, the park was empty. I have photos of the guy playing instruments in Africa and I am the only person in the photo. Sunday at 11:00 AM the wait for FOP was 210 minutes. Not sure if the loss of the early morning EMH compacted the crowds, or if this week is just much busier overall. There definitely was a change on midday Friday from slow to crazy busy.
Last weekend was a race weekend, which brought in a lot of people who then stay a few days after the races.

OP - I think I would have stuck it out. You are still there before the FP's start to return so the line will go REALLY fast. As other's have stated, the actual line time is generally 1/2 what is being posted for the first hour.

Got over to AK at 8am. Got in the park quickly and waited for the drop at about8:50. We were pretty far back. I can’t even explain how far back we were.

You have to be at the park at least 90 minutes early to be near the front of the pack. You also have to be prepared to walk briskly from the tapstiles to the rope to hold your place. I've rope dropped twice, arriving 90 minutes early, and rode the first flight as a single rider and made the second flight the next time.

OP - I think I would have stuck it out. You are still there before the FP's start to return so the line will go REALLY fast. As other's have stated, the actual line time is generally 1/2 what is being posted for the first hour.

Half of 135 minutes was still too much for RD with a 1 hour early arrival. Total wait time would have clocked at over 2 hours. I think I truly prefer a park close ride which has never taken more than 35 minutes.

You have to be at the park at least 90 minutes early to be near the front of the pack. You also have to be prepared to walk briskly from the tapstiles to the rope to hold your place. I've rope dropped twice, arriving 90 minutes early, and rode the first flight as a single rider and made the second flight the next time.

Yeah guess I’m just not seeing that benefit as opposed to what I’ve done at night. I’m no stranger to RD, but FoP RD is not a good time value for me.

Yeah guess I’m just not seeing that benefit as opposed to what I’ve done at night. I’m no stranger to RD, but FoP RD is not a good time value for me.

I‘m with you. Especially since we’ve ridden it before, I would opt for rolling the dice on a day of FP, being there to ride it at night, or skipping it completely.

I’d much rather the payoff of a MK rope drop where you can arrive later than 90 mins early, and hit up lots of attractions that have moderate to long waits, not one attraction with a horrendous wait lol.

Question.... will the wait still be that long at closing? My daughter is at AK right now with my parents and they say the wait time has been 2 hours all day. If she gets in line closer to park closing, will it still be two hours long???

I‘m with you. Especially since we’ve ridden it before, I would opt for rolling the dice on a day of FP, being there to ride it at night, or skipping it completely.

I understand... I'm a morning person so I don't mind getting to the park early. And I have yet to have any success with day of FP for FoP.

Question.... will the wait still be that long at closing? My daughter is at AK right now with my parents and they say the wait time has been 2 hours all day. If she gets in line closer to park closing, will it still be two hours long???

In my experience, no. The wait time will be inflated but will likely be about 40 minutes. But you should realize that with the Magic Kingdom closing early for the Christmas party today, AK could be more crowded than usual. Also weather is now cold and dreary so that will work in her favor.

min my experience, no. The wait time will be inflated but will likely be about 49 minutes. But you should realize that with the Magic Kingdom closing early for the Christmas party today, AK could be more crowded than usual. Also weather is now cold and dreary so that will work in her favor.

Thank you! I will let her know. I forgot about MK closing early. She is at the park with my parents (while I sit here at home in NJ! LOL). They are at dinner at the RF cafe now. I'm not sure if my parents will want to go back in to give it a shot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!