Footbrawl Game

Its been announced that Mason is not filing charges and honestly I don't think filing charges would be in his best interest its not like he is totally innocent here. Mason did try to rip the helmet off, kick him in the groin, and then charge at him when Myles was already being held back by his teammates, not to mention no telling what he was saying as well. However what Myles did is inexcusable and I agree with the ban which essentially is 6 games, I'm pretty sure he will be reinstated next season. There are players who have done far worse and are still playing. Plus I feel this isn't an isolated incident, there have been plenty of fights in the NFL, including one where a guy stomped on another guys face requiring stitches. It's a violent sport. I also agree with the other suspensions that have been announced. However I feel Mason should serve a two game suspension because as I mentioned before he is not totally innocent in this either. I think with them not suspending him the NFL is making this worse. The Browns and Steelers play again in two weeks and I can see the Browns defense having some animosity towards him and eager to light him up. Or maybe Mason doesn't play at all in two weeks, if this didn't happen we would all be talking about how he is a terrible quarterback and he is definitely not the future for the Steelers, can't read a defense and throwing interceptions all night.

Who ever said anything about it being justified? I haven't seen a single post or heard a single bit of news coverage saying it was justified. It clearly wasn't, no matter how you slice it. It was cowardly, ugly, and pathetic. I simply don't think criminal charges are warranted and history would say that it won't be. This isn't the first time something like this has happened, nor will it be the last. Nor is it unique to football. The NFL has some unsavory characters, but given how many players there are, the % is rather small. Unfortunately, they're the ones who get the attention and not the ones who actually do a lot of good with their platform.

Keep in mind this one act of utter stupidity is going to cost him literally more than $1,000,000. Nothing to sneeze at and one heck of a lot more of a price that a non-pro athlete would pay for the same act. He deserves the fine and then some, but IMO it's definitely not a slap on the wrist.
Lol....well of course...he gets pay a ridiculous amount of money...a heck of a lot more than a non-pro athlete. If a non-pro athlete behaved that way at work; they'd be fired and most likely criminally charged.

you know us in Cleveland ahd to get beat up on and off the field buy the Steelers for 50 years, they would do all kinds of illegal stuff to my Browns, it was explained "thats just Steeler Football" , so nothing makes me more happy then when the bully for years gets beat up and cries, this is a victory for all of us

I agree it was quite cowardly. I'm a huge NFL fan, and this is completely out of character for what happens in the games, so I think it's not appropriate to paint a broad brush with this isolated incident.

I would also say it's a bit over the top to say he should be criminally charged with assault. In that case, Pouncey should also be charged with assault because he threw punches and kicked Garrett in the head. By strict definition, I suppose it would qualify as "assault", but so would every single fist fight that breaks out in hockey, baseball, etc... Boxing (which I am not a fan of) is pure assault by its nature and the MMA (which I dislike even more than boxing) is even worse. They aren't charged. I'm a big racing fan. Fights have broken out in NASCAR many times, and the drivers have...and do... used their cars to take each other out. No assault charges are filed, and in fact NASCAR often doesn't take any action. Sports are rough, sometimes violent. Controls need to be put into place, and disciplines handed out when warranted. But criminal charges are a bit extreme, IMO.
The guy used a helmet to hit someone. If a baseball player took a bat and hit someone I'd feel the same way or a hockey player took a hockey stick and hit someone. There are still checks and balances in sports. I really see absolutely no reason to deflect or downplay what occurred.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened, nor will it be the last.
I think I heard on ESPN that the last time someone took a swing at another player with a helmet was 1954. They showed a picture of the victim in a hospital bed with a bandage over an eye. There was no suspension or fine for the one who took the swing.

During another ESPN show, they showed Garrett taking a swing at a Tennessee Titan. Let's not act like this was an isolated incident. But, I agree w/PP who pointed at the other NFL players who had off field troubles and they still got to play.

I think an 8 game suspension is the right amount.

That's why I said I would feel the same.

The PP was comparing fist fights and mma and boxing (where those two are totally a different sport than football) to a guy being hit in the head with a helmet.

In terms of your examples I don't think they would assign the description of slashing if a hockey player used the hockey stick like the football player used the helmet. Like imagine a hockey player going and beating up a player with their hockey stick. That's not the same IMO as in play contact like slashing is usually applied to so I would hope a more severe look was done on that if that occurred.

In your baseball example I'm envisioning someone taking the bat and hitting someone like the helmet used. In the article you linked there are a few examples of that and a few examples of grey area ones IMO.

That's why I said I would feel the same.

The PP was comparing fist fights and mma and boxing (where those two are totally a different sport than football) to a guy being hit in the head with a helmet.

In terms of your examples I don't think they would assign the description of slashing if a hockey player used the hockey stick like the football player used the helmet. Like imagine a hockey player going and beating up a player with their hockey stick. That's not the same IMO as in play contact like slashing is usually applied to so I would hope a more severe look was done on that if that occurred.

In your baseball example I'm envisioning someone taking the bat and hitting someone like the helmet used. In the article you linked there are a few examples of that and a few examples of grey area ones IMO.

To be fair, he swung and hit the guy with the helmet, he didn’t “beat him with it” as you are saying “imagine a hockey player beating up a player with a hockey stick”.

I think the player should have been suspended as he was, but I think the one who started the whole mess should also have been suspended severely. A player shouldn’t get to get a brawl started and then sit back and not face any consequences simply because he ended up on the losing end of the brawl. It isn’t like he was trying to get the guy’s helmet off to pat him on the head.

Who ever said anything about it being justified? I haven't seen a single post or heard a single bit of news coverage saying it was justified. It clearly wasn't, no matter how you slice it. It was cowardly, ugly, and pathetic. I simply don't think criminal charges are warranted and history would say that it won't be. This isn't the first time something like this has happened, nor will it be the last. Nor is it unique to football. The NFL has some unsavory characters, but given how many players there are, the % is rather small. Unfortunately, they're the ones who get the attention and not the ones who actually do a lot of good with their platform.

Keep in mind this one act of utter stupidity is going to cost him literally more than $1,000,000. Nothing to sneeze at and one heck of a lot more of a price that a non-pro athlete would pay for the same act. He deserves the fine and then some, but IMO it's definitely not a slap on the wrist.

Your whole pp was an attempt to justify why criminal charges shouldn't be brought against a man who assaulted another man.
You obviously don't feel what he did warrants something illegal and I do. Let's just leave it at that.

To be fair he swung TO hit the guy. Play semantics all you want, it was the purposeful use of a weapon to injure someone.

Oh I realize that but he hit him with it but he didn’t “beat him” with it. Those are two different statements.

I just think all involved should be facing serious suspensions. There is no excuse for ANY of them not being able to control their tempers when playing the game. All the rest of the NFL is able to do it.

Meh, at the end of the day everyone can express all kinds of moral outrage, and have. In a very violent professional sport, these types of things do happen from time to time. They aren't right, aren't justified, aren't excusable and should have stern consequences. However, I simply don't see it as a criminal matter. If it were then Rudolph and Pouncey should be charged too. This is a matter for the NFL and the teams to handle IMO, and they have.

To be fair, he swung and hit the guy with the helmet, he didn’t “beat him with it” as you are saying “imagine a hockey player beating up a player with a hockey stick”.

I think the player should have been suspended as he was, but I think the one who started the whole mess should also have been suspended severely. A player shouldn’t get to get a brawl started and then sit back and not face any consequences simply because he ended up on the losing end of the brawl. It isn’t like he was trying to get the guy’s helmet off to pat him on the head.
I mean if we want to get technical about who started... really it wasa late and very aggressive hit, and yes the quarterback seemed pissed and was grabbing the other guy on the ground just as that guy was continuing to wrestle the quarterback...even though he was already down and again the ball was nowhere near them.

Why wasn’t the Pittsburgh QB reprimanded, he started it?
Cause he really didn't start it...did you watch it? I know some posts on here want to act like the QB did something seriously wrong, but that wasn't the case. Really the guy hit him, the QB, kinda late and very aggressively, which continued to be very aggressive even once they were on the ground (it's not that uncommon for the tackler to try to get a few extra jabs in etc, nor is it uncommon for the person being tackled to try to stop them and get them off etc.) That's kinda how it all started...if you watch the play it'll be much clearer to understand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter