Food you can make in a hotel room?

Discussion in 'Disneyland Community Board' started by bethwc101, Feb 4, 2019.

1. bethwc101

bethwc101 DIS Veteran

We are staying at a hotel for a few days, but are trying to save money by not eating out a ton in the parks. What are some simple foods we can make in the hotel and either take to the park or stop by the hotel to eat.
    Edited to add. We will have to find where the closest microwaves in the hotel are and if they have any toaster ovens to see if it will be even worth it to bring some of these items.
    My ideas already
    fruit to cut up and bag,
    smuckers pre made pbj
    microwave breakfast sandwiches
    assorted cookies
    toaster strudles
    eggo waffles

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  2. DLgal

DLgal DIS Veteran

Don't bring a toaster to a hotel. It's a major fire hazard and is usually something the hotel will not allow.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. maxiesmom

maxiesmom The Mean Squinty Eye Works

Nor will they allow a microwave. Some resorts have a few on hand to give out. Best to ask.

DLgal likes this.
  5. kbender295

kbender295 Earning My Ears

Maybe it was our fridge but when we stayed at the WL a few years ago, the freezer portion really didn't work. We only had a fridge. It was great for milk for cereal, half and half, and yogurt. It was August so I thought I'd bring freezer pops but they never froze.

6. bethwc101

bethwc101 DIS Veteran

Hmm.. I will have to call and verify. When we booked the hotel we asked and the CM didn't say it would be a problem. Just to make sure we unplug it when we leave for the day. And the DisneyParksMoms even talk about doing it.

7. maxiesmom

maxiesmom The Mean Squinty Eye Works

Yeah....the Disney Parks Moms are not the best source for facts. They are not even monitored by Disney for accuracy. They have been known to post stuff that is very wrong.

8. DLgal

DLgal DIS Veteran

The reservations CMs have no idea what they are talking about. Don't trust that particular piece of information.

I do know that SOME Disney resorts will give you a microwave for your room, if they have one available. But a toaster is a definite hotel no-no, pretty much across the board in the hotel industry. Anything with an exposed heating element is not permitted in hotel rooms, per fire marshals, unless there is a designated kitchen area, like in a DVC unit.

However, I think all the Disney hotels have toasters and microwaves for public use at their quick service locations.

9. MilitaryMouse

MilitaryMouse Mouseketeer

We bring ramen bowls/cup of noodle! Just use the coffee maker to heat up some water. It'd probably work with any of those "just add water" items - mac & cheese, cous cous, pad thai, etc

10. theluckyrabbit

theluckyrabbit Moderator Moderator

One caution about cooking in hotel rooms: unless the room has a kitchen area or a space clearly designated for food preparation, any smells from cooking food can really travel to the neighboring rooms on your floor. Things made with hot water should be fine, but anything spicy, strong smelling, heated in a microwave (if allowed) will have suprising staying power and can travel easily through thin hotel walls and under connecting doors. Just bringing this up because my sister had a horrible episode of morning sickness brought on by her hotel neighbors who decided to cook spicy food in their room. This was a regular hotel, not a suite hotel with kitchenettes. Her room smelled all day, the whole floor smelled all day, even with her balcony door open. Management finally moved her to a different floor. The foods listed by the OP sound fine.
    If the OP is staying at the GCH, I think other posters have said they've used the microwave at WWS to heat their own food.

11. bethwc101

bethwc101 DIS Veteran

I called and spoke with another CM about microwaves. The only info they could provide was there was one provided on every floor of the hotel for guests to use. So microwave foods are going to be an option. Hopefully we aren't too far down the hallway from it.

12. jbh275

jbh275 Love VGC

Our go to is tuna fish sandwiches. Kids love them and you can pick up mayo and relish if you decide to bring them into the park with you.