Food stuck in wisdom teeth holes

Callie

Always Dreaming of Disney Magic
I had my wisdom teeth removed about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and well I have some pretty big holes in my mouth. Well I keep getting food stuck back in there, and tonight, the steak just won't come out. I've brushed, I've tried the salt water rinse over and over, and even tried washing it out by using a turkey baster with warm saltwater. It just won't budge! Any suggestions? :rolleyes1

I had my wisdom teeth removed about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and well I have some pretty big holes in my mouth. Well I keep getting food stuck back in there, and tonight, the steak just won't come out. I've brushed, I've tried the salt water rinse over and over, and even tried washing it out by using a turkey baster with warm saltwater. It just won't budge! Any suggestions? :rolleyes1

Get a floss pick and try to pick it out..

Get a floss pick and try to pick it out..

I've read that might not be safe? I had stitches that recently came out, and I'm afraid if I poke around it might undo the healing, or it could break off and get stuck?

Call your oral surgeon's office. Were you really cleared to eat steak this soon?

Yes. I was allowed to eat a normal diet less than a week after surgery. I'm fine besides stuff getting "stuck".

Did they give you a little syringe thingy to rinse the hole with? If not, you could probably get one from most pharmacies- they are used to give kids liquid medicine. I suppose you could try a turkey baster, too. HTH!

No, I didn't. I Might have to go get one. The Turkey baster didn't really work, as it didn't have enough "force" and was too big to really get back there good.

I second the syringe. Go to your pharmacy and ask for an oral syringe. The smaller opening with give the water more power to get the junk out of the holes. Or, your oral surgeon should have a curved oral syringe-even better.

I'm quite surprised that the oral surgeon didn't give you an oral syringe. I thought that was pretty standard. Definitely try to get one....it will make a world of difference.

My oral surgeon told me to use one of those thingies you use to get boogers out of a baby's nose. He emphasized that I should buy one just for this purpose ;)

It took me a long time to eat after I had my wisdom teeth out, so I can't really remember what I could and couldn't do. But if you're allowed to eat steak, can you chew gum? You might be able to work it out that way.

I can safely say that if I had food stuck in my teeth and had to wait until I could go to the store to get a syringe I might go out of my mind! I HATE having food stuck in my teeth.

It took me a long time to eat after I had my wisdom teeth out, so I can't really remember what I could and couldn't do. But if you're allowed to eat steak, can you chew gum? You might be able to work it out that way.

I can safely say that if I had food stuck in my teeth and had to wait until I could go to the store to get a syringe I might go out of my mind! I HATE having food stuck in my teeth.
I'm going nuts! But now that I think about it, I might have one of those nose washing out things to try. I just spent about 15 minutes again with the turkey blaster, and got some out. Now I can't tell if the dark looking stuff is food, or just the deep holes?

I thought it was SOP to be given one of those curved little oral syringes? I would have been lost without it after my wisdom teeth came out! Call the dentist and sask for one or see if they carry them at your local drugstore.

Be aware though, if the meat has been in there for a while it will REEK like a dead animal when you flush it out. Be sure nto brush and rinse with LISTERINE.

Nope, I didn't get one...

I feel your pain, OP. That is one of those things that would seriously drive me mad. I carry dental floss in my purse.

Yeah, the meet has been stuck up there for about 3 hours now. The bit I got out and had to taste was horrible. ALl of last night trying to sleep bits of food were coming out. My holes seem really deep, but I'm thinking they should be since my teeth hadn't even comei n yet?

BLAH! YUCK!

I have a super aversion to holes. Blech! :crazy2:

I'll tell you what I did - and I am not a doctor nor a dentist nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I couldn't take the *stuff* that would get stuck in the holes, and I didn't get a syringe, either.

Sooooo - I filled up a water bottle. Like the ones you use on hair? 2 settings, stream and mist - I streamed, with warm, salt water.

I shot it in there, and all that YUCK ***ewwwww*** came popping out.

It was nasty, disgusting - but I felt better about having clean holes. :laughing::laughing:

Does your shower head have multiple settings? Ours has one that is one large hole that shoots out a pretty fast stream of water... you might try that....

My oral surgeon told me to use one of those thingies you use to get boogers out of a baby's nose. He emphasized that I should buy one just for this purpose ;)

It's called a bulb syringe. I think that would work since you'd be sucking the food out with air instead of trying to force it out with water. You can find them in the baby supply aisle at the drug store.

My kids oral surgeon gave them the curved tip syringe type thing at their post op checkup and told them to use it with salt water to clean the holes. Good luck! I even think I used one with mine over 25 yrs ago!

Good luck. My daughter got an infection in one hole, about 3 weeks after surgery, due to something tiny staying down in there. Surgeon cleaned it out real well and she had another round of antibiotics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter