Food on DCL vs food on other cruise lines

and dieting all year long. For someone who is counting 7 points for a McDonald's cheeseburg and bringing lunch to work, DCL is delicious! We never had a bad meal. No complaints. Everything seemed fresh. Portions were just right. Deserts were awesome. Can't wait to go. DH and I are counting our points to lose weight so we can gain lbs back!!!!!

Remember, if you don't like it - ask for something else - you're paying for it.

Kim ºOº

In my opinion, the food on DCL was not as good as that on the RCCL cruise I took last month. It wasn't bad, but nothing special. Having said that, I must admit I missed DCL's chicken fingers which the ship we were on last month didn't have.

I was quite concerned about the food on the Wonder before our first cruise last Feb. Some posts on this board made me think the food would be bad and I recall posting a similar question to this one before we sailed.

My husband and I thought the food was very good and we both really liked the buffets - the food was fresh and tasty. At home we eat lots of fruit and salads and we had no problem finding good, fresh items as well as other tasty things that we liked. My husband does not eat fish or shellfish and he found something to his liking in the dining rooms each night (as did I). We ate at Palo and it WAS wonderful! The advice to listen to your servers recommendations is good - they try to steer you to the best choices each night.

Everyone has different tastes and eating habits - on a message board like this it is so hard to know what others experiences have been - McDonalds vs. 5 star gourmet food? I think you need to decide for yourself and I definitely wouldn't let the food stop you from experiencing a Disney cruise! There is so much more to it than the food and the restaurants... we're cruising again in a couple weeks are are very excited about it!

I was really surprised at some of the postings about the food. I actually never ate at one buffet on our four day cruise but we were very happy with all the food we got. I am pretty picky about restaurants. I would never eat at Denny's and I am from Chicago where we have some of the best food in the country! We were so happy with the sit down places and the service that we ate there for breakfast and some lunches. We also ate at Plutos and got the chicken fingers. We are going on the June 1, 7 day cruise this time. I can't wait! I didn't know you could order more than one appetizer and I will this time. lol That was our first cruise. I know there weren't many choices but often I wanted two of them. I was very pleased with the food. Maybe because I like the exotic things. It was the best I ever had but I say about an 8 too. :wave:

I have only been on DCL, but I enjoyed their food. I enjoy fine dining locally (Philadelphia area), and the food on DCL was tasty, well prepared, served at appropriate temperature, and in reasonable sized portions. A couple of my favorite entrees were a (big) veal chop with polenta from Animator's, duck breast with parsnips and mashed potatoes from Triton's and the lamb at Palo's. I am an appetizer lover, and found a good variety and excellent preparations.

Our servers, Attilla and George, were both terrific, too.

I think most people would be pleased with their food on DCL.

Frankly if I dont' have to - shop for it...... prepare it..... cook it..... and clean up afterwards- then IT'S GOOD!:D

For the most part I liked the food..... I didn't like the shrimp cocktail appetizer (it tasted like they had marinated the shrimp in herbs or something) and I didn't care for the lamb..... but other than that I think I liked everything I ordered. Remember- if you don't like what you order..... order something else!

I found the food to be "OK" at best. It tasted like good mass-produced banquet food, but not like high quality restaraunt food. I had looked at the menus before boarding and thought there weren't that many choices, and when I was onboard I thought there were even less. It seemed that seafood stew/jumbalaya, salmon and shrimp were on every menu. And where were the side dishes? Total disappointment there. I've been on Carnival and RCCL and found their food to be far superior.

rloveman - I'm a bit relieved to see I wasn't the only one who received poor service. As a result, we absolutely will not recommend cruising DCL. Our waiter seemed very stressed and assistant waiter would disappear for long periods of time. Get my chair pulled out and napkin laid across my lap like other cruise lines - ha ha ha! We were lucky to get our water glasses refilled once throughout dinner. Entertain the kids while dining - ha ha ha! We often had to go get a high chair for DS as it wasn't always sitting at our table. I won't bore you with other details.

Only 2 cruises here--DCL and CCL, and I have to say the food was better on Carnival. Not saying Disney's food was bad, just that it wasn't as good as Carnival :)

We have been on 5 cruises (3 disney and 2 Princess). We felt the food and service was better on our last Disney cruise (October), than it was on our last Princess cruise (April). I was somewhat dissapointed with the food on Princess.
Just remember, we all have different likes and dislikes. Go on the cruise for the cruise experience. You will always find something to eat!

Having been on NCL, Disney and more recently Celebrity. Celebrity was tops in my book with Disney being last. It seemed like Disney was more concerned with the presentation of the food than actual food quality and quantity. It was like all show and no substance. Disney's snack bar by the pool was very good however. Considering Celebrity is in the premium category along with Disney, it is almost disturbing at the difference between the two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter