Food on Castaway Cay?

briane

Mouseketeer
I have heard that there is food on Castaway Cay? If so, what is it and does it cost money? If it does cost money, why would anyone pay for food when they can get free food on the boat? Is it convenient to go back and forth to the boat or is it quite a hike?

It's FREE! :) Cookies BBQ serves lunch on the island on the Family Beach, and it includes ribs, hot dogs, chicken sandwiches and sometimes other types of burgers such as veggie burgers or lobster burgers (those are actually good!). :) There is also corn, potato salad, cole slaw, fresh fruit and water and punch to drink.

The only thing that would cost is if you want to purchase a soda or an alcoholic beverage.

The adult beach has a smaller buffet but it is also excellent.

It is Barbeque, and no, it doesn't cost anything (If you don't count many hundreds of dollars that you spent to get there:))

You can also eat on the ship (I think the food is the same). Getting back to the ship is not a really short trip, but it's not so far that going back to get something would be out of the question.

If the food is very similar, why not go back to the ship to avoid lines and eat in air conditioning?

You certainly CAN go back to the ship if you want, but most people prefer to stay on the island to maximize the time they have there. Going back and forth to the ship takes time away from your day. There is a covered picnic area where you can eat and it's quite comfortable, even on the hottest days. And the lines move very quickly for the buffet, no big deal at all. :)

the ship was full, but there was really no line to wait in when we ate at Cookies.

Also, if you have a refillable soda mug, take it with you to CC. You can get your free refills there...

I agree with CamColt. The food at the bar-b-que on Casaway Cay is terrific. A great meal & lots of fun. Don't miss it.

On our last cruise we went back to the ship to eat, thinking that we would have the same food choices as Castaway Cay. We were a little surpised to see that only Parrot Cay was open for lunch, and their buffet was MOSTLY cold item (lunch meats and salads...) There was a specialty make-it-while you-watch pasta station, which was excellent, and there were also a zillion different desserts. All-in-all, it was pretty good.

But--be forewarned....if you're looking for that famous BBQ food on the ship while at CC, you won't find it!

Also--if you want some down-time, go to this buffet on the ship. The place was almost deserted so we practically had the whole wait staff to ourselves!

My mother-in-law is not much of a beach person. She preferred to stay on the ship during our cruise. The same menu that was offered at Cookie's was also offered at Parrot Cay. And she said Parrot Cay was surprisingly full.

So did they have something for vegetarians at Cookies BBQ? We have gone back on the ship both times we have cruised assuming there would be nothing for us to eat on the island. But next time we go, if there is something for vegetarians, we would love to stay out on the island longer!
DJ

Originally posted by Woods

So did they have something for vegetarians at Cookies BBQ?

Originally posted by Just Chip, No Dale

At the Castaway Cay B-B-Q they had really good homemade veggie burgers made with what tasted like potatoes and bell peppers. I ate two of them!!

One more note, you can take the refillable mug to Castaway Cay, however, NOT the refillable glass beer mug.

No glass is allowed on the island.

:) M*M:)

please tell me more about this beer mug. Can you walk on deck with it? I'm a first timer going in march and I need all the info I can get. thank you

Tigebt, the beer mug is a large, heavy glass mug that holds 22 ounces of beer or other beverage. The mug costs about $10. With it, you can get 22 ounces of draft beer for the price of a pint. Yes, you can carry it around the ship, but not on Castaway Cay. But like I said, it's big and heavy. Not something that you really want to carry around.

I found them very mushy for my taste and didn't care all that much for them...I love lobster though, but these weren't that great...

We are cruising for the first time on March 16th. When are you?

There is a stand set up between Cookies and the gazeebo where the dj plays music. They have fresh cut watermelon, strawberries, papaya, mango, pineapple, etc. It was delicious. The CM is standing there slicing and loading the trays as you serve yourself. I filled up on that before I ever got to Cookies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter