Flying with Vertigo

alyn

Earning My Ears
Sorry that this isn't exactly a Disney related thread. It is , however directly related to my trip to Disney.

I have had vertigo for over a year now caused by an viral inner ear infection. I am MUCH better than I was at the initial onset, however I am still prone to "spells". I haven't flown since my diagnosis and I am more than a little anxious that the air pressure will trigger another major episode.

I am wondering if anyone else with vertigo is out there and If so, have you had any issues with flying? Any preventative "tricks' to avoid an "episode" or "spell"?

Thanks!

Vertigo here too. Permanent.
I have not had problems with air pressure flying, but turning or bad turbulence is dizzying. However you handle it everyday (keeping eye on the horizon, dramamine, etc.) will likely apply on plane. If you can sleep through some, all the better. Good luck!

i have meniers disease. it started 20 years ago for me.
it's the veritgo due to the inner ear.
i have flare ups no more than once a year.
sometimes i have gone 2 years before the dizziness occurs.

mine started with an ear infection.

my ent prescribes antivert for it when the dizziness begins.
flying doesn't bother me with the ear.
the pressure is not bad as i chew gum on take offs and descending.

if the dizzy spell starts to come on, watch the way you move.

don't turn your head, but turn with your shoulders.
that has helped me so the dizziness doesn't escalate.

Bonine works well for me on a regular basis. However, you could ask about a scopalamine patch, which you wear behind your ear and it dispenses a regular dose of med consistently to help manage the dizziness. I need to do this during surgery as lying on my back is one of the best ways to trigger my vertigo... and I ALWAYS get sick coming out of anaesthesia:sick:.

Thanks for your feedback. I am feeling a little more hopeful now that I will be okay too (and won't ruin everyone's vacation).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!