flying with medications

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by firemanx, Sep 7, 2018.

1. firemanx

firemanx DIS Veteran

Have a couple pills that I feel better carrying in my carry on so they don't get lost seizure& BP. Now my question is I put my pills in a daily pill divider do I need to carry the bottles also or screeners recognize medicines? suggestion?

2. lanejudy

lanejudy Moderator Moderator

In my experience, TSA is not interested in passengers' medications. We regularly travel with daily pill-minder containers and have never encountered any issues. I believe technically the state of Florida does require medications to be carried in the properly labeled contained as dispensed. But I honestly only do that for controlled substances. An we always carry meds in carry-ons.

Enjoy your vacation!

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. redberyl

redberyl Mouseketeer

I would keep them in their original bottles. They always swab all of our stuff (we travel with a lot of formula, meds and medical equipment so we always get extra screening) and one of the medication bottles always test positive for a chemical that apparently is similar to some sort of bomb making residue. every time this happens they question me on what the med is and what it is used for, and usually a supervisor gets called back to check it out. the supevisor always reads the label very carefully. So I would definitely have them in the original bottles

marcyleecorgan likes this.
  5. Shanti

Shanti Momketeer

I've flown to and from Florida many times, always with assorted prescription medications in pill sorters in carryon luggage. No original bottles & no prescriptions with me. Never had an issue.

Hopefully likes this.
  6. Allison Joy

Allison Joy Mouseketeer

What has been said here is also what I have experienced. I honestly thought TSA required original bottles and it was just never enforces, but TSA does NOT require the original bottles. It does state that individual states have requirements about labeling prescription drugs. So TSA isn't going to worry about it. I think the previous poster's experience is a unique one. I've also never had issues with pills in pill cases.

7. Lilsia

Lilsia DIS Veteran

ALWAYS carry all of your medications in your carry on bag. Do not ever check any kind of medication. Not only would that be a hassle if they lost your bags, but theft is an issue too. You will not have any problems with TSA and your medication.

8. RaySharpton

RaySharpton Retired and going to Disney.

Hi, firemanz. I always used to wonder the same thing. When traveling to Florida I started putting all of my prescription and non-prescription medications in a ziplock bag and in their original bottles and always in my carry-on backpack. I have too many items missing in my checked luggage when flying. So I put everything of value in my backpack and carry it onboard the airline.

Later, I ditched the prescription bottles and bought a daily pill box that could hold all of my all of my daily prescription medication in a daily box. It had actually 31-little boxes labeled days 1-31 and had a pop-in case for each little box. It took up a lot less room. As previous posters have mentioned I have not had a problem with TSA and traveling on Delta. But I would never put any prescription narcotics in anything except for the pharmacy bottle that it came in for many reasons.

I don't travel out of the USA, but if I did, I think that I would probably keep them in the original pharmacy bottle because I don't know what a foreign country or TSA might do. I have no experience with this, but it is just my opinion.

Lilsia and Hopefully like this.
  9. EveDallas

EveDallas Always keep fighting

This hasn't been my experience. They swab my son's insulin every single time. I would take the bottles and not risk it.

ETA: Maybe insulin is different because it's liquid?

10. Chickenlady

Chickenlady Mouseketeer

I travel several times a year and have for a long time and no one has ever swabbed my insulin!

11. ttintagel

ttintagel DIS Veteran

I've never had any of my medications swabbed, but the agent generally does look closely through the ziplock bags at the labels. So, I do and will continue to bring things in the original packaging with prescription labels. It's not that hard to fill the daily pill reminder when I get to the hotel . I do it this way for the same reason I keep all my medical supplies in my carry-on Intead of my checked bag: even if the chance is one in a million that something will go wrong, the results would be disastrous if I had the bad luck of being than millionth person. In my own risk/benefit analysis, since it's easy to be safe there's no reason to take even a small risk of being sorry.

Starwind and mamabunny like this.
  12. Lilsia

Lilsia DIS Veteran

This is so true. And a person does not need to take a full bottle. I would bring what I needed plus maybe a couple extra in the original bottle and leave the rest at home.

mamabunny likes this.