Flying with a 10 1/2 month old

dlrhine

<font color=teal>DIS Veteran who was away for a wh
I was just wonder what was the youngest baby anyone has flown with and how did it go. I'm a little nervous we are taking our 10 1/2 month old to Disney with our in-laws who have never been there and I'm worried how my dd will take the flight. I'm afraid her ears will bother her and she'll get bored. I am getting her her own seat and also taking new toys but, any other suggestions will be appreciated. I also decided to stay on Disney Property. We own a timeshare right off property but for my in-laws first trip I wanted them to have the magic and also I thought it would be easier to get the stroller around and back for naps on property. I am hoping that she will sleep in her stroller, I to have the Greco lite kite and love it. And support will be helpful.
Thanks,
Diane

For your "ear concerns": There is a product called EarPlanes...most drugstores sell them; Walmart definitely does. Basically, it's a little plastic plug that you put into your ear (it comes in child and adult sizes). It is a miracle.

I have suffered from terrible ear pain all my life on planes..to the point where I have cried. Unfortunately, my daughter takes after me and it was awful to see her in such pain. We used EarPlanes for the first time 2 years ago (when she was 2) and it was wonderful. Not one iota of pain...nothing! It does muffle your hearing a bit while they are in, but that is the only "problem".

I will never go without them again.

You can also ask your pediatrician about using an infant decongestant before your flight. That helps too.

About being bored: is she a good car baby? If so, you probably won't have a problem. My kids were usually so wide-eyed about the different surroundings, they were okay. You sound like you are on the right track with bringing some toys. Also, if she has a blanket or favorite snuggly toy, bring that as well in case she is a little nervous about the plane.

That's great that you'll be able to take the bus back for naps for your daughter...good idea!

Have a great trip!!

Pentex gave good advice. The earplanes are good, but be prepared that she may try to take them out. We went once when my oldest was 11 months and the pediatrician suggested tylenol or even some benadryl. Check with your doctor though. You've probably already booked your flight but we always try to fly at naptime. Every flight my kids have fallen asleep,even my five year old. But you're doing the right thing with some new toys, stickers are fun, help her put them in a sticker book, maybe coloring if she doesn't put the crayons in her mouth. We have always found to expect the worst, and then you are always pleasantly suprised. We've gone several times over the years and have never had a problem with the kids (except when my 3-year old refused to go potty in the airplane bathroom and kept threatening to pee in the seat...but that's another topic for another day). Have fun!:wave:

The act of swallowing is what clears the ears. Make sure you have a bottle of something ready for her to drink from during takeoff and landing. That will almost certainly prevent ear pain as long as her ears are not already inflamed. If she has any kind of sniffles, be sure to give her a dose of decongestant 30 minutes before boarding. Earplanes do work nicely, but I would not bank on an infant tolerating them. (If you are nursing, you can theoretically nurse during takeoff and landing, but I never felt safe doing that; I just gave him water at those times.)

BTW, carrying bottled water is also a good idea for grownups, for just the same reason.

My 2.5 year old daughter has been on many flights (her first was a 3 month) and made her first trip to WDW at the age of 8.5months. We flew from Sydney, Aust to LA, then on to Orlando. I found it best to either breastfeed her, get her to drink some water or her pacifier during take off and landing. Depending on your flight time and you think they'll only feed during either takeoff or landing, remember that ears tend to play up more during landing. We also tried to plan our flights to be around a naptime so hopefully she would sleep for some, or all of the flight.
If you are hoping your daugther will sleep in her stroller make sure you get her used to doing so before your trip. We travel a lot so from the moment my daughter was born we made sure to take her out and about with us and she always slept well wherever she was - at home, in the car or in her stroller. I'll be taking my next baby who will be 4.5 months to WDW with us next Feb so he/she will be getting the same treatment. If I can answer any other questions for you just let me know.

Libby

A friend of mine just took her 8 month old twins to Arizona and got them to keep the EarPlanes in, so I still say this is worth the try. Try and tell your daughter that these are special things that will help keep boo-boos away before you put them in. If your doctor allows Benadryl, I definitely agree with Melk on this....is will help her rest and she won't even notice the EarPlanes.

As far as the bottle and swallowing theory, that's what I tried with my kids when they were babies and unfortunately, it didn't work. Once they felt those first tinges of pain, they refused to suck and were crying. If you are unfortunate enough to have the type of ear structure that is subject to more pain, swallowing does nothing. Believe me, I'm 37 and still have the most awful pain even when swallowing, chewing gum, etc. The only thing that ever helped me was the EarPlanes. They are a miracle to me!

The first time my DS flew, he was 10 months. He is a good car baby, and he ended up being a good plane baby. He had no ear problems (but then again, he never had problems with his ears of any kind, i.e., no ear infections). However, we don't know if it was the change in air pressure or what, but this kid dropped a load in his pants that was not to be believed! Both ways! Neither plane had a changing table (and I certainly couldn't change him on the seat), so I ended up putting the changing pad on the floor of the bathroom (yuck) with my butt hanging out the door. It was so bad, the flight attendents were giving me trash bags.

Actually, besides the diaper incidents, he was a better traveller at 10 months than on subsequent trips.

You may want to nurse your child on the way up and down this will relieve the pressure
on the ears. Also, Sudafed is the thing to use, this is what professional piolits use. You can
get a childrens sudafed and give it to your 10 month old if they are at least 20lbs.,
you give 1 tsp. Also, I would buy a couple of new toys, and wait to give them to your baby until your on the plane this will help distract them. Lastly, take direct flights!:jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter