Flying to Europe for Med. Cruise

Also need to add that Delta code shares with Air France; even though our outbound was a Delta #, we flew on Air France.

We usually use United miles on Star Aliance carriers. Our past two years most of our flights have been on Lufthansa. We've always have been fortunate to get great connections usually through Frankfurt or Munich. For next summer we are flying a mix of United and SAS for DH and DD 16 to Copenhagen Me and my youngest two DDs are sailing the Magic to Europe and flying SAS from Barcelona to Copenhagen. All 5 of us will fly home from Copenhagen to Chicago on Lufthansa unless I get lucky and they open up award tickets for the non stop SAS/United code share to Chicago.

Right now I'm trying to book award tickets to Copenhagen in mid-June. I could book one-ways at the lowest mileage level, but they all involve multiple BA flights and high taxes. I will try to be patient and wait for American to release more award seats on AA flights from Chicago to London (whether non-stop from Chicago or connecting in the US to another AA flight) - then BA from London to Copenhagen. On the other hand, we could fly from Champaign to Chicago to Helsinki (all on American Airlines) for $10 total - then buy Helsinki to Copenhagen tickets on SAS for only a few dollars more than the taxes would be from Champaign to Chicago to London to Copenhagen! Then there are the return flights - oy!

To the OP, we flew Air Berlin in June and loved them. Planes were clean, comfortable, great service, on time, no lost bags. They were just as good as Lufthansa.

Regarding Turkish Air, the crew on our cruise ship this summer (not DCL, but NCL) all flew Turkish Air because they loved the airline vs. any other carrier.

In general, we prefer overseas carriers to U.S. carriers, as others have stated.

When I did the Med in 2010, I flew Iberia airlines (Spanish airline). I really liked them a lot, and the plane & seats were pretty comfortable. . .
We've had excellent service on Iberia.

Woody

When I fly to the US, I shop flights 11 months out. The rates then are the cheapest I have found, but I refuse to look at last minute prices. (I don't want to eat my heart out!)

Swiss.com is a fabulous airline, I have found them to have very competitive rates and they have never lost my luggage, unlike Iberia, Delta and American Airlines. The seats are comfortable and they have seatback entertainment.

Thanks for everyones input! I always thought the american run airlines would be preferential but it looks like for about everyone it's better to use the international ones!

AA often has the cheapest rates...(at least it did last summer)...

check on kayak.com to find the cheapest rate..

often cheaper to book a round trip ticket and then only use one way of the ticket..

all airlines suck - go for the cheapest rate..

AA often has the cheapest rates...(at least it did last summer). . .
That was before AA filed for bankruptcy in November 2011.

I would be careful about booking with AA. We were booked with AA for after a cruise, and they canceled the flight!

Woody

Love Continental and U.S. Airways. We flew Aer Lingus in 2007 -- JFK to Barcelona with a plane change in Dublin. We loved our flight from US to Dublin. The flight from Dublin to Barcelona........not so much. The crew were very curt and were only interested in selling souvenirs. For a 2+ hour flight they didn't offer any beverages at all, not even water! But I would still fly them again as the longest leg of the journey we were very well taken care of -- lots of food, drinks, snacks and screens in the back of the seats for movies, etc.

One word: SWISS.

They are run by Lufthansa and therefore the service and stopwatch efficiency are the same (you will get where you are going on time). If you book far enough out, their fares are very competitive. Their Airbus A330s are arguably one of the more comfortable long haul aircraft if you are stuck in coach.

We are flying Delta to Barcelona next June, but basically it is to use FF miles for 2 tickets. We are arriving 2 days early to get adjusted to the time, but also to allow time for our luggage to catch up with us in case it gets lost. I do not want to start out my vacation stressed.

One word: SWISS.

They are run by Lufthansa and therefore the service and stopwatch efficiency are the same (you will get where you are going on time). If you book far enough out, their fares are very competitive. Their Airbus A330s are arguably one of the more comfortable long haul aircraft if you are stuck in coach.

I agree with this! I used to work for an airline and I am specifically looking for an A330 for the long haul flight. So even if I have to pay a little more to get that plane I will! If I'm on an 8 hour flight I want to be comfy and choose my entertainment. :)

I prefer Swiss Air and Lufthansa for international flights. Swiss Air often has very good rates to Barcelona from the east coast.
I agree with the trend that you are seeing that most of the time the European carriers do a nicer job with trans Atlantic flights.

For those who had layovers in Paris, how often do you lose/miss your luggage?
My husband travels about 40 weeks per year for work and flies a lot. Our house rule for vacations now is that it has to be more than 25% cheaper than any other option before we will even consider flying through Paris. We tend to be super budget conscious and travel on the cheap--so that should tell you something:lmao:

:rotfl2: Now that I think about it, nearly each time my luggage was lost (delayed, never totally lost thank goodness) it was through Paris CDG... :confused3

Couple friends and I are planning to go on the Med. cruise out of Europe and we've set up the cruise part just need to find the best way to get there as cheap as possible. Two questions:
When is the best time to book flights to Europe?

What airlines to avoid? I saw some cheap airlines like Air Berlin and Turkish Air that give great deals I just want to make sure we get there.

Thanks,
Cameron

I just booked my flight on Delta for the DCL Med Cruise next June. Prices had already gone up about $100 from last week, so I wouldn't wait too long to book. I always come in at least a day early when I cruise to minimize any issues with flight delays. I usually book about 11 months out because I only want one layover. The longer you wait to book, the less choice you will have about your itinerary and you will still pay the same price. Once I book my flight, I always go in monthly to make sure that the price doesn't go down for my itinerary. Unfortunately, it never has.

:rotfl2: Now that I think about it, nearly each time my luggage was lost (delayed, never totally lost thank goodness) it was through Paris CDG... :confused3
I flew out of Paris CDG airport last Fall, and it was one of the WORST airport experiences I have ever had! Lines that never moved, security folks who had no clue, etc. I got to CDG over 3 hours prior to my flight and came within 5 minutes of missing the flight!

Sayhello

I agree with this! I used to work for an airline and I am specifically looking for an A330 for the long haul flight. So even if I have to pay a little more to get that plane I will! If I'm on an 8 hour flight I want to be comfy and choose my entertainment. :)

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

The other nice thing is the SWISS cabin crews are friendlier and less uptight than their Lufthansa counterparts. That neutral nation legacy I guess!

800px-Swiss_stewardess.jpg

So is it safe to say that most folks don't book airfare through DCL? Is it for financial reason or the flexibility of picking it yourself, or something else?

Thanks in advance :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter