Flying out of Logan in 8days. First time flying since 09/11

Tiffany

DIS Veteran
Hi,

We will be fyling for the first time since 09/11 in about 8days. The last time we flew was our return flight from WDW on 09/10/01. That date is correct. We were at WDW from 09/01/01 through 09/10/01.

So we fly out of Logan in 8days on a 9am Delta Express flight.

Has anyone flown out of Logan lately? If so how was checkin and security? I have read about the self checkin kiosos(sp?). Has anyone used those yet?

Any information will be appricated. I am not a "good" flyer to begin with.

I've flown twice since 9/11 out of Logan. The first time, it was definitely different than before 9/11 and my husband got frisked twice; he went to get a drink with my 2 year old DD and they wanted to frisk her too!! But they didn't. We also showed our ID's twice. Lots of soldiers.

The second time this past April wasn't half as bad. They still had some soldiers but no frisking.

Both times we got there almost 2 hours early but didn't really need to be that early. We had plently of time left over.

We haven't tried the kiosks yet as our last trip was with AA to Paris and you can't use them for International flights.

But they did have the curbside check in again and that was good.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply and the info beattyfamily.

Anyone else fly out of Logan recently?

We flew out of Logan in Feb. We were there 2 hours early, and had plenty of time left over. It was also the Friday morning before Feb. vacation, so I expected crazy crowds, but it was pretty quiet. We were able to use the curbside check in. They have to match tickets to bags, so we all had to wait in line. There were soldiers standing right before the metal detectors with very large weapons. I would warn any small children you have ahead of time, these guys could be a little intimidating. The soldiers were very friendly though, checked ID's and tickets, then we went through the metal detectors. My husband and I both set off the detectors, my barette and his belt buckle. We were then pulled aside and given the wand. No big deal, but our 3 year old started to wander off and they didn't want us to leave to go grab him until they finished with us. I was also pulled out of line in Charlotte and searched...my FIL got a kick oot of me the 7mo. pregnant person with the diaper bag getting searched.:rolleyes: All in all, there was not a problem at Logan. We also flew into DC on that flight, that was fine too, except you can't leave your seat for 30 min before landing and after take off. Not great if you have little ones who have to go potty.......

By the way, our Anniversary is August 17th. We will be arriving that day where by husband is promptly dropping the kids and me at the hotel and heading over the the ESPN club to watch his beloved patriots play their first game in the new stadium. Oh, but he will make it up to me.....yes he will!!!:D ;)
Good luck with the flying and try not to worry.

I actually just returned from WDW today using Delta Express from Logan. When I departed Logan on July 19, the airport was actually pretty quiet (I was on a 12:40PM flight). Using the e-ticket kiosk, I was all checked in within 10 minutes. Security only took 5 minutes after that. The lines did seem longer when I returned to Logan this morning, but nowheres near the lines that existed earlier in the year.

If you have e-tickets, the kiosk is a huge time saver, you just walk up, swipe your credit card, answer the questions, tell them how many bags you are checking, and the kiosk prints out your boarding pass. Then you take the bags to the dedicated Delta counter next to the kiosk (no lines) to have them put the tags on and take the bags. The kiosk is one stop shopping, no curbside checkin needed (although it is available), and no rechecking in at the gate (which you would have to do if you use curbside).

If you are flying at 9AM, I think the airport will be a little bit busier, but should not be unreasonable. I last flew in December and noticed a significant improvement in the speed of security. The National Guardsmen with the big guns are no longer at the airport although you will still see State Police around. Security has now been taken over by the Federal employees, so I think they are a little more thorough, but not to the point of inconvenience, as the staffing levels also seem to have grown. Random gate searches are still being conducted, but I didn't get picked this time (which is unusual considering that I travel alone which often flags me for the search).

Here are some tips I can give you, allow some time for the Boston traffic, even early in the morning. Read the directional signs carefully at the airport, there is a lot of construction going on outside Terminal C (where all Delta flights now originate) and some traffic has been rerouted (but changes are marked well). Be prepared to show your ID three times (once at baggage check in, once at security, and once upon boarding the plane). Keeping the ID's out with your tickets will help speed up the process. Use the kiosks if you can, as ticket counter lines continue to be long, especially in the morning. One final note, depending on the gate your flight leaves from, food options beyond security are extremely limited, so you might want to keep that in mind (there is a Burger King in the concourse).

Thanks for the info Jacksmom99 no kids here so we will not have to worry about big guns but thanks for the heads up anyway.

ballgame thanks for the info. We have etickets and are Delta Skymile members so I think we are going to try the kiosk unless curbside checkin happens to be empty, which I doubt. When you say swipe your credit card does it have to be the one you used to pay for the tickets? Do I swipe my credit card or my Sky Miles card? As far as food goes I always pack saltines and sprite in my carryon and my husband packs nutri-grain bars so I think we will be okay but thanks for the heads up. Thanks again for the very current info.

You can swipe either the credit card you used to purchase the tickets or your SkyMiles card (although my SkyMiles card has never worked). You can also key enter your SkyMiles number and PIN.

You can use the kiosk to check your baggage as well, so I would see no need to use curbside checkin (my personal opinion). If you use curbside checkin, they are unable to give you a boarding pass, so you will need to remember to print out your itinerary (including the ticket number) to show to security or go inside to the kiosk or Delta Counter anyway to get your boarding pass. If you have your itinerary, you would still need to get your boarding pass at the gate. The kiosk is one stop shopping and you avoid standing in a second line to get your boarding pass

Well I have a Logan warning.

I flew Delta out of Logan Sunday night July 28. I have NEVER seen such a long line at security. It streched all the way across the terminal and way down a long hall that I think leads to the next terminal.

I did swipe a credit card and use the Kiosk and then since I am a Delta Gold member I got to use a shorter line for the security check. I had no luggage to check and this all still took around 45 minutes.
If I had had to stand in the long line, I feel certain I would have needed a good hour and a half at the least.

Originally posted by ballgame
You can swipe either the credit card you used to purchase the tickets or your SkyMiles card (although my SkyMiles card has never worked). You can also key enter your SkyMiles number and PIN.

You can use the kiosk to check your baggage as well, so I would see no need to use curbside checkin (my personal opinion). If you use curbside checkin, they are unable to give you a boarding pass, so you will need to remember to print out your itinerary (including the ticket number) to show to security or go inside to the kiosk or Delta Counter anyway to get your boarding pass. If you have your itinerary, you would still need to get your boarding pass at the gate. The kiosk is one stop shopping and you avoid standing in a second line to get your boarding pass

ballgame,

Thanks for the updated info on curbside. The last time we flew curbside checked the bags and gave boarding passes. It looks like we are going to go with the kiosk.

Are they pretty easy to spot inside terminal "c"?

Originally posted by CarolA
Well I have a Logan warning.

I flew Delta out of Logan Sunday night July 28. I have NEVER seen such a long line at security. It streched all the way across the terminal and way down a long hall that I think leads to the next terminal.

I did swipe a credit card and use the Kiosk and then since I am a Delta Gold member I got to use a shorter line for the security check. I had no luggage to check and this all still took around 45 minutes.
If I had had to stand in the long line, I feel certain I would have needed a good hour and a half at the least.

Thanks for the info CarolA. We plan on being at Logan between 7am and 7:15am next Monday morning for our 9am flight.

I flew Delta from Logan to Atlanta on June 23. Both the curbside and regular checkin lines were very long, so I tried the kiosk. It was GREAT! Swipe the card, answer the questions, hand over the bags (there is an ID check at that time) and on your way! Took 10 minutes versus at least 45 in the regular line. :D
The kiosks are to the right of the regular checkin line.l

Originally posted by LindaG4458
I flew Delta from Logan to Atlanta on June 23. Both the curbside and regular checkin lines were very long, so I tried the kiosk. It was GREAT! Swipe the card, answer the questions, hand over the bags (there is an ID check at that time) and on your way! Took 10 minutes versus at least 45 in the regular line. :D
The kiosks are to the right of the regular checkin line.l

Thanks Lindag4458,

We are defintly going to try the kiosks. Less then a week to go:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter