Flying Fish Just OK

Alabama Minnie

DIS Veteran
Was excited to try Flying Fish for the first time this trip but I have to say we were both kinda let down :(.

We got the combo appy, with the mussels and clams, and neither of us thought it was anything special. We both thought the entree menu was also limited so we chose two opposite things to try. DH got the octopus dish since he had never tried it and we both thought it was just kinda "chewy". I got the filet and it was great, with a great sauce and some different root veggies. It was really good but I will have to say that I still like the filet at LeCellier best of what I have eaten at WDW.
We looked over the dessert menu but passed on it because nothing really appealed to us.

The best thing I can really say about our Flying Fish experience was that we saved 10% with our Disney Visa and had rewards to cover most of our $130 bill.
Probably will not return here on our future Boardwalk stays.

Was excited to try Flying Fish for the first time this trip but I have to say we were both kinda let down :(.

We got the combo appy, with the mussels and clams, and neither of us thought it was anything special. We both thought the entree menu was also limited so we chose two opposite things to try. DH got the octopus dish since he had never tried it and we both thought it was just kinda "chewy". I got the filet and it was great, with a great sauce and some different root veggies. It was really good but I will have to say that I still like the filet at LeCellier best of what I have eaten at WDW.
We looked over the dessert menu but passed on it because nothing really appealed to us.

The best thing I can really say about our Flying Fish experience was that we saved 10% with our Disney Visa and had rewards to cover most of our $130 bill.
Probably will not return here on our future Boardwalk stays.

At the risk of getting shot down I'm with you. Oh how I miss the snapper!

Glad to see we aren't the only ones who felt this way. I had always read such great things about it. Guess we will try Cape May next first night at Boardwalk.

I'm waffling on this ADR since the remodel. It just seems overproced for the reviews that have come in. Anyone else with some input?

Thanks for the review, it's good to see different opinions. We never ate there in it's previous incarnation but will most likely give it a try next time we are there. We like getting semi-dressed up, we always stay at the Epcot resorts so it's an easy walk and my son loves seafood. I'm not a fan of seafood but it looks like there are a few things on the menu I could get. I always think you should try everything you can at least once, that way you can decide for yourself and move on. Just for the record, we stay at the YC most of the time I wouldn't eat at Cape May if you paid me to, but that's what so great about Disney, loads of choices.

We have been die-hard Flying Fish Cafe lovers for over 11 years. The chef's tasting dinner we did in 2015 was the pinnacle of perfection. We couldn't wait for it to reopen for our September trip. We were excited by the menu and the elegant new interior; but I literally gasped when I saw the prices for what others were posting entree photos of. The portions looked very small. My husband and I decided ahead of time to try several appetizers instead of entrees so we could experience more of a sampling of items and flavors. We should have stuck with this gut inclination.

Once there, though, we changed our minds and thought a Riesling with an appetizer and entree each would be nice. After ordering the wine suggested on the menu, the waiter returned later to tell us they were out. Very disappointing. I ordered the Tour of the Coast appetizer and it was very good so I began to feel less irritable about the wine situation. Both my husband and I ordered the seared scallops over antebellum grits. I don't think we have met a scallop or grit we didn't love; but this entree was incredibly, sickeningly rich and the grits were very course with a strong raw corn flavor, and, well, gritty. I've lived in the south all my life and that is not what I would characterize as southern, "antebellum", or traditional. That said, I like trying different interpretations of traditional foods, and if this had been an appetizer, it would have worked as a delicious concentrated flavor tasting; but as an entree, each bite became more and more overwhelming. We forced ourselves to eat 3 scallops because we were paying so much for it; but we both had to push back the 4th.

Now, I cannot give up on my love for Flying Fish just yet, so we are still looking to go back next year. Our table sat close to the bar this time and I kept looking longingly at the people having a really great interaction with the bartender that night. I think we would enjoy that experience better as it's more intimate and suitable for sharing small plates at a pace we can more easily control. I also REALLY want to try the Chef's Table if/when they get that rolling in the future.

Sorry to hear that, Flying fish has always been one of our favorite wdw restaurants.

My friends and I ate at the Flyin Fish a little over a week ago. We all had an excellent dinner. I think each of us ordered a different flight of wine for dinner. Two of us had the Maine Lobster Nero Pasta and we really enjoyed it. My other friends went more the route of the bison and filet. I also had the Pana Carpa for dessert. It was not very sweet, which was just fine with me since I also ordered the Peanut Butter Freeze off of the dessert cocktail menu. If you love Peanut Butter, then this is a must have. This was probably my most favorite dessert of my entire trip. If we had not been trying to get back to EPCOT to see Illuminations I probably could have just stayed there and ordered more of that delicious frozen cocktail.

We just at there on Tuesday night. Although it wasn't our favorite of the trip the food was good. The tuna appetizer was wonderful.

As an update to my previous post back in November, I just ate there on December 19th with my father. This time I had the scallop dish and my father had the filet. We both enjoyed our meal. This time we sat in the back room, which is a little dark, but is quieter than the main room. But still, overall this was a great dinner and had a wonderful time sharing this restaurant with my father. It also helped this time that I got the AP discount. FYI, I did get the Peanut Butter Freeze again this time. Probably ranks as one of the best drinks I have ever had in my life. I could literally drink that all the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter