flying back to the UK indirectly

karentan

<font color=green>my main job for tomorrow is to g
we're flying out indirect via atlanta.
on the way out i know i need to clear immigration in atlanta, pick up the luggage, then drop it back off again for the next flight. (we've got a 5 hour stopover so time isnt a problem)

coming back, do i need to claim luggage then drop it back off again? we've only got an hour and a half between flights on the way back and i'm not sure if they check the luggage all the way through to gatwick or whether i need to claim then drop it back off again?
thanks

When you check in at MCO it will be tagged for Gatwick and go automatically onto the connecting flight in Atlanta.

ford family

you don't have to get bags on return journey. We did the same with 90 min gap and had an hour to spare at Atlanta. Only a problem if initial flight is delayed.
david

i wonder why we have to collect it on the way out then? or is it something to do with immigration?

i wonder why we have to collect it on the way out then? or is it something to do with immigration?

It is going through customs I think, in the US you need to have all your bags with you and physically take them through customs, then you can put them back into the luggage handling system.

It is the law that you have to clear customs and immigration at your point of entry into the USA. That is the reason why you have to collect your luggage in Atlanta. On the way back you are leaving the country so there are no customs or immigration formalities.

Corinna

On the way back you are leaving the country so there are no customs or immigration formalities.

Corinna

Yo do have to clear immigration going back, they still have to pick up stubs from the green I95 form
Karen your bags will be checked all the way back,no need to pick up at Atlanta on return journey
Paul

Yo do have to clear immigration going back, they still have to pick up stubs from the green I95 form
Karen your bags will be checked all the way back,no need to pick up at Atlanta on return journey
Paul

Whenever I have flown to the USA, the stubs of the green forms were removed by the airline at the point of check in. Even when we flew indirect via JFK in 2006, the stubs were removed at check in at MCO and we were given the boarding passes for both flights.

Corinna

Yes, "clearing immigration" on the return flight means handing in that little green slip of paper to airline staff either when you check in, or when you board the international leg of your flight. They will tell you they need it. It takes less than 30 seconds ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter