flying American, would you fly basic economy on a flight that has no middle seats? +

Princess2R

Mouseketeer
Flying with my 2 year old. already need to bring a car seat & stroller (gate check)

There are no middle seats, so I'm not worried about us not sitting together.

American allows carry on and overhead with basic economy, you just board in the last group.

My main concern is not having space for my overhead bag. I have anxiety over them losing my stuff!

It's significantly cheaper to buy basic with boarding in the last group.

Any experience with American's basic? overhead space?

What kind of plane? On some RJs with a two and two configuation, there’s virtually no overhead room for roller bags, etc. In that case, your carry ons will be hate checked.

Is the 2 year old sitting in the car seat on the plane? If so, would American allow you to board with "those who need extra time" to get the car seat situated (or is it just a booster)?

As far as not sitting together, it is still possible. Sorry, if it was me in your situation, I'd bite the bullet and pay the extra for normal economy. One of the joys of having kids.

Embraer RJ-175

Okay I’ve had to fly those several times this year. Particularly I’ve flown Americans. These kind of planes (commuter jets) in general don’t come with a large overhead. Not enough room. Americans layout is one of the better ones that has a bit more umph and room in the overhead. But based on what I’ve seen you’re more then likely will have to gate check any bags.

As far as not sitting together, it is still possible. Sorry, if it was me in your situation, I'd bite the bullet and pay the extra for normal economy. One of the joys of having kids.

That's what I thought. Just because there are no middle seats doesn't mean you will get two seats together if you are the last to board. One seat might be in aisle 5 and one seat might be in aisle 7, for example.

If you go to seatguru.com you can enter your flight information and see the layout for your plane (if it doesn't show on the airline's own website).

Okay I’ve had to fly those several times this year. Particularly I’ve flown Americans. These kind of planes (commuter jets) in general don’t come with a large overhead. Not enough room. Americans layout is one of the better ones that has a bit more umph and room in the overhead. But based on what I’ve seen you’re more then likely will have to gate check any bags.
On Delta, when you do the small planes, they treat carry on bags like they do strollers (drop off and pick up plane side). Is that what American does, or will it go all the way to baggage claim at the destination?

I flew American on Basic Economy with kids and reviewed their policy before purchase and I believe they do have a policy to seat children with parents.

Maybe I’m cheap but I’d take the chance with luggage - it’s pretty rare especially if no connection.

I think that plane has a full size overhead. They may allow you to board early with the car seat. Check in at 24 hours to get your seat assignment.

Yeah definitely try to check in online when it opens 24 hours prior, which may or may not allow you to select seats but at least try.

We just flew AA last week and on the way down I checked in about 22 hours prior and it assigned us seats, but flying back out of MCO we checked in on the app 24 hours prior to departure and it said "seats assigned at gate" which may have been due to the number of open seats left on the plane, who knows (we got seats assigned at the gate and they weren't exit row as I thought they might be).

But no matter what you get assigned, be sure to board during the "needing extra time" announcement like others have noted, then you should be good to go.

Enjoy your trip!

I thought American basic economy only included a "personal item" that will go under your seat - not a "carry on" to go in the overhead bin?
That was what I thought, too. If not, then I worked really hard to get everything my family would need for a long weekend into backpacks last summer! ;)

Just flew American on a commuter jet a few weeks ago. I just checked my carryon at the gate and picked it up when we landed. It was super easy, the bags were offloaded very quickly.

Just flew American on a commuter jet a few weeks ago. I just checked my carryon at the gate and picked it up when we landed. It was super easy, the bags were offloaded very quickly.
Picked it up where? On the jetway or in baggage claim? Last time I flew American and they made me gate check my carry-on they checked it through to my final destination and lost it. (I did have a connection)

I flew American on Basic Economy with kids and reviewed their policy before purchase and I believe they do have a policy to seat children with parents.

Maybe I’m cheap but I’d take the chance with luggage - it’s pretty rare especially if no connection.

Yes! They will attempt to seat children under 15 with 1 adult. Of course, 15 year olds can handle sitting alone compared to a 2 year old.

I called them and I was told that I would get seat assignment within a few days. she said. "for safety and security reasons" they won't have a 2 year old sitting alone.

Small bumpy and reliable aircraft they are.

I've been having pretty bad anxiety about this! I hate flying to begin with but small/bumpy... I can't handle it!
Yes I am a grown azz woman but even the slightest bump on an airplane has me in a panic!

Picked it up where? On the jetway or in baggage claim? Last time I flew American and they made me gate check my carry-on they checked it through to my final destination and lost it. (I did have a connection)
Right on the jetway. Took maybe an extra five minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!