Flu shot poll

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by Mickeymoosea, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Mickeymoosea

Mickeymoosea Earning My Ears

Hi y'all. We are heading to Orlando Disney for the middle of September. We don't usually get flu shots until DD's annual check up in November. Should we be getting it before the trip ? It seems too early but I have heard about circulating cases already. I have heard it's recommended to wait until the end of October so the protection lasts all season. Thoughts? Wwyd? My DD will be 4 in November. Thanks.

2. Blsmith88

Blsmith88 Earning My Ears

Thankful for this tip! I didn’t even think about it because I have a one-year-old and she was covered by my shot last season until she could get it at 6 mos in February. We are headed down in late September/early October and now I think I’m definitely going to request before we go.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. maxiesmom

maxiesmom The Mean Squinty Eye Works

I go to WDW almost every fall, and I do get a flu shot a few weeks ahead of my trip.

Sha259 likes this.
  5. NYCgrrl

NYCgrrl DIS Veteran

Ask your pediatrician.

MrsDuck and robinb like this.
  6. HopperFan

HopperFan "It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess."

I was gonna vote .... but no poll.

So I'll just say ...

It's a very personal decision between you and doctor.

DaisyDuck001 and Shanti like this.
  7. mi*vida*loca

mi*vida*loca Collect memories, not things

I would definitely discuss it with your pediatrician but i don’t think it’ll be an issue to get it ahead of time.

Ngwira likes this.
  8. meghanb133

meghanb133 Mouseketeer

I would. It can’t hurt. I got mine today and will be getting DD’s as soon as her pediatricians office gets it in.

9. NYCgrrl

NYCgrrl DIS Veteran

I suspect the previous shot will be good through September as well but checking to be sure is a good thing.
    Both my paternal bio grandmother and great grandmother died w/i a week of each other during the 1918 influenza pandemic. They had immune compromised systems at the time so that might have been the key to their untimely demises.

10. Mickeymoosea

Mickeymoosea Earning My Ears

Thanks. Do you know when the pediatrician get shipments? I don't think our pediatrician has it in yet. I'd rather not get shots for my little one anywhere else.

11. sponica

sponica DIS Veteran

It depends on the state you're in. In NH the state provides flu shots to the MD offices for children under 18, so the doctors office cannot offer them until the state makes them available.

12. lanejudy

lanejudy Moderator Moderator

I also agree to check with the pediatrician. DD's ped office rarely has supply by this time of year, and to be effective for mid-September I believe the shot would need to be administered within the next week or so. If the ped doesn't have it, but feels it would be necessary, s/he may be able to direct you to a location with supply on-hand.

Enjoy your vacation!

Pumbaa_ likes this.
  13. MaryLovesPoohBear

MaryLovesPoohBear DIS Veteran

I see my doctor before I go. If he has them, I will get one. If not, I will wait.

I get one as soon as they come out.

14. pjacobi

pjacobi DIS Veteran

The flu shot will *not* protect you from the "stomach flu", aka norovirus, present at home, WDW and cruise ships during the winter months.

-Paul

The E Collective and Shanti like this.
  15. MaryLovesPoohBear

MaryLovesPoohBear DIS Veteran

No, but it will help to protect you from the actual flu. Which can be quite debilitating to those with chronic illnesses and children.

Ngwira and Tiki_Sara like this.
  16. JessicaW1234

JessicaW1234 DIS Veteran

If it is available, I would get it.

Ngwira and jerseygal like this.
  17. nycdisneygal

nycdisneygal DIS Veteran

I would, but would only do it this early because of the trip. Otherwise, would do later in september/october/nov.

18. EscalatorKid

EscalatorKid Mouseketeer

I can't really get one until my doctor's appointment unless I go to Rite Aid and pay for it. (And even then, they sometimes don't have them in stock.)

I usually don't get mine until my November appointment regardless.

19. Shanti

Shanti Momketeer

It's a personal decision. We never get flu shots at all and have never gotten sick there.

20. MomOTwins

MomOTwins The Mommy Fairy

Flu season is from October through May. For that reason we always get the shot in September or the first week of October. But that also means it is unlikely there would be a lot of flu virus circulating in mid-September when you are planning to travel. So I guess my answer is I don't think you necessarily need to get one for your trip, but I would certainly encourage you not to wait as late as November, by which time the flu season will already have been well underway.

4Hawks likes this.
  21. Dismama2boys

Dismama2boys Mouseketeer

Same.

Shanti likes this.