• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Florida Holiday 2002 or What A Journey

Pete the DISney nut

Official NUTcase
and If I wanted to have a mystery Tour I would pay for One!!!

Our Journey time to Florida began on the morning of the 7th March when my DM arrived to pick us up and take us to Newcastle Central to catch our train up to the even more frozen north of Glasgow. This was not our plan as we had requested to fly from Newcastle but as a result of September 11 (I am guessing) we were notified November 2001 that we have had a change and we were flying from Glasgow instead.

We were not happy bunnies at the news and we are currently pursuing Airtours for compensation to cover us for this. Anyway, the train journey up was uneventful and actually quite pleasant; we found the hotel really easily. We got in to the room and had a wander round the airport trying to find where the check in was so it was not going to be a mad dash for us in the morning.

This done, we lazed around had a bite to eat and had an early night.

Morning of the 8th dawned and we had been up way before the sun, I can tell you. Have any of you seen the advert where the children cannot get to sleep and at the end the guy says, sorry can't get to sleep I am to excited and the Children say I heard that!? Well, that was us. Sorry, I should say me before I get hit!

The checking in process was quite pleasant actually and we were soon in our plane seats - right in the front seats 1A and 1C - lovely jubbly and we had our own private screens and after a slight delay we were airborne.

We decided after the last time to fly Premiair Gold and this was the first of many things we had decided to do to make our holidays more memorable. The food was lovely - as far as aircraft food goes - and the free drinks went down a real treat, so says Tracy who had six Baileys on the outbound flight. Mind you, I can talk says the guy who had three Brandies and Coke. Yum Yum!!!

One of the things I was looking forward to was having a pilot's eye view of the plane as it took off and I had the chance to do that as well, which was really cool.

Anyway, the flight over was pleasant even if we did have a family who had a little one who did not like flying that much and all we heard was constant grizzles throughout the flight.

Oh, before I forget. There is a film coming out soon with Kevin Spacey called K-PAX. I strongly recommend anyone who likes a good film to watch this when it comes out. An inspiring film. This was the inflight movie I watched along with Heist which was okay too.

Landed in Sanford ahead of time and this too pleased us as we had planned to go to the MK on the evening to do a couple of attractions on the first night before turning in. Went through Sanford with no problems at all - a nice little airport; one we had never been to but one we would use again.

We went to the desk to pick up our ticket vouchers - again no problems so we thought excellent, this is a doddle. Something has to go wrong. Huh. Famous last words.

This was when we hit the only problem. We made ourselves known to the coach co-ordinator chap and said where we were going. He told us to sit and wait for the coach to come and pick us up and take to the hotel. Well, we sat and waited. And waited. And waited. All this time, people were coming out and getting picked up by coaches and being driven off. Hmmm, has to be a rabbit off somewhere. I went up to the same guy and asked where our coach was and he "asked" me to take a seat and wait for the coach to come. OK, fine. So we waited some more. And waited again.

Finally, we got on the coach and thought finally. Three more parties got on and we were off.

Some hope. I think we must have seen most of Downtown Orlando and Downtown Kissimmee before we finally got dropped off. I was not happy but we finally got checked in - hassle free - and made our way to our room. We had requested a low room in a non-smoking block but we were given a high room in a smoking block. Go figure. Anyway, we ended up in Toy Story room 9758 and this was to be our home for the next two weeks.

Unpacked very quickly and headed for the bus to the MK where the plan was to do the night rides we had seen that were recommended and possibly eat somewhere in the MK itself.

Our first port of call was BTMR where I asked for - and got, after a slight wait - the back row. Well, all I can say is this has to be done. Amazing experience, definitely recommend this. From there we rode Magic Carpets of Aladdin (OK especially when Tracy got spat at by the camel - totally accidentally of course. He says - and from there we went to ride Winnie, Snow White, the Mad Tea Cups which was closed last time around, Cindy's carousel and saw the last of the fireworks from behind the Castle.

After the fireworks we decided to head back to the hotel and eat in the food court and pick up our refillable mugs to see us through the hols and I have to admit that I was just in the mood for a Philly Sub.

So once we got back, I had just that and it was mighty fine. Tracy had a grilled chicken sandwich which looked like it was half a chicken in a bun. We realised, yup, we are here.

All in all, a lovely way to start the holiday and it reminded us just what we had missed from what has to be the most magical place in the world.

Tomorrow: MGM and the christening of the CamCorder.

Do you know if the choice of movies you had were also available in the cheap seats or was that choice only available for Premiair Gold? Just curious coz I'm going in 3 weeks.:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter