Florida carseat law?

davisdenyel

Mouseketeer
I am thinking about taking a towncar or limo from mco to the port. My 2 youngest kids will be 5 and 7 at the time we go. What is the carseat laws in Florida? Will I need a carseat for them?

We were very surprised to learn that in Florida, once kids reach age 5 (regardless of height/weight), they only require a seatbelt. In Ontario, Canada, where we live, kids have to be in a carseat with 5 point harness til they reach 40 lbs, and in a booster until 80 lbs. That said, our DD is very small for her age (5 years and only 34 lbs), so she still uses a carseat at home. During our last trip to Florida, we brought a high-back booster instead (smaller and easier to pack) and she was pretty happy to ride like a big kid while we were there :) I found a very reasonably priced Cosco brand one at Walmart that comes apart into two pieces and includes a heavy plastic carrying case for travel.

You can request a car seat from the limo company. Some include it for free. We didn't chance it and used one for my 4 year old.

I would ask the limo company or town car if a car seat is required. Even here in Ontario with very strick car seat laws, you don't need them in limo's, town cars taxi's, or buses. Some will let you use yours, but they don't always have the proper clips to clip the tether to.

This is partly why we decided to rent a car for our trip. Our son will be one and I just didn't feel comfortable having him ride on the buses.

You can request a car seat from the limo company. Some include it for free. We didn't chance it and used one for my 4 year old.

:thumbsup2 As poster mentioned, most places have them for your use. Some for free, others for a nominal fee. Make sure to check with the company you are using. We used a service a few years back and requested a booster for DD4. Our driver showed up with several different kinds of seats for us to chose from.

Children can sit in a regular seat at age 4 and above in Florida. Children under 4 have to be in a baby seat. Most transportation companies will honor your request for seats or boosters whatever the age, however don't request a town car and 2 seats. The town cars usually only carry one seat, if that, because of the lack of room.

If you need two seats request a van or SUV for your family.

We were very surprised to learn that in Florida, once kids reach age 5 (regardless of height/weight), they only require a seatbelt. In Ontario, Canada, where we live, kids have to be in a carseat with 5 point harness til they reach 40 lbs, and in a booster until 80 lbs. That said, our DD is very small for her age (5 years and only 34 lbs), so she still uses a carseat at home. During our last trip to Florida, we brought a high-back booster instead (smaller and easier to pack) and she was pretty happy to ride like a big kid while we were there :) I found a very reasonably priced Cosco brand one at Walmart that comes apart into two pieces and includes a heavy plastic carrying case for travel.

I couldn't imagine; 80lbs?
My daughter would probrably be in a booster seat until shes 10.
In NJ it's 8 yrs old, reguardless of weight or height.

http://sheriff.org/safety/carseat.cfm and http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes.../SEC613.HTM&Title=->2001->CH0316->Section 613

"For children ages 4 - 5, a separate carrier, an integrated child safety seat, or a safety belt may be used. If a safety belt does not fit the child correctly, a booster set should be used to correctly position the lap and shoulder belts once they outgrow forward facing child safety seats (generally at about 40 pounds and 4 years old). Children from approximately 40-80 pounds and under 4'9" in height should ride in a booster seat."

This includes all vehicles other than motorcycles and busses.

I see you are from Ohio, what are the car seat laws where you live? Are your children required to be in a car seat or a booster seat? I would do no less when visiting any other state.

Thanks for asking this question- I had wondered too. We are driving down from Michigan. Here the law is 8 years old or 4'9", whichever comes first. The 4'9" (57") cracks me up- my son is 7 3/4 and just 44". I do think it will be 10 - at least- before he hits 57". Even his twin sister is just 46". Is it even possible for a 7 year old to be 57"? :) But I actually think my kids would prefer the boosters so the seatbelt is comfortable and they can see out the window.

Actually the Ontario law is a little different than you think here is the breakdown from the Ontario Government website.

Booster seats are required for children under the age of eight, weighing 18 kg or more but less than 36 kg (40-80 lb.) and who stand less than 145 cm (4 feet-9 inches) tall.

A child can start using a seatbelt alone once any one of the following criteria is met:

child turns eight years old
child weighs 36 kg (80 lb.)
child is 145 cm (4 feet-9 inches) tall

A lap and shoulder combination belt must be used with all booster seats. Your child's head must be supported by the top of the booster, vehicle seat or headrest. The shoulder strap must lie across the child's shoulder (not the neck or face) and middle of the chest, and the lap belt must cross low over the hips (not the stomach/abdomen). Never use seatbelt adjusters.

Between 18 and 36 kg (40—80 lb.)
Booster seat
Use with lap and shoulder belt

Hopefully that clears it up a little for you.

COLOR="Red"]Booster seats are required for children under the age of eight, weighing 18 kg or more but less than 36 kg (40-80 lb.) and who stand less than 145 cm (4 feet-9 inches) tall.

A child can start using a seatbelt alone once any one of the following criteria is met:

child turns eight years old
child weighs 36 kg (80 lb.)
child is 145 cm (4 feet-9 inches) tall

QUOTE]

Yes - I forgot to mention the 8 years old bit... of course, at the rate she's growing, DD (who's now almost 6), will probably be 8 years old before she hits 40 lbs, let alone 80!! :eek: Anyway, I was just surprised that in Florida, they are allowed to start using seatbelts alone at 5 (and that there doesn't seem to be as much of a distinction between booster vs carseat...). However, we just weren't comfortable going with the minimum allowed under the law, and opted to bring the booster (plus a carseat for the baby)... Once we were onboard our cruise, we just stuck them in the closet, which had ample room to store them.

Booster laws vary from state to state. Really, the only consistent is that babies rear face to one year and 20 lbs. Thankfully there are great seats available for extended rear facing and extended harnessing. There is also a ready-for-seatbelt "5 step test" out there that is a much better guide for when children can use a seatbelt than the laws alone (http://depts.washington.edu/booster/pdf/English flyer factsheet 2002.pdf)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!