Florida Beaches

jshowe

Earning My Ears
We are headed to WDW the first week of April.

We are considering taking a day to head over to the ocean and check out a decent beach. Anyone have any suggestions as to good places to go ? It is DH, myself, and DD-13 and DD-16. We usually just like to hang out in the sun for a while, play on the beach, and tour local shops/restaurants etc.

we have decided to head to the Atlantic side and not the Gulf side.

any suggestions ?

I am not an expert on the Atlantic side at all (we have only been to Cape Canaveral and Daytona), so if you decide on the Gulf I could offer more suggestions...

I would recommend Siesta Key... Go over to Tampa, go over the Sunshine Bridge, drive down the coast and hit Siesta Key. A bunch of fun beach shops and restaurants. I would also suggest a restaurant called Yoders.

http://www.yodersrestaurant.com/

It is probably the best meal you will have! The beach is like baby powder. I strongly urge you to consider this!

The beaches on the Atlantic do not even come close to the Gulf! Check out St Pete Beach.

I agree with what other people have said. The gulf beaches are the prettiest and nicest. I might be a little biast being from that side of FL. :rotfl: If you are looking for character you can check out Daytona. Not sure if you can still drive on the beach, it has been a few years. New Symerna, St Augustine(think historic) are right around there also. Can't really recommend too much.

I must agree that the Gulf beaches are nicer.

If you are determined to go to the Atlantic side, a very good beach (near St. Augustine) is Crescent Beach, mid-way between Palm Coast and St. Augustine Beach. Here is an area map: http://www.beacherslodge.com/images/content/mapofstaugustine.pdf It is also off the radar of most visitors to Central Florida, so you won't hear much buzz about it.

I personally don't care for Daytona Beach. It has hard-packed sand (i.e. uncomfortable to lie on) and allows cars to drive by. I do not find this relaxing at all. Also, last year, two small children were struck and killed (in two separate accidents) by moving vehicles on the beach.

I don't care for New Smyrna Beach either. You also have cars driving on the beach. Just Google "shark bite capitol of the world" and see what you get. The answer: New Smyrna Beach. Now, it's true that there have been no life-threatening injuries there - mostly surfers getting bitten on the leg or foot. But, I don't need that at all.

Cocoa Beach is nearby and family-friendly. Check out Lori Wilson Park: http://www.beachhunter.net/cocoa-beach/lori-wilson-park.htm

We did Daytona Beach lastyear after our Disney trip. WE had a great time, Beach was clean and lots to do in the area. They had very cool laydown bikes to ride the beach, 4 wheelers ect. Our kids had a blast there.

Just got back a few days ago from a trip and we went to Cocoa Beach for a day and I recommend it highly. We did Clearwater beach on the gulf side a couple years ago and I honestly don't see a big difference for a simple day trip.

I think we enjoy Cocoa Beach because it didn't seem as crowded and busy as Clearwater did.

Just my opinion. Decision is yours...

We loved Daytona Beach. Parked the car on the beach for $5 and was all set. Loved it! Clean and beautiful.
I had considered Johns Pass on Gulf side. Have heard its grogeous over there. We just decided to go with East coast.

Emerald Coast all the way!! I used to live moments from the beach in South Florida. When my husband was in Flight school, we discovered (for us) the Emerald Coast. Now, it is an annual vacation spot. We just moved less than an hour away from the Emerald Coast :)

Atlantic beaches are nice, but not as nice as the Gulf coast beaches. I would want to warn you about the under-toe on the Atlantic side, make sure you understand what it is and how to get out if you get into it. Also make sure everyone is a strong swimmer for this day at the beach. My suggestions for a gulf beach day would be
Long Boat Key, check out the sand dollar bar and restaurant
Sand Key Park, which is really clearwater, It is just not the main beach, then you could check out all the shops and restaurants, Gators on the pass is a great family restaurant on Johns pass, some shops on each side of the pass.
Fort Desoto great beach there is a old fort to explore, nice bath house. Take a picnic lunch there are several sandwich shop along the way.

Also if you want to get off the beaten path - check out Florida on a tank full - these are day trips of a tank out gas.

No matter what you do, please remember to take only memories and leave only footprints.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter