Florida Beach Question

VickiVM

DIS Veteran
We would like to add a Beach day to our WDW vacation this summer. If you've done this, please give me some suggestions. My plan is to schedule it before WDW and if the weather is bad, we can possibly still tack it on at the end of vacation. Not too keen on doing a beach day in the middle of vacation.

We are driving from Texas on I-10. Which beaches are good for a daytrip? Looking for clean/well maintained facilites. We are a family of 5 - kids are 14, 11 & 9. I don't want to pay resort prices for one hotel night - I'm willing to drive out a little ways for the night.

And finally, what is the water temp in June vs. August.

Thanks for any help:)

Every time we visit WDW in the summer we go to Siesta Key Beach in Sarasota, FL. This beach is absolutely beautiful! It's only about 90 miles or so from WDW and well worth the trip.

I love Clearwater ! Have stayed at Fairfield Inn ($89 and free continental breakfast and free internet). Also loved Sand Key - lot more money though. Water temps when we were there last summer right after 4th of July was around 86 degrees at least as I remember. Here's a link I just found for you..
http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/egof.html it has all the averages.

I also recommend Clearwater Beach. Very clean beach,and being that we went during Spring Break it really wasnt too crowded. We stayed in Clearwater at a Day's Inn several miles inland from the beach but as we had to go back that way plus this price was not outrageous. We would like to try the Daytona area, but all have ageed that we would like to return to Clearwater.

P.S. being that I lived in Corpus Christi during my life, nothing compares to Padre Island and Mustang Island in the Corpus area.

Have you looked into Cocoa Beach 50 miles from Disney less than 1hr drive from the Disney Resorts. We stayed there on our last trip to Disney and tied in a trip to Kennedy Space center. We stayed at the Hampton Inn right on the beach it was nice.:)

What about any of the beaches along the I-10 corridor as we drive into Florida? Any comments there?

tHANKS

What about any of the beaches along the I-10 corridor as we drive into Florida? Any comments there?

tHANKS
I'm not sure how far off I-10 these are, but we have enjoyed some lovely Flroday beaches in the panhandle. Ft. Walton has some beautiful areas - Okaloosa Island, Destin, and if you like nothing but beach - Cape San Blas is gorgeous and very undeveloped compared to a lot. If you like lots of development though, you'd probably like the Panama City Beach area more. Everyone has something different in mind when they say beach.

Have you looked into Cocoa Beach 50 miles from Disney less than 1hr drive from the Disney Resorts. We stayed there on our last trip to Disney and tied in a trip to Kennedy Space center. We stayed at the Hampton Inn right on the beach it was nice.:)

How was cocoa beach? One hour away seems perfect for my family. Is there a boardwalk to walk around or just beach. My boys wanted to go to daytona beach, but someone said that it is a mess because of storms.

Okay I am being partial but...... pensacola beach!!!!!!!!!! It is so beautiful, peaceful and most of all family friendly. There is a Hampton Inn, Comfort Suites and also many condos if you prefer that. Try VRBO.com. Destin is also a wonderful place to visit.There is alot to do there besides the beach. I just personally do not think that the Panama City Beach area is always the best family beach. I just put on my flame suit!! haha. The numerous times that we have gone , my little ones have seen a little too much on the beach. I hope I didnt offend anyone but it's more of a college and single area. Trust me if I had no kids I would be there in a minute!

WDWPJS, Pensacola sounds like it might work - that would be a natural break in our driving as in the past we've stopped for the night in Biloxi on our way to Orlando. PM if you have more you want to add more details. We love trying local (non-touristy) restaurants.

Thanks!

I would suggest Pensacola Beach also. The new Holiday Inn Express should be opening next month. We loved the old one (destroyed by Ivan). I'm pretty picky about where I stay for a beach vacation, but this one does it for me. All rooms are oceanfront with a balcony - nothing fancy, but clean and nice. Beautiful white sand beaches and emerald green water.:cloud9: Go to the HI site, but be sure to search for Pensacola Beach, not just Pensacola - you want oceanfront on Santa Rosa Island. We're going down for a couple of days over spring break - can't wait!

Vicki, it really depends on what you want from a beach. The Gulf Coast beaches are WAY different from Cocoa and Daytona beaches (I grew up in Cocoa). You have surf on the Atlantic side, the water is not that aquamarine color, and if you have little ones, it's a bit more hovering to keep them safe. That said, I highly recommend a day trip to Kennedy Space Center -- which extends out to the beach just north of Cocoa Beach -- and maybe a few hours in the afternoon at Cocoa Beach, which is just 10 minutes from the SR3 exit from KSC. Ron Jon's surf shop on A1A and SR520 is the traditional touristy thing to do, plus there's a nice pier and on-beach deck bars like Coconuts (is it still called that?) .. and yes, from WDW, it's about an hour along a very easy due east drive on SR528.

Sarasota has some gorgeous beaches (I'm partial to Gulf Coast water), and last year we found a simply beautiful place called Honeymoon Island State Park, near Tampa-St. Pete, from which you can take a ferry to one of the top beaches in the country, Caladesi Island. I would post links, but I'm too low on the posting totem pole. But you can Google both places....

Hope this helps!

We did a beach day last year and went to Cocoa Beach. Had a really good time. The water was a little cool and there were pretty serious riptides that day, but the kids still had fun. Ate lunch at a resturant on the beach. This year we may want to go to the gulf side and hit a beach. It is a little further drive though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter