Flights to Orlando

dmbcanada

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone,

Anyone know why a lot of the discount airlines (Swoop, Flair, Alegiant) are flying to Sanford (SFB) instead of Orlando Intl. (MCO)?

I don’t know for sure but I would guess it’s cheaper to land at SFB. Maybe it’s a less popular airport so the discount airlines are able to get better pricing on baggage and facility use, and better flight times for landing/take off.

Hi Everyone,

Anyone know why a lot of the discount airlines (Swoop, Flair, Alegiant) are flying to Sanford (SFB) instead of Orlando Intl. (MCO)?
The airport charges the airlines a number of fees for using their airport. Airlines must purchase landing slots that give them the right to land at a certain time, and then pay landing, ground handling and gate fees once they do land. SFB's fees for all of these are a lot lower than MCO.

The airport charges the airlines a number of fees for using their airport. Airlines must purchase landing slots that give them the right to land at a certain time, and then pay landing, ground handling and gate fees once they do land. SFB's fees for all of these are a lot lower than MCO.
I was suspecting that, I assume MCO must have jacked up the fees as we flew Swoop to MCO back in 2020.

The above mentioned things are correct. However, MCO is jammed and no space for additional carriers until after the new terminal opens. There is a lot more to it than gate space.

I was suspecting that, I assume MCO must have jacked up the fees as we flew Swoop to MCO back in 2020.

More likely they just sold their slots; MCO has been the busiest airport in North America this year plus most airports have a 'use it or lose it' approach to their slots so with terminal C being delayed and being uncertain of COVID restrictions impacting their schedule they would be worth more to a larger carrier and moving to SFB doesn't really impact leisure travellers.

I thought MCO was more for international flights and airlines and SFB was more of a regional/domestic airport. I fly to MCO from Montreal, Canada and to SFB from Plattsburgh, USA (a little over an hour away from Montreal).

ETA: Looking at SFB destination list, there are a few Canadian cities and the rest is all USA. MCO flights go to many different countries.

Last edited:

I thought MCO was more for international flights and airlines and SFB was more of a regional/domestic airport. I fly to MCO from Montreal, Canada and to SFB from Plattsburgh, USA (a little over an hour away from Montreal).

ETA: Looking at SFB destination list, there are a few Canadian cities and the rest is all USA. MCO flights go to many different countries.
Pre-Covid many of the UK Charter operators used SFB, which are seasonal. RIght now 95% of the SFB flights are Allegiant.

SFB has the Attraction Express charter bus that goes to Universal Orlando. A bit like Mears and Sunshine Flyer do from MCO to Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter