Flights from Ft Lauderdale

Sparkie

DIS Veteran
Well, I have jumped ship. I cancelled my Disney Fantasy cruise... I cried a little.... but just couldnt beat the price of Allure of the Seas for the same dates. Kids sail free, 50% off second guest, still a 7 night cruise and upgraded to a balcony room and my cost is almost 1/3 as Disney.

So here's the question.

We will fly in the day before the cruise so no worries there. But coming home. What is the earliest recommended flight time from Ft Lauderdale airport? My choices are 845 am or late afternoon or late evening or waiting until the next day.

Even though the airport is a short ride from the cruise port, an 8:45 flight time will not be "doable" at all. You'd have to be at the airport no later than 7:15a.

Late afternoon or evening works well, and if you flew out the next day, you'd have one more day of Florida weather.

Renting a car at Port Everglades is pretty easy. The area is pretty easy to get around- the public beach is about 10 minutes away (you could get a hotel room at a day rate if you have an evening flight). The Museum of Discovery and Science, in downtown Fort Lauderdale, is family-friendly and is about 15 minutes from Port Everglades.

Any suggestions for hotels in the area? Delta has a 755pm flight. I think the day room and a day at the beach could be perfect.

Last edited:

All the below are directly on the beach.

The Marriott Harbor Beach at least used to have day rates. About 10 minutes from Port Everglades.
The B Ocean Resort Fort Lauderdale. About 10 minutes from Port Everglades.
Lago Mar resort (family owned)- it depends a bit on time of year. Some of the rooms may be a bit dated. There are two large pools, one of which directly overlooks the beach. It's 10 minutes from Port Everglades. Excellent, but a bit pricey, boat drinks.

I stayed at the Hyatt Place Ft Lauderdale 17th Street. There's a site called valuetrips that has rooms for almost half off the rack rate. The website looks dodgy and response time is slow but it's legit. Would not say it's great for a day room but for the night before it's perfect.

And for whatever it's worth, we had an 11am flight and had no troubles making it to FLL in time for our flight to Toronto. I don't think I would book a flight earlier than that though.

No way would I try for an 8:45 flight. That would be a way too stressful end of a vacation. Renting a car at Port Everglades is easy. We've used Dollar in the past. They have a shuttle from the port to their location right outside of the port entrance. We then returned the car to the airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter