Flight time- What would you pick and why?

flinkerfrosch

DIS Veteran
Okay, so I'm not sure what flight time to pick due to the 5hr time difference coming home from where we live (Toronto-Canada area) and I'm hoping some of you that have done a flight home with a 5hr or so time change could help me.

I will be flying with my husband and 2 boys. Their ages will be time of vacation 8 & 10.

Picking The flight going to Hawaii was easy, but the fight coming home I'm having problems with.

Going to Honolulu (Staying at Aulani) we leave at 8:30am and arrive in Honolulu at 4pm (Hawaii time)

We're flying out of Maui going home (we're staying 10 nights in Maui after Aulani) and these are the flight times I'm looking at...

Depart OGG @ 1:50pm and arrive in Toronto @ 6:40am with 1 short layover- Total travel time is 11hrs 50 mins

Depart OGG @ 9:45pm and arrive in Toronto @ 3:17pm with 1 layover- Total travel time is 12hrs 32mins

Depart OGG @ 11:20pm and arrive in Toronto @ 3:24 with 1 layover- Total travel time is 11hrs 4mins

Airlines are either United, Delta or Air Canada.

Any help, advice or tips would be appreciated!!!

Thank you :)

I would choose the 1:50pm flight, arrive at 6:40 am. Most hotel check-outs are in the morning (somewhere between 10-12), so it seems perfect to me to check out of the hotel, grab an early lunch, and head to the airport. At the end of a long vacation I would rather have smooth timing than figure out what to do until the later night flights (I know most resorts let you stay on site, but it just is not as convenient without a hotel room). Then arriving back home at 6:40 am gives you more of the day to start some laundry, go to the grocery store, collect pets if you have them, just get settled back before returning to real life.

That said, my opinion might be different depending on where the layovers are, for how long, and what is available if the connection is missed. For example, I would be a bit leary of a short connection through SFO - their flow control can really mess things up, but if there are plenty of other options to Toronto, then a missed connection would be no big deal.

I would choose the 1:50pm flight, arrive at 6:40 am. Most hotel check-outs are in the morning (somewhere between 10-12), so it seems perfect to me to check out of the hotel, grab an early lunch, and head to the airport. At the end of a long vacation I would rather have smooth timing than figure out what to do until the later night flights (I know most resorts let you stay on site, but it just is not as convenient without a hotel room). Then arriving back home at 6:40 am gives you more of the day to start some laundry, go to the grocery store, collect pets if you have them, just get settled back before returning to real life.

That said, my opinion might be different depending on where the layovers are, for how long, and what is available if the connection is missed. For example, I would be a bit leary of a short connection through SFO - their flow control can really mess things up, but if there are plenty of other options to Toronto, then a missed connection would be no big deal.

Very good points!!! I actually never even considered 'what if we missed our connection' cause I always fly direct, but going to Hawaii from Toronto their are no direct flights.
Our connection would be in LAX and it's appx 1hr 45mins (For the flight leaving at 1:50pm) Not sure if that's long enough?? I don't like connecting flights cause I'm always worried about my luggage not making the flight, but I didn't consider missing the connecting one lol
I too liked being home early so we have 2 days (Sat & Sun) to try and recover from Jetlag. I'm not sure how tired we would be when we got home which would be around 8-8:30 if everything went smoothly, but we could always take a short nap and go to bed early that evening.

Thanks for your advice:)

Agree that the connecting airport (and how long) is a consideration in this decision. Some airports are well laid out and tight connections aren't a problem. We also prefer to have a longer red-eye portion of any two-leg trip so we can sleep longer.

Some things to consider for the OP is how well your two will do on a long flight (if you have any experience with that) and how much time they will take to marshal from one flight to the other at the connection airport. Bathroom stops and meals on the ground in an airport may take longer than you might think especially in an unfamiliar terminal.

I also considered how long we will have been awake on the return leg. The flight that got us home at 11 pm (versus all the others that arrived 5-7 am) was actually the least time we'd have been awake, and 11 our home time would actually only be 7pm on our body clocks (Hawaii time).

I would pick the earlier flight. I wouldnt' want to be changing planes in middle of the night. Unless the other flight had much better amenities. Ie tv in seat.
Happy planning.
Kerri

I always choose a flight that will allow us to sleep at least some on the way home, so I'd go with the 9:45pm departure. That way, you're tired enough to sleep some.

Our options for our upcoming trip were to return on a 5:00pm departure or an 8:00pm departure. I chose 8pm.

We check out, store our bags, go shop and have a bite to eat, then get our bags and get to the airport by 6:00pm. I had considered paying for an extra night, but it wasn't worth only needing the room for a few hours at most. That being said, we're going first class and have lie flat seats, so I hope we can get a good sleep (it's an 8 hour flight, then we connect and have another 3 hour one).

Agree that the connecting airport (and how long) is a consideration in this decision. Some airports are well laid out and tight connections aren't a problem. We also prefer to have a longer red-eye portion of any two-leg trip so we can sleep longer.

Some things to consider for the OP is how well your two will do on a long flight (if you have any experience with that) and how much time they will take to marshal from one flight to the other at the connection airport. Bathroom stops and meals on the ground in an airport may take longer than you might think especially in an unfamiliar terminal.

I'm not sure how my 2 boys will do to be honest? We've flown a lot, but never an overnight flight, and never with a 5hr time difference. We've done a 3hr time difference, but we left and landed the same day, so it was fine for all of us.
I hadn't really consider the length of the layover, but now I'm thinking a longer one maybe better so we can have a bit more time to use the washrooms, eat, etc...I also think a longer layover maybe be better to make sure our luggage makes on the next plane!?
Hmmm...lots to think about! Thank you for your help:)

I also considered how long we will have been awake on the return leg. The flight that got us home at 11 pm (versus all the others that arrived 5-7 am) was actually the least time we'd have been awake, and 11 our home time would actually only be 7pm on our body clocks (Hawaii time).

I wish we could leave and land all in the same day, but unfortunately that's not the case when flying into Toronto:(
The earliest I've seen is leaving at the flight I had stated above- 1:50pm in the afternoon. The latest one leaves at 11:20-11:45pm.
Either way we're going to have to adjust to the time change and lack of sleep for a few days when we come home lol

I would pick the earlier flight. I wouldnt' want to be changing planes in middle of the night. Unless the other flight had much better amenities. Ie tv in seat.
Happy planning.
Kerri

Hmmmm...I'm going to have to do some research on United. Delta did have the TV's in the seat (I think) and Air Canada rents IPads which I actually like better, but I'm not sure about United? I actually love flying Delta, always had great experiences. AC is good, but they have a lot of delays. I know nothing about United.

I always choose a flight that will allow us to sleep at least some on the way home, so I'd go with the 9:45pm departure. That way, you're tired enough to sleep some.

Our options for our upcoming trip were to return on a 5:00pm departure or an 8:00pm departure. I chose 8pm.

We check out, store our bags, go shop and have a bite to eat, then get our bags and get to the airport by 6:00pm. I had considered paying for an extra night, but it wasn't worth only needing the room for a few hours at most. That being said, we're going first class and have lie flat seats, so I hope we can get a good sleep (it's an 8 hour flight, then we connect and have another 3 hour one).

Those lay flat seats are awesome!!! We've flown first class a few times and always enjoyed it. Those seats will be a blessing for an overnight flight. If I had those, it would be a no brainer on what flight I would pick lol...

I too considered paying for an extra night so we had the hotel room for the day if we flew out at 11:20pm, but I'm Canadian, and with the exchange rate, it didn't make sense to spend the money:(

I'm not sure how my 2 boys will do to be honest? We've flown a lot, but never an overnight flight, and never with a 5hr time difference. We've done a 3hr time difference, but we left and landed the same day, so it was fine for all of us.
Of course I don't know you or your children but typically children are more resilient and recover faster from jet lag.

Of course I don't know you or your children but typically children are more resilient and recover faster from jet lag.

Yes, that's so true! Knowing my boys, it probably wouldn't even bother them lol Kids are so resilient as you stated, so I probably don't really need to worry as much as I thought. They just go with the flow....
I think it will be my husband and I that will need to recover hehe...
I do appreciate all your help, thank you:)

You may also want to look into what terminals the flights arrive and depart from lax. Some aren't too bad should you get stuck. And see about ability to use and cost of day use of lounges at lax just in case you do get stuck. It's difficult at best when traveling longer flights but then add in jet lag and no sleep and it can make for melt downs even on adults.

Regarding departure from Maui later or earlier; where on the island are you planning on staying? If you plan on kaanapali beach area, the traffic can be a bear. If staying at in wailea or kehei then you don't need to plan for as much travel time. Most of the hotels on Maui offer day or check out rooms for a charge. If you do plan on staying up north you can still spend the day on the west side of the island perhaps at big beach, eat at a taco stand there, or eat appitizers at ko at the Fairmont -happy hour specials. Parking is covered at the Fairmont if eating. The Maui airport isn't a place to hang out too long.

I've done both and I prefer a daytime departure from Hawaii. I always envision using the last full day to its fullest and not needing to spend the extra $ on hotel but in reality I end up thinking more about the travel logistics on check out day. Herding people to get bags packed and timing getting out of room on time, keep swimming suits out, what to do in the evening once pool and beach time is over... sometimes it can't be avoided but it's a little nicer to wake up, have some breakfast, one last swim, shower and head off.

I'm wrestling with the same issue myself right now. Two kids have to take the 10 pm flight as it's all that's available to anchorage direct. This means we either take the 11:55pm flight and we all leave for airport together (which means we get an extra two hour wait for our flight) or we stay an extra night and run them to airport. We'd still be changing rooms last night - no need to spend all that extra on a 2 bedroom for last night. Change of room has its own set of problems. Check out of two bedroom at 11 and not checking into hotel room till 4. For the cost of the extra night I could pay for a spa treatment for all of us so a nice treat before late flight.

We are Toronto based as well and have been travelling with our two kids back and forth to Hawaii since the first was 18 months old. We have done a few different flights and by far the easiest for us is the flight that arrives back into Toronto in the mid to late afternoon.

The biggest problem with flights that arrive home too early is the kids fall asleep too early. Then around 4 am they are wide awake and it becomes a vicious jet lag cycle that is very hard to break. As a light sleeper, I have a hard time sleeping if others are up and around in the house, but especially the kids. Its a mommy radar thing.

The formula that works for our family is arrive home somewhere between 2 and 6 in the afternoon. By the time we get through Pearson and home it is a good 1.5 to 2 hours. We pick up something to eat to bring home with us so no one wakes up in the middle of the night from being hungry. We eat, make sure everyone uses the washroom and hit our beds. Sometimes as early as 5 but most of the time we dont make it past 7 or 8pm. This usually allows us to get a full nights sleep on Toronto time. I dont let them sleep in too long either the next morning. That way they are still tired enough to go to bed at a reasonable time the next night and that usually breaks the jet lag.

The very best thing is if you all sleep on the plane between OGG and LAX. Dont stress if you dont sleep but it makes once heck of a difference. When they have to wake up to land, I remind everyone that it is like a nap and they will be able to sleep in their own beds soon. Usually takes the crankiness away (LOL) Then if you sleep between LAX and YYZ it is a bonus but because it is daytime, it kind of feels weird-depends on how tired everyone is.

I bring small pillows for everyone and I am even thinking of getting the blow up sleep supports for our Hawaii trips.

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-22_8-56-26.png
    upload_2017-5-22_8-56-26.png
    572.3 KB · Views: 4
We flew from Honolulu to Buffalo. Left about 3pm Hawaii time, got to Atlanta at 6am eastern time, and were home in Buffalo around 12pm EST. For us, it was very difficult to sleep on the plane, because most of our plane ride was just evening time as opposed to overnight. We weren't tired until about the last 1-2 hours of our flight and at that point, we didn't want to try to get comfortable to sleep. We had a 2 and a half hour layover in Atlanta and by that time, we were complete zombies. Fell asleep in the gate area which was very uncomfortable, and tried to sleep a little on the flight from Atlanta to Buffalo which was short. We were exhausted when we got home. But the good side to getting little to no sleep on the way home was that we went to bed at a normal time at home, so it helped to minimize any sleep troubles/re-adjusting back in our time zone.

I can't speak to other airlines, but I'll also add that we loved our Delta flight. Our plane was the Airbus 330 and we were in regular coach and had hundreds of free movies and TV shows at our seat, free meals, free alcohol. We'd try to fly this plane again if we ever go again just for the comfort/convenience factor, regardless of flight times.

I can't speak to other airlines, but I'll also add that we loved our Delta flight. Our plane was the Airbus 330 and we were in regular coach and had hundreds of free movies and TV shows at our seat, free meals, free alcohol. We'd try to fly this plane again if we ever go again just for the comfort/convenience factor, regardless of flight times.
Agree on this flight. We took it Saturday (5/20) evening in first class. Very comfortable flight and the entertainment options pretty much cover all tastes. Watched Moana on the way to HNL and Rogue One on the way back.

Agree on this flight. We took it Saturday (5/20) evening in first class. Very comfortable flight and the entertainment options pretty much cover all tastes. Watched Moana on the way to HNL and Rogue One on the way back.

So were these the lie flat seats? I like that flight!

You may also want to look into what terminals the flights arrive and depart from lax. Some aren't too bad should you get stuck. And see about ability to use and cost of day use of lounges at lax just in case you do get stuck. It's difficult at best when traveling longer flights but then add in jet lag and no sleep and it can make for melt downs even on adults.

Regarding departure from Maui later or earlier; where on the island are you planning on staying? If you plan on kaanapali beach area, the traffic can be a bear. If staying at in wailea or kehei then you don't need to plan for as much travel time. Most of the hotels on Maui offer day or check out rooms for a charge. If you do plan on staying up north you can still spend the day on the west side of the island perhaps at big beach, eat at a taco stand there, or eat appitizers at ko at the Fairmont -happy hour specials. Parking is covered at the Fairmont if eating. The Maui airport isn't a place to hang out too long.

I've done both and I prefer a daytime departure from Hawaii. I always envision using the last full day to its fullest and not needing to spend the extra $ on hotel but in reality I end up thinking more about the travel logistics on check out day. Herding people to get bags packed and timing getting out of room on time, keep swimming suits out, what to do in the evening once pool and beach time is over... sometimes it can't be avoided but it's a little nicer to wake up, have some breakfast, one last swim, shower and head off.

I'm wrestling with the same issue myself right now. Two kids have to take the 10 pm flight as it's all that's available to anchorage direct. This means we either take the 11:55pm flight and we all leave for airport together (which means we get an extra two hour wait for our flight) or we stay an extra night and run them to airport. We'd still be changing rooms last night - no need to spend all that extra on a 2 bedroom for last night. Change of room has its own set of problems. Check out of two bedroom at 11 and not checking into hotel room till 4. For the cost of the extra night I could pay for a spa treatment for all of us so a nice treat before late flight.

Hi, we are staying at The Westin Kaanapali for the 10 nights:)

Sounds like you have some decision making to do as well! Personally, I would go to the airport with your family and wait the 2 more hours to board your flight. The other options seem like so much more work :worried:

Thanks for your help though!! I really appreciate all the help and advice :D

We are Toronto based as well and have been travelling with our two kids back and forth to Hawaii since the first was 18 months old. We have done a few different flights and by far the easiest for us is the flight that arrives back into Toronto in the mid to late afternoon.

The biggest problem with flights that arrive home too early is the kids fall asleep too early. Then around 4 am they are wide awake and it becomes a vicious jet lag cycle that is very hard to break. As a light sleeper, I have a hard time sleeping if others are up and around in the house, but especially the kids. Its a mommy radar thing.

The formula that works for our family is arrive home somewhere between 2 and 6 in the afternoon. By the time we get through Pearson and home it is a good 1.5 to 2 hours. We pick up something to eat to bring home with us so no one wakes up in the middle of the night from being hungry. We eat, make sure everyone uses the washroom and hit our beds. Sometimes as early as 5 but most of the time we dont make it past 7 or 8pm. This usually allows us to get a full nights sleep on Toronto time. I dont let them sleep in too long either the next morning. That way they are still tired enough to go to bed at a reasonable time the next night and that usually breaks the jet lag.

The very best thing is if you all sleep on the plane between OGG and LAX. Dont stress if you dont sleep but it makes once heck of a difference. When they have to wake up to land, I remind everyone that it is like a nap and they will be able to sleep in their own beds soon. Usually takes the crankiness away (LOL) Then if you sleep between LAX and YYZ it is a bonus but because it is daytime, it kind of feels weird-depends on how tired everyone is.

I bring small pillows for everyone and I am even thinking of getting the blow up sleep supports for our Hawaii trips.

You have some very good points!!!!

You sound like you know what you're doing, so I'm going to take this into consideration before I book my flights.

Getting home and only having to stay up X amount of hours vs all day does make total sense!!

I work nights a lot in my job and I know how hard it is to stay up all day after being up all night unless I don't sit down and I go go go until I burn out lol

Thanks so much!!! :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter