Flight of Passage - how "rough" is the ride

grumpy's fan

Mouseketeer
Wondering how much movement is on the Flight of Passage ride as I tend to avoid rides with a lot of jerky type movements (like Big Thunder or Space Mountain) --had back issues years ago and my back gets cranky on jerky type rides.

Thanks so much for the help!

There are less jerky movements in FoP (in fact, I recall none). It's like Soarin' set in Avatar

It's not very jerky. Just keep in mind you'd be riding a motorcycle like vehicle, so you'll be leaning forward...as opposed to a chair (Soarin'). You might want to sit in the sample banshee just outside the entrance to see if that would be comfortable for you.

I would not consider it jerky at all. You are soaring on the back of a Banshee, they glide. Think more Soarin', not Space Tours.

Looks like I'm in the minority but the first few times I rode it I felt slightly motion sick afterwards. I tried closing my eyes once and that made it even worse.

Looks like I'm in the minority but the first few times I rode it I felt slightly motion sick afterwards. I tried closing my eyes once and that made it even worse.

Probably not in the minority. It makes me start to feel a little blue. It doesn’t take me out of commission like Star Tours, but it ain’t Soarin’ either! :-)

Still love it though.

I get slightly motion sick on FOP but it's not jerky and actually very smooth. Really feels like you are flying. However, the one scene where you fly over the stampeding wildebeest looking animals and the one jumps up, forcing you up and back, is quite jerky and I have to close my eyes to combat instant nauseousness. But that's 2 seconds of a 5 minute ride.

I would consider motion sickness and jerkiness of the ride as 2 separate things. I consider FoP to be very smooth with quick drops and swooping motion, not the quick jerks that Star Tours has.
For those prone to motion sickness, I can understand how FoP could make it worse.

We took my 91 year old Dad on it a year and a half ago. He was fine with the actual movement but most of us got motion sickness. I have had back issues for decades and didn't notice the movement causing any feelings in my back. We all really liked the ride though.

I did not find it jerky. I have had three spine surgeries and had no issues at all. For context, I do ride most things at WDW, except for Space Mountain, which I find incredibly jerky.

I have a blown out disc in my lower back with severe pain. FOP was fine for me. Very smooth.

I think the previous five posters pretty much answered the "roughness" question.

But be prepared for an intense 3D visual experience. The impact of FoP comes from the visuals. For the first few seconds of my first ride I started to get overwhelmed. Then I remembered that part of the storyline is that you are following a "ride leader". Once I found the ride leader and focused my attention on following his movements my brain settled down and the ride became amazing. By watching the motion of the ride leader you can anticipate the motion which, for me, really made a difference.

Wondering how much movement is on the Flight of Passage ride as I tend to avoid rides with a lot of jerky type movements (like Big Thunder or Space Mountain) --had back issues years ago and my back gets cranky on jerky type rides.

Thanks so much for the help!
FoP is not a jerky ride. I don’t like jerky rides and I won’t even go on a kiddie roller coaster, but the whole time I rode FoP I had the biggest smile on my face and just went with it. Incredible!

I rode it for the first time last week. It's relatively smooth, not much in the way of jarring movements but if you suffer from even a small amount of motion sickness then this is not a good ride for it. It was the only ride that made me feel awful afterwards and I was actually a bit disappointed with it too. I know I'm in the minority but I wouldn't ride it again. The theming however is beautiful and I think it's worth trying it at least once.

I would consider motion sickness and jerkiness of the ride as 2 separate things. I consider FoP to be very smooth with quick drops and swooping motion, not the quick jerks that Star Tours has.
For those prone to motion sickness, I can understand how FoP could make it worse.
I suffer from motion sickness but just had to try FoP and Star Tours and all I can say is I'll never go on either ever again! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!