Flat Stomach?

Zela

<font color=teal>Everyone thinks it's strange that
Is it possible for someone who has lost a lot of weight to ever get rid of that annoying hang over flab on the lower section of their stomach? I was just curious if anyone had actually lost a lot and got rid of it?

That's what tummy tucks are for. Actually, I'd rather view mine as a badge of honor, scars of a battle won.

Honestly, this is one reason I haven't been very motivated to lose weight. Two years ago, I did lose weight after 90 days of planning/doing exercise/food to the exclusion of nearly all else. I lost 25# but the flab fold budged all of 1/4" - so discouraging. So if I'm having the same issue and won't consider a tummy tuck (anesthesia issues), what works to look decent in clothing? I don't need flat but I can't stand a "badge" that flaps in the breeze - eeeew. It seems I'm better off just being fat all over. :sad2: I have met my original goals in joining WISH but I'd like to try the "next level" if I can look better in clothing. Give me some hope, please. :listen:

My personal experience with this is several years ago, I lost over 50 pounds in about 5 months. When I started, I had a 38" waist while I was weighing 212 pounds. I got down to 160 pounds with a 32" waist. I even had the beginnigs of a 6 pack. (Never got all the way there but it was great while it lasted.) I didn't have that flap in the wind problem. I guess I was lucky enough to burn it off. Now, since then I have started working out at the gym and putting on muscle. Although, I don't think I have near enough size, I can say that I have put back on a lot of that weight but I have only put 2" back on my waist. You can get the flat stomach with the right kind of diet and exercise plan. It takes a lot of discipline and dedication but it is very possible.

Have a great day and I wish you a lot of success!!

I think much of it has to do with how much weight you lost, how much of it was in the belly area, and if you've borne children (sorry, Bubba, I think that counts you out!). I think if you get most of the fat gone, it helps, and of course toning your abs goes a long way, but if the skin is stretched out, there's nothing short of surgery gonna fix that. If it's flab and not skin, you could probably reduce it somewhat with diet and exercise.

I've got some flab, so you're correct that I could reduce some. Mostly skin and c-section issues. I've been completely numb from navel to pubic bone for almost 8 years now. (So maybe I could do the tummy tuck after weight loss without anesthesia and it's complications - hah!) So I still need to know how to look decent in clothing with the fold thing. Maybe if I reduce overall, control panties would help but they don't work now unless they are full torso and I move to a much cooler climate. Honestly, I can't be the only one needing a containment device on my chest and abdomen. Afraid of the answer...

DVCkidsMOM said:
I've got some flab, so you're correct that I could reduce some. Mostly skin and c-section issues. I've been completely numb from navel to pubic bone for almost 8 years now. (So maybe I could do the tummy tuck after weight loss without anesthesia and it's complications - hah!) So I still need to know how to look decent in clothing with the fold thing. Maybe if I reduce overall, control panties would help but they don't work now unless they are full torso and I move to a much cooler climate. Honestly, I can't be the only one needing a containment device on my chest and abdomen. Afraid of the answer...
Unfortunately, you're not the only one. Count me in! I probably need a tummy tuck, but I'm a chicken. I've watched too many of those shows where the person's anesthesia wears off during surgery. Yikes! I have a formal event I have to attend in less than four weeks and I've got to find something to minimize my bulging belly. Duct tape, maybe? :rotfl2:

There are stomach control panties, they work pretty well. If you've tried everything else, try these. Most aren't uncomfortable to wear (not like a girdle, just extra spandex.)

i hear ya!

i have lost then regained but i had the yukky flappy skin then and my lower abs has always been an issue. personally, i'd rather be trim all over and a little belly then what would be for me, settling for a porportionally-round lower half. eek! a visual!

anyhow -- don't give up!! all of us!! we can't b/c the alternative stinks!

anyhoo -- pilates would be my other thought -- it takes a few weeks to see/feel the results b/c you are working deep muscles but i feel the strongest in my abs from pilates/yoga.

now -- my other bigger thought is what kind of jeans/pants/skirts are you wearing? low rise - not ultra but the just below the waist - jeans hit right at the tummy and actually camoflauge it rather than "Mom" jeans that go high in the waist, covering the whole lower tummy thing and make it appear to bulge out. have you ever heard of Trinny and Susannah from BBC What not to wear? they teach women how to dress to flatter their shape/figure and feature all sorts of sizes. They have a book out and i need to buy it b/c i went shopping a few weeks ago and wanted those tips at hand!

I know I am in the minority but if I ever lose all my weight and get in great physical shape and I still have my tummy rolls and I have the $$$ I am so getting a tummy tuck. :rolleyes1

I don't know if you're in the minority or not. I'd really like one once I've reached goal, as well as a breast lift, but since I don't have anywhere NEAR the money for it, I figure I better make the best out of it and change my POV.

I've already accepted that when I reach goal, I'm mostly likely going to need something (everything?) tucked. I'm going to consider it well earned!

Re: flattening the stomach, I recently read in a magazine that doing the Pilates prep move (Google it for more info) is pretty effective at flattening the belly, provided there isn't excess fat over it.

I lost 40 last year and got down to my lowest that I had been in 13 years and 2 kids later, but I still had the flab. I exercised, but it never came off. I have been struggling with my weight for as long as I can remember. So.......3 weeks ago this Friday, I had a tummy tuck and lipo on my hips to actually give me some shape. I am so happy with the results so far. I just can't wait for the rest of the swelling to go down. The tummy tuck was easy, it's recovering from the lipo that has been a little more painful.

Wonderful - if you don't mind my asking (or you could contact me off line), how much weight have you lost? Where you at your ideal weight or how close. How much weight did you lose from the surgery?

I am also going to have a tummy tuck (and I hope a thigh lift). I talked to the Dr. and he said I needed to be close to goal weight (which is about 47 more pounds). I was hoping to have it when I lost another 26).

I am just very interested in your experience.

Thanks for sharing

It's probably because when I lost my (46 lbs) weight I was only 18. But I did yoga/pilates and when I eventually got it all off I looked great. Maybe it was a combination but def. try the pilates.

I have had 3 kids, and gone from 145lbs to over 200lbs all three times. I have that belly flap also, and the only thing I have found to cover it up are the Body Shapers. You can find them with pantyhose in places like target. I have used them with dresses, and when wearing other clothes where the flap would be visible underneath. It kind of tucks everything back in place.

Dana

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter