Fixing Repairs on your Own

tommyprince

Earning My Ears
Hey, guys, I was just wondering when it comes to doing repairs at home, do you repair it on your own or hire a professional to take care of it? My toilet clogged and I had to call the plumber again. This is the second time that I have called him this year and it's only the third month. The cash is running out of my purse like wildfire :( I would love to learn at least some basic DIY skills. While doing some research online I came across a blog ( http://www.advancedplumbing.ca/blog...ouble-shooter-fix-common-plumbing-issues-now/ ) that mentioned some tips on how to fix basic plumbing issues. I found it pretty useful but I would love to know more. Can you guys suggest any good tutorial sites or any DIY youtube channels.Any thoughts on this would be great.

Home Depot has DIY clinics . . search: Home Depot Dot Com Workshops

I worked in the Maintenance Department for a few years . . when I would do a home

repair for myself or a friend . . I would look at a few youtube videos to refresh my

memory before I would do a hands on repair.

Example - Ceiling Fan - Light Switch - Electrical Outlet - Kitchen Faucet - Toilet etc

I found the above (Home Depot info) when searching for a DIY for kids

Last edited:
I am a woman. I try to do any home repairs I can by myself. I have changed the pump on my washer 2x, put a new belt on the dryer, replaced my kitchen faucets. etc. I can unclog the toilets or sinks without a plumber. The only times I have needed one are the few that the sewer line itself developed a blockage that I couldn't get rid of. I look on you tube for video's before starting , just to make sure. The only thing I refuse to touch is electric, don't want to burn the place down! Although I did replace a ceiling fan by myself, but the wires were already there, just had to connect them, lol.

I fix a lot of simple things myself, and have DH do the more complicated ones, or ones that require height--like, my DD needs curtains and curtain rods for her room. I could do it, but I'd rather wait and have my tall husband do it, so I don't embarrass myself, falling off a ladder.

I know, years ago, two friends of mine took a class in simple repairs. At the end, they showed off their boards with all their work on them--repairing a switch, installing a doorknob, that sort of thing. I think it's good for everyone to have those sorts of basic skills. Although I will say--I'm an electrical engineer, and I STILL won't repair electrical stuff. Too easy to wrong, and the stakes are too high. DH is a mechanical engineer, so I have to point out to him when a project is just too big/complicated/time consuming for him to take on. Sure, he COULD do it, but if I'm cooking in an electric wok because it takes him weeks to put my kitchen back together, that's the time to have a pro come in!

Please, if you're not comfortable with small repairs, take a course. You're throwing money out the window, calling a plumber for a 2-minute job like unclogging the toilet. Think of the pride and satisfaction you'll feel when you can do it yourself--pat yourself on the back, and pocket the money!

The other thing I recommend is, every woman should have her own small set of tools. You don't need a big set of every wrench known to man. But, I find that having my own hammer, a couple screwdrivers, and pliers, where I know where they are, makes it much easier to hang a picture or replace a battery.

DH does most of the repairs from wiring-outlets, switches, lights, plumbing-changing toilets, faucets, pipes and pretty much anything he thinks he can handle.

Me, I would call 1800 help me!

Beyond changing light bulbs we basically call somebody. DH and I both work in residential construction but have no direct trade background. If we've learned anything over the decades it's that "knowing" how it's done and actually doing it are very different things. :laughing:

As I mentioned in the Home Ec thread, I'm unusual for a guy in that I don't have any interest in home repairs. Sure, if the toilet clogs, I'll use a plunger to try to unclog it. Or I'll paint walls. Anything else, no thanks. Not interested.

OP, you called a plumber for a clogged toilet? That is a pretty simple fix, and plumbers are so expensive. I think it would benefit you alot if you learned how to do some basic things around your house.
I find that youtube is a great resource for simple things.

My dh is very handy and does most repairs around the house, we rarely call anyone. If its something basic I can do myself, all the bigger stuff he can do.

My dad is super handy, so usually we call him. DH and I try to fix things ourselves if we can. I totally took apart the dishwasher and unclogged it by watching a Youtube video.

It really depends on the particulars. I don't like dealing with wiring and plumbing if I have to take stuff apart. Other stuff I will do. A clogged toilet? Get a plunger. A clogged stack? Call the rooter people.

Drywall (Wallboard or Sheetrock depending on your version of English), paint, electrical, plumbing, building lockers or shelves, framing, you name it. I've replaced the motherboard (computer controller) on a dryer for a few bucks when most would have said the dryer is done and bought a new one. Replaced the motherboard on a treadmill as well when it fried. I've soldered copper for plumbing (adding a basement bathroom). Framed in for a new fireplace in the basement.

I generally won't work on HVAC outside of vents and duct work nor will I work on gas lines outside of installing a gas appliance. As the kids and work get older and busier, I'm more inclined to pay people to do what they do well so I have more time to do what I do well.

Regarding the OP though - unless there's more to the story - you really don't know how to plunge a toilet? Don't get me wrong - I can see how that can happen. Makes me realize I need to trust my kids more to do these things, lest I send them out into the world unprepared. I'm probably too inclined to just take care of it myself (or let it sit undone if you ask my wife) vs. risk them making a mess of things as they learn how to do them.

I try to do simple things myself (very simple) but my stepdad is a contractor and knows how to fix all kinds of things. It's good to have a connection for that kind of stuff!

Hey, guys, I was just wondering when it comes to doing repairs at home, do you repair it on your own or hire a professional to take care of it?

We try to do as much as we can ourselves. I think its easier now with the internet and You Tube to show step by step.

Over her Christmas break from college, my DD and I changed the garbage disposal and kitchen faucet in our kitchen. It took all day, but we had fun and I was happy to save a couple hundred bucks vs. calling a plumber.

for mechanical I am very lucky as I have DH, DS or YTU (YouTube University) For intimidating stuff I check out our homeowners site as folks leave recommendations. Honestly, YTU is our most common go-to.

I've built an entire new room top to bottom in our basement (bye the way drywall sucks) with the exception of plumbing the bathroom. I refuse to do any plumbing I sub that out. I always check out a few YouTube videos before I dive into something that I haven't done in a while for a refresher. Heck sometimes I check the videos out and usually find an easier way to do things I "know" how to do already.

We do a certain amount of repairs ourselves, partly because our landlord sucks getting things done and partly because if the repair is under $100, we have to pay for it and then get reimbursed. (things like repairing the rotting fence temporarily, or snaking the drains) But if it's a major must be done NOW thing, I will call and call and call every 15 minutes (tying up at least one of the phone lines) until I get them to send someone.

American Homes For Rent is bad when it comes to maintaining things. just bad. >:( They weren't our landlord when we moved in and if I could find a house in our general area for close to what we pay, when our lease is ending, or one that would accept pets, we'd move. But it seems like the houses always open up during mid-lease for us, or are overpriced or not where we need it to be (different schools) or don't take pets at all. Our current lease is up Dec 1st, and I think we'll go month to month, and move when we get DH's bonus check at the end of December...provided I can find us a new house.

DH grew up in a house where his father actually BUILT their house, from the ground up, literally, and he was very handy. DH grew up learning how to fix just about anything.

Me, on the other hand, grew up in a house where my father could fix small things, but would hire out for most stuff. So I never learned.

I was pretty proud of myself recently though. My older model (HD TV but not the one you can mount on the wall) 60 inch TV went out (picture) and I bought a new bulb for $10 and changed it myself! I now have a working TV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter