"Five Mickey bars hit you like two glasses of wine!" a Jan 2019 adults-only TR *COMPLETED* 6/25

My one true joy in life is making other people laugh (well that and eating)

Well you succeeded! And this is why I like this TR so much, laughter and food, I mean best ever!

Hmmm it is quite a lot of food...what if you do it last thing in the day? Like a late late dinner and then you can just leave the park from there and be comatose??

Maybe I will check it out in December, if we go? We are going, don’t tell DH. August late is going to be really hard with the kids... heat and late and over stimulation not going to be a great mix....one day I will eat there one day!

We are going, don’t tell DH. August late is going to be really hard with the kids... heat and late and over stimulation not going to be a great mix....one day I will eat there one day!
genie zip.gif

Well maybe if you have a day you know you're going to leave the park early and just chill at your hotel then that might be a good night to do it :)

Well boy howdy were we in for more than that! P&A were wearing their anniversary celebration buttons and the Dans thought they would be the perfect couple to hop on in the set with them. The Dans & P sang a song to A and it was absolutely precious. P is actually a really good singer (Jon & P actually met in a music theory class) so it was extra special!
This is great! I adore the Dapper Dans as well. Last summer I was watching their show and there was a couple on their anniversary trip that they sang to as well. It was adorable!

After the set I went to ask for a photo with the group and they were very obliging. Then they made P an honorary member of the Dapper Dans! It was one of those super cool and magical Disney moments and I hope P&A can cherish that memory.
Those moments are one of the things that keeps me coming back to Disney!

Before riding I had mentioned the auction scene change and as we passed it, A leaned over and asked, “Is this where they used to sell women?”

I wish I could say no.
I am a big fan of the change.....much prefer the women in charge!

On our way out we happened upon a random dance party that included all our favorite pals like Br’er Bear, Br’er Rabbit, Clarabelle, and a bunch of very energetic CMs. It was really entertaining but I spent most of the show just thinking to myself “what the heck is happening right now??”
I love this show so much and actually danced the Hokey Pokey with the crew on my March trip. So much fun!

Except that the dinner I booked was at Liberty Tree Tavern. A veritable smorgasbord of American comfort food, most of which was at such a quality that we could not deny ourselves the pleasure of eating far more than we should.
Those desserts!!!! Well everything looks yummy but especially the desserts!

I got done before the rest of the group so I went on a search for a couple more hidden Mickeys. One is the Steamboat Willie that you can see from the Journey of the Little Mermaid exit. Spoiler alert- it’s real real hard to see in the dark.

The gang once again reunited and we went to look for a hidden Oswald near Enchanted Tales with Belle. But first- photopass.
Must look for those next trip!

Those moments are one of the things that keeps me coming back to Disney!
Yes exactly! It’s so hard to describe them to people who just don’t get why we keep going!

much prefer the women in charge!
PREACH

So much fun!
It really was. I might seek it out again next trip!

Well everything looks yummy but especially the desserts!
I have dreams about those desserts. Seriously.

Loving this report so far! You guys seem like a fun group.
Thanks friend!! I’m glad we can make your day a little brighter :)

I’m a straight up serial lurker, but wanted to let you know how much I’m enjoying your trip report - so entertaining. Looking forward to following along.

Now that was an update for the ages!!!

Fun fact for you...The Dapper Dan in the blue suit I think is from the area you live in! At least I know he is a fan of the local baseball team! ;)

I’m a straight up serial lurker, but wanted to let you know how much I’m enjoying your trip report - so entertaining. Looking forward to following along.
Thanks for joining in!!

Now that was an update for the ages!!!

Fun fact for you...The Dapper Dan in the blue suit I think is from the area you live in! At least I know he is a fan of the local baseball team! ;)
He is! Jon was wearing a Royals shirt and he talked about how his dad is from KC!

Sounds like a great MK afternoon. I'm happy to hear the dessert at LTT lived up to the hype. I'm eating at the restaurant for the first time and have heard such mixed reviews recently about the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake that I was getting a little worried. But from your picture it looks to be amazing.

I had no idea about the hidden Oswald! That's something I'll have to keep my eye out for.

Looking forward to hearing about your After Hours experience.

Sounds like a great MK afternoon. I'm happy to hear the dessert at LTT lived up to the hype. I'm eating at the restaurant for the first time and have heard such mixed reviews recently about the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake that I was getting a little worried. But from your picture it looks to be amazing.

I had no idea about the hidden Oswald! That's something I'll have to keep my eye out for.

Looking forward to hearing about your After Hours experience.

I thought the LTT desserts were phenomenal and I hope that you feel the same once you try them!

I am enjoying your trip report!!
Hey thanks! I'm enjoying writing it and it helps to know that I'm not just sitting here like a loser laughing at my own jokes all alone.

I mean I am sitting here like a loser laughing at my own jokes but at least I'm not alone.

After getting the cards I wandered and took a few photos around Town Square but only one of them actually turned out so here you go:

turned out really nicely, though!

The two we were looking for were something from Lady and the Tramp near Tony’s

Hmmm... what was it you were looking for?

the old fashioned phone in the hat shop. We couldn’t find the Lady and the Tramp thing at all and the phone was busted!

It hasn't worked for years. It's still reported in some places though.

We walked out of the hat shop in dejection but our spirits were quickly lifted as we first heard, then saw the Dapper Dans performing near the entrance to the train station.

Love those guys!

The Dans & P sang a song to A and it was absolutely precious.

Wow! I bet!

Then they made P an honorary member of the Dapper Dans!

No way!!

Her face says it all. :goodvibes

• The engines run on oil, not coal
  • The engines stay hot for a really long time. It was still hot to the touch like 6 hours after being shut off.
  • Each of the engines drive differently and have their own personalities, even though they are identical engines that came off the manufacturing line one after the other
  • They were both built in the 20s but were modified with some more modern technology

That's all pretty interesting! That second one really surprised me.

Before riding I had mentioned the auction scene change and as we passed it, A leaned over and asked, “Is this where they used to sell women?”

I wish I could say no.

:laughing:

and...

:sad1:

Anyone know where the hidden Mickeys are in Pecos Bill?

Nope. I've never gotten into that.

On our way out we happened upon a random dance party that included all our favorite pals like Br’er Bear, Br’er Rabbit, Clarabelle, and a bunch of very energetic CMs. It was really entertaining but I spent most of the show just thinking to myself “what the heck is happening right now??”

:lmao: It's a dance party!

Jon and P&A wanted to walk through the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse and that is entirely NOT my cup of tea, so I did something else. Any guesses as to what?

Tiki birds?

:duck:

[Couldn't decide which one I liked better]

I usually can, but... after going back and forth several times... I can't either.

Including some selfies because, well, why not?

:thumbsup2

By selfie time, the gang was back and Jon stepped into his role as Instagram husband to help me with a picture of my mermaid ensemble.

That's what husbands do. It's their job.

Up next was a questionable bit of planning on my part- but hear me out. Last year when Jon and I did Disney After Hours, we didn’t really eat enough real food beforehand and gorging ourselves on the included snacks and ice cream novelties left our stomachs feeling less than stellar. So I thought we could eat an early dinner this time around to avoid said non-stellarness.

I get that. I've done the exact same thing, actually.

Except that the dinner I booked was at Liberty Tree Tavern.

In that exact spot. Dang that's a good meal.

“Hear ye, hear ye- Mermaid family from the territory of Missouri!” (Not sure if I’ve mentioned my last name on here yet so I’ll keep that incognito to maintain some semblance of a care for my cyber security).

Nah. Go ahead. I do it all the time.

:rolleyes1

We were seated and beveraged (this needs to be a verb)

Yes it does!

(but hey- bread is bread. And you don’t get to be this shape by being particular about your carbs).

You get beautiful by eating bread???

Huh. I need to eat more bread...

The sides were all good with the real standout being the mashed potatoes. The mac and cheese was very standard (but again- I’m not particular) and the green beans were…vegetative,

I felt the same. I was disappointed about the mac n cheese. I expected more.

Jon also said the stuffing was “fantastic” and I have to take his word for it because I don’t eat stuffing

The stuffing is soooooo good!!

Then came the real reason I picked LTT- the dessert.

Oh, Lord. Yusss!!!

Well….it didn’t end up being that cold and the extra backpack full of cozies was certainly not needed. P&A were good sports about it though and I’m just glad we weren’t freezing all night!

But if you hadn't brought them... you would've needed them.

After our unnecessary locker room pit stop, it was time to pick up our lanyards for DAH! Except they weren’t lanyards this time, they were wristbands (helloooo budget cuts). The lanyards were actually a really cool keepsake so I was a little sad that they weren’t around anymore.

Yeah... shame, really.

Twins!

One is the Steamboat Willie that you can see from the Journey of the Little Mermaid exit. Spoiler alert- it’s real real hard to see in the dark.

It's hard to see in the daytime!

After much searching, we were eventually successful in finding Oswald.

Nice! Where is that? I mean... where exactly... not just "near Enchanted Tales with Belle"?

Has anyone seen him before?? He’s a pretty rad rabbit. A radbit.

Got pretty far behind while I was on my own trip!

Well boy howdy were we in for more than that! P&A were wearing their anniversary celebration buttons and the Dans thought they would be the perfect couple to hop on in the set with them. The Dans & P sang a song to A and it was absolutely precious. P is actually a really good singer (Jon & P actually met in a music theory class) so it was extra special!
That is so sweet! Fun for him to sing with them too!

We were seated and beveraged (this needs to be a verb) and before long our first course was out- salad and rolls. The salad was better than I anticipated, mostly due to the dressing which had a taste I wasn’t quite familiar with. The rolls were fine but pretty obviously pre-packaged dinner rolls (but hey- bread is bread. And you don’t get to be this shape by being particular about your carbs).
Mmm, mmm, mmm! Loved our meal at LTT last week! I think the dressing was a Honey-Shallot dressing, very yummy!

The sides were all good with the real standout being the mashed potatoes. The mac and cheese was very standard (but again- I’m not particular) and the green beans were…vegetative, but man those potatoes were straight up delightful. Jon also said the stuffing was “fantastic” and I have to take his word for it because I don’t eat stuffing (okay so I’m a tiny bit particular about my carbs). Of the mains I think we all preferred the pork. The turkey was good, too, but the roast was a little on the dry side.
I loved the mac and cheese! The turkey and roast were very good, but we actually didn't like the pork that much. When they brought out the food we thought it looked pretty dry, but thankfully it didn't end up being that way!

I got done before the rest of the group so I went on a search for a couple more hidden Mickeys. One is the Steamboat Willie that you can see from the Journey of the Little Mermaid exit. Spoiler alert- it’s real real hard to see in the dark.
It's hard enough to see in the light - can't imagine in the dark!

Hmmm... what was it you were looking for?
I think it's supposed to be some paw prints in the concrete but I have yet to find them so I'm not certain.

Her face says it all. :goodvibes
Yes! It was so special

I usually can, but... after going back and forth several times... I can't either.
I'm glad I'm not the only indecisive one. They both have something interesting to offer.

I get that. I've done the exact same thing, actually.
Whew glad I'm not the only extra hungry oe!

But if you hadn't brought them... you would've needed them.
Exactly. This is exactly what would have happened.

Nice! Where is that? I mean... where exactly... not just "near Enchanted Tales with Belle"?
It's about 20ish paces away from the entrance to Enchanted Tales with Belle in the main walkway area of New Fantasyland. It's right where 3 cracks in the ground come together and form kind of a Y.

Got pretty far behind while I was on my own trip
I guess I can forgive you- you have been pretty busy!

I think the dressing was a Honey-Shallot dressing, very yummy!
Ooo yes that sounds right!

When they brought out the food we thought it looked pretty dry, but thankfully it didn't end up being that way!
It's probably very dependent on the day/time of the meal on what turns out and what doesn't. As long as most of it is yummy, I'm good with it.

It's hard enough to see in the light - can't imagine in the dark![/QUOTE
Guess I'll just have to go back soon and try in the daylight!

I hope I come up with a chapter title by the time I post this

I didn’t have a specific game plan for After Hours except for one thing- I wanted to watch HEA from a very specific spot to start it all off. Timing was very important for this plan and so we made our way toward Frontierland. But naturally we were very quickly sidetracked by a 5 min wait time posted for Haunted Mansion.

We figured we had just enough time to get through the mansion (assuming none of us were chosen to be the 1000th haunt) and get to our HEA spot. But naturally there were a few slight delays and by the time we walked off I was in Full-On Go Mode.

For those of you who don’t know me well, Full-On Go Mode is a state that I enter as a deadline (self-imposed or otherwise) approaches and I find myself further away from accomplishing my goal (usually the arrival at some predetermined destination) than I would like. I become increasingly agitated and I usually take it out on those closest to me (if they can keep up). Jon is very well acquainted with Full-On Go Mode.

Thankfully, Full-On Go Mode helped us accomplish our goal (as it usually does- though Jon may disagree) and we got in line for BTMRR right as HEA was starting. P&A hadn’t seen the show yet so it was kind of weird to have them hear/watch it from far away but I didn’t want to waste precious DAH time by watching the show and fighting the crowds in the hub.

[I took this photo later on in the evening but there’s been way too much text so far. Full-On Go Mode is not conducive to picture-taking]

So instead we watched the show while on the ride, then caught the finale near the ride exit. This is still my favorite spot to watch HEA aside from the hub. It’s so cool to watch the fireworks go off from a different angle and see them as you come around the bends and up the hills. If you haven’t tried it- I highly recommend it! Although it can be tricky to time (but significantly easier during DAH).

With HEA over, we made our first popcorn stop, and I was pleasantly surprised when they filled my popcorn bucket instead of making me take one of the boxes! I feel like last year there were reports that they wouldn’t fill popcorn buckets (and I didn’t discover the magic of popcorn buckets until very recently, so unfortunately I have no data of my own to corroborate).

With Buckey all full of popped corn goodness we got in line for our second ride of DAH- Splash Mountain. We figured we would take advantage of non-existent line and slightly warmer than expected weather to get it out of the way for the trip. And man I am so glad we did.

On all of our rides we tried to come up with silly ideas for photo poses and so we thought of one, then I told them all the trick to a good Splash photo is to hold the pose until the flash and then duck so you don’t get wet.

Well the timing for the photo was off and instead of our super awesome hilarious idea (which I’ve forgotten by now), we got this:

As you can probably surmise, Jon was far too slow in ducking and got absolutely drenched. The rest of us came out alright but Jon was just soaked. And to make it even better there’s the smug-looking family behind us who obviously came much more prepared. We laughed for like 10 minutes coming off of that ride and it is probably one of my top 5 memories from the trip.

Jon decided that he needed a snack to help feel better about his soggy self so we grabbed the first of many Mickey Bars for the night.

Then we hit Tomorrowland and rode Buzz, Space Mountain, and the Astro Orbiter.

[Turns out Buckey is a horrible shot]

[The idea with this one was to display a full range of emotion. A is happy, Jon is confused, P is seething with hatred]

[And of course I got separated #4peopleonspacemountainprobs]

[I’ve only ever ridden this ride during DAH. It is admittedly a pretty poor use of time during the event, but it’s so cool to see everything lit up at night]

Next up was snack stop #3!

We wanted to ride 7DMT next but it was down. We were all pretty sad about that because we didn’t get FPs for it on any other day because we thought we would be able to ride it during DAH. So we went on a conciliatory carousel ride instead.

Our next stop was a meeting with the Main Mouse but we had several distractions along the way. The first was another snack (this is #4 if you’re keeping count) for a very specific reason- photos.

[When else is the line short enough and the weather cool enough to keep a Mickey Bar from melting while you get photos taken in front of a nearly-empty castle??]

We finished our snack and moved down Main Street a little ways to get even more photos.

And before making it to Mickey we had yet one more photo stop. This one was to celebrate the new man in my life.

At long, long last we made it to Mickey. It was a fun reunion for P&A and it was one of the only full group photos that we took.

And of course Buckey had to meet his hero

When we emerged from Mickey’s lair we saw that 7DMT was back up so you can bet your bottom Schrute Buck that we hightailed it back to Fantasyland for a chance to ride! The line was a whopping 15 minutes (real good for normal day wait times but real bad for DAH wait times) but we knew it might be our only chance to ride it so we went for it.

Since we were nearby we also went for the lantern photo. Jon & I got one done last year but I’m all for more photos and somehow I convinced him to do it again! I wasn’t as pleased with the quality of the photo this time (something about the lighting wasn’t quite as magical) but Buckey and I got a special moment.

[None of the ‘good’ photos were any good so this is what you get]
For reference, here's last years far superior lantern photo:

P&A also got some lantern photos and they were pretty fantastic.

[And this right here is why we’re friends]

DAH was winding down and we had enough time for snack stop #5 and one more ride. We thought it appropriate to end the night where we began it and made our way back to Frontierland and BTMRR. We rode once and still had some more time so we went back through the line to ride again! After the 2nd ride when we got into the station the CM told us we could just stay on and ride one more time.

That’s never happened to me before! Even at DAH last year they made us get off and walk back through every time. So it was a cool Disney first and a fantastic way to end our night.

We danced down Main Street on our way out, and we stopped so P&A could commemorate their time as CMs:

[Hmm seems like one of them has more fond memories than the other...]

We also caught the Kiss Goodnight (the actual Kiss Goodnight and not that random, unidentified show from earlier in our trip) and as we left the park, the title of this trip report was born as A told me, “Wow, five Mickey bars hits you like two glasses of wine!”

I've never done BTMRR at MK before, but I have rode it at Disneyland during the fireworks and I can agree, it's a magical experience. 10/10 would recommend and do again. I'm sure it was weird for your HEA newbies, but they'll be glad they did it that way in the long run I'm sure.

Love the Mickey bar photo shoots in front of the castle. Looks like you were having way too much fun with melty ice cream in your hands and not eating it but taking photos instead lol

I've never done BTMRR at MK before, but I have rode it at Disneyland during the fireworks and I can agree, it's a magical experience. 10/10 would recommend and do again. I'm sure it was weird for your HEA newbies, but they'll be glad they did it that way in the long run I'm sure.

Love the Mickey bar photo shoots in front of the castle. Looks like you were having way too much fun with melty ice cream in your hands and not eating it but taking photos instead lol
I love the Mickey bar photos but I definitely only recommend them when the temperature is below 70 hahaha.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!