First week of May, busy?

bluedolph1n

Mouseketeer
We are going to Orlando April 30th untill May 8th. I was looking for the express passes for Universal, but for that week, the prices for these passes are the highest, except for the weekend. :confused3 Is that a busy week for Universal? Should I already buy passes, or wait untill we are there?

Thanks for all the help!

We are going to Orlando April 30th untill May 8th. I was looking for the express passes for Universal, but for that week, the prices for these passes are the highest, except for the weekend. :confused3 Is that a busy week for Universal? Should I already buy passes, or wait untill we are there?

Thanks for all the help!
Historically no...that's not a busy week but you're right...the EP's are $45.99 during that week. I can't imagine why it's so much that week. :confused3

well that is a bit concerning...I wonder if they have some big groups booked to come in that week.

We always go for a few days during the last week of April - this year we moved our vacation to the first week in May. I'm wondering if we should try to get an onsite hotel for one night so we can enjoy FOTL perks.

What is a good rate for their hotels? Right now I can get a room at Royal Pacific for $249 or Hard Rock for $289 (+ tax). At this point, I would be looking for the cheapest option just in case it appears crowd levels will be higher than usual.

Thanks!

ETA: Also, we usually go on Monday and either Wed or Thursday. If we do stay onsite and use FOTL on a weekend, would we spend more time in the FOTL than we would on a weekday without FOTL? (Does that make sense)? Just looking for a general idea....thnx

One of the things you need to watch as you go in May is the school groups. We've been there a couple of times when the school kids have just taken over. Once was a band thing and the other time, I can't remember. These tend to be Fridays.

My DH and I went two years ago during the second week of May. It was not busy at all towards the first part of the week. We got on everything with maybe a 10-15 minute wait. However, the closer it got to Memorial Day, the busier it got. I think you will be fine!

Last year we went around the same time, we did Disney then, and the crowds were ok, not too busy. I know here in The Netherlands the kids have holiday, but well, we are such a small country, that is probably not a reason it could be crowded. ;) Thanks for all the replies, I also thought we would be ok, but were wondering why the expresses passes were so high.

My birthday is the first week of May, and we are usually at Universal that week.

The school groups do tend to take over.

The past several years, it was bad on Thursday and Friday. Last year, we saw some on Wednesday as well. It gets worse as the week goes on.

The good news is that most (not all) do not have express.

A lot of people did tend to buy express passes those days though. We were glad we were on site.

The school groups are one reason we are rethinking our Universal trips at that time of year. They really are oblivious. As in taking up the whole walk way, or just stopping in the middle of the walk way and backing things up. They tend to forget that there are people inside of the park that are not part of their school celebrations.

The universal website shows that on Friday night that week there is a middle school gradventure... but other than that, the rest of the week looks okay.

I'm also traveling during that time period, and I know that it used to be the cheapest price... something must be up, right?

So I shot them an email asking why the express passes were so high, yada yada yada, and they called me back. The explanation was that it was cinco de mayo and the start of their summer season. Thoughts? Wouldn't it be busy like this every year then? Maybe the new roller coaster opens?

YAY! Looks like they changed their pricing for that week. Now, it's the lowest price May 3-7 ($25.99) and $30.99 on Fri/Sat May 8-9.

Feeling much better now :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter