First Week of January Crowds

beagles7278

Censorship is Alive and Well
Looked at a crowd calendar for the first week of January and it is showing 9 all week. We have done Christmas and the crowds are nuts, we went 7 or 8 years ago and it seemed Jan 2nd someone pulled the fire alarm and we had the place to ourselves.

We have reservations for 2018 through Jan 6th, is it really that bad after Jan 1st? I know there is the marathon but didn't think it would be too crazy.

As always thanks for your comments.

I actually thought the same thing- that the crowds would go down on Jan. 2nd.... not the case this year! We were at the Fort from 12/27-1/7. The parks were still really crowded that first week of January. We did rope drop and used our fast passes, so we were able to do everything we wanted to do, but it was crowded.

The last few years it hasn't cleared out until the second week of January. I wish we could go later but it doesn't work for us.

From what I recall, there used to be talk about how the Florida schools don't return until the second week of January so you still have a lot of Florida residents hanging around.

Me personally, I love the end of January. The weekend after MLK weekend is sweet. But don't tell anyone. We don't want others to know and make it all crowded.

1) WDW is filling all slow-periods with activities to increase attendance.
2) And, it is working.
3) There truly are no more "SLOW" periods.
4) However, "slower" periods are
. . . last two weeks of January (after MLK)
. . . first two weeks of November

NOTE: Slow period projections relate to park attendance and resort rooms. The Fort is different. Lots of retired folks or Snow Birds use these periods for camping. (Many don't even go to the parks, much to the dismay of WDW.) So, The Fort is most available during the Hot/Humid months of July and August.

I just got back from being at the Fort from Monday Jan 2 and leaving Tuesday Jan 10.

Given the way New Years Day falls in 2018 (on a Monday), many school systems are reluctant to start back soon after then get cut off by the weekend. So many wait until the following Monday to start back. When NYD falls on a Thursday or Friday, that leaves only a few days before school starts.

I know in our case we came that week precisely BECAUSE the school calendar (albeit college) allowed us to fit this visit in. I did the Marathon and runners plus family attending impact the weekend days for sure.

This year NYD was on a Sunday so same thing occured.

We were in the MK on Wednesday Jan 4 and it felt VERY crowded but then again it was the park for Evening EMH. The other thing is AK and DHS are half-day to three-quarter day parks so I think people park-hop to MK late in the day.

It is what it is. You are still better off than being there during the crazy time Christmas-NYD. The first week of January is not low but lower than the prior week.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
I just got back from being at the Fort from Monday Jan 2 and leaving Tuesday Jan 10.

Given the way New Years Day falls in 2018 (on a Monday), many school systems are reluctant to start back soon after then get cut off by the weekend...It is what it is. You are still better off than being there during the crazy time Christmas-NYD. The first week of January is not low but lower than the prior week.

Bama Ed
Good to know. I'm considering a trip during the first week of January next year because it's the only time our school district (I'm a teacher) has given that week to us off. I don't expect low crowds, but knowing it's likely to be better than Christmas week madness is reassuring.

Last edited:

First week of January has all the crazy runners there or coming in for race weekend Oh wait I resemble that remark

I really need to get back into shape and start running. Don't know if I would ever "Resemble" that remark, but it would be nice to work my way towards that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!